Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 3:45 am

pat2rome wrote:
I don't understand it at all, and it annoys me. How do you think you can diagnose someone you've never met based on certain things you've "seen"?

That about sums up my feelings - I see these threads, and a lot of them, that cherry-pick the minutest of incidents (often acted incidents, and not even natural behaviour), or postures, or strange phrases or even how people hold their fingers. Sure, everyone has autistic traits and engage in some behaviours that might look autistic sometimes - especially for dramatic value, e.g. stimming in action movies. But I don't see any benefit to discussing them, and I mean this in an "I don't understand" rather than a STFU way. Most people, most of the time (especially slebs) are not autistic - like Callista said, if they are impaired by autistic traits and still famous, then that really would be interesting.

I find Wrong Planet a great way of crowd-sourcing solutions from people with similar problems, so if a famous golfer actually had AS and still managed to wander comfortably amongst crowds because of some method of focusing on his special interest (presumably golf), then I would like to learn what his method is - and maybe even how to use it. But I don't feel any great benefit from gossiping about his supposed status, or me-too identification with how he holds the club in some unusual "autistic way", or socializing with other people interested in sleb gossip.

Sorry if I am very blunt.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 7:46 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
It took me 46 years to finally find out I was autistic. Now don't tell me that we're going to start letting all the riffraff in. :wink:

I gotta say that's genius. :D

Cleverly put.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 7:48 am

StuartN wrote:
I find Wrong Planet a great way of crowd-sourcing solutions from people with similar problems, so if a famous golfer actually had AS and still managed to wander comfortably amongst crowds because of some method of focusing on his special interest (presumably golf), then I would like to learn what his method is - and maybe even how to use it. But I don't feel any great benefit from gossiping about his supposed status, or me-too identification with how he holds the club in some unusual "autistic way", or socializing with other people interested in sleb gossip.

Sorry if I am very blunt.

I think this was related to my post, so I'm going to answer it. I didn't say Tiger Woods is autistic. I used him as an an example (maybe a bad one) for someone that's been in the news lately with NTs going on and on about he does and doesn't do, or say. I really have no interest. My interest in pretty much anything isn't what anything does, or doesn't do, but WHY. This extends to people. I want to know why people are the way they are. Maybe, I naively assumed that the threads that are discussing a celebrity's behavior was about analyzing all the different reasons for it, and that it was just a discussion, and that when the thread was all said and done no one would be diagnosed one way or another. One of my special interests is psychology, especially disorders. I like to discuss human behavior, though I do admit that I very rarely participate in the kinds of threads this thread is about. I can see why someone would want to, though. The only time I find it irritating is when the OP already has their mind made up that the subject of their thread is indeed autistic, and gets pissed off at others discussing the possibility that they're not, or that they have some other disorder. Why even bring it up for discussion if you're going to be so biased? At the end of the thread no one really knows one way or another anyway.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 9:25 am

serenity wrote:
I didn't say Tiger Woods is autistic.

I assumed you were referring to a thread that did say he is(in fact there are several Tiger Woods posts on Wrong Planet), and they would probably be exactly the kind of posts I meant.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 9:30 am

StuartN wrote:
serenity wrote:
I didn't say Tiger Woods is autistic.

I assumed you were referring to a thread that did say he is(in fact there are several Tiger Woods posts on Wrong Planet), and they would probably be exactly the kind of posts I meant.

Ha Ha! I used that as an example because I thought that was the most far fetched situation plausible. I thought I'd use someone that was recently in the news, but that from my POV was clearly NT (though disodered in other ways). I didn't see those threads, but yeah I see your point about how it can get to be ridiculous.