Do you ever wonder what its like to be a girl?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Is it easier to be a girl or a boy?
Boy 44%  44%  [ 28 ]
Girl 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Not Sure 44%  44%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 63

pinkdoughnut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2010, 1:55 am

I have to deal with a lot of the BS "female" stereotypes. I am physically attractive, and for some reason this fact causes NTs to make even more assumptions than they would based solely on my gender. I also have an OK sense of "style" I suppose, and I wear a little bit of makeup (I only do it to procure sexual partners!), so people sometimes assume that I am interested fashion or beauty. I get accused of "acting" sometimes when NTs observe my AS traits. When I am knowledgeable in one of my specialized interests, people appear very surprised. Whats most disturbing to me is that NT females have been in the past more capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation with me than NT males are, yet the NT female stereotype seems to describe a person who is incapable of logical thought.

I'm sure if I were male people would accuse me of BS things based on the male stereotype. It doesn't really matter. True, we do live in a society where it is socially acceptable for males to dominate females either socially or financially, and that fact is horrible. Males are expected to eradicate their emotions and become dead inside, and great importance is placed on earning money. That can't be pleasant either. Females probably do have it a million times worse, because they are sometimes treated like virtual slaves, but I believe that the "ordinary" way of relating sexually is bad on both sides. Its not very empathetic that's for sure.

The female stereotype:
This person is obsessed with her physical apprentice. She will spend hours on it, to the point where it makes her late for appointments or scheduled meetings and starts to interfere negatively with her life. She has sporadic emotional outbursts and is incapable of grasping empirical logic or really anything "intellectual" that doesn't involve raising children. Like people with AS she has specialized interests, usually having to do with people or methods of decorating oneself. She spends most of her time with friends and is socially manipulative.

The male stereotype:
Naturally smarter, stronger, and better than his female counterpart, the male stereotype is always superior. He has few stupid emotions to cloud his judgment, and is usually calm and controlled. Everyone is expected to respect his dominance, or else. His dominance is incredibly important to him and he will become distraught if any measure of it lost. He is capable of great intellectual pursuits but is completely incapable of empathy, similar to people with antisocial personality disorder.

Of course there are variations in stereotypes, but every stereotype I've ever heard described sounded like a person who might have sat next to me in special ed.

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2010, 4:50 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:
While personally I think I would rather be female (but I don't think pursuing it now would be rewarding), I do think males have it easier. Besides the biological advantages (no pregnancy, no menstruation, no menopause, and stronger on average) males simply don't have as much expectations. Sure, certain groups of males have expectations, but overall you can do a lot of things as a male. There's much less of a stereotype people want you to fit in, you have many options.

There's also the remaining discrimination. It's not as bad as it was, sure, but males still generally have it easier. (With the exception of middle-aged men, I'd think)

Agreed almost fully, even to the point where I think I'd better suit being a girl (on the otherhand, I have no interest in clothes etc. but have been tempted to try and fit the "Prep" lifestyle more than once) - yet feel no need to pursue it because, quite frankly, I like my current anatomy, so to speak.

On the otherhand, the thing that really ticks me off is that girls can be overly social with eachother to show their friendship and it not mean a thing (e.g. hugs etc.), but with guys, the slightest thing and everyone would over-react... when one of my friends are upset, it's so tempting to pat them on the back, but I never do because I fear they would react, for example... :?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:03 am

ive always wondered what it would be like to be a girl they can express emotions without being called the only time it was acceptable for me was when my mom broke up with her last boyfriend a few months ago then he committed suicide 4 days later and i was the last one to see him alive because i was home sick that day and he came over to get a few things then an hour later the Merced Sheriff came over and told me he swerved into a big rig in the other lane i cried for 2 weeks and because of what happened no1 picked on me for crying but then i prefer being a guy cuz i dont have to go through pregnancy or periods

Pyroguy44
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2010, 4:01 am

Call it creepy, but I have many times thought what it was like to be a girl, even though I confirmed that it was purely driven by my interest in girls in all ways.

Despite all my Rage I'm still just a rat in a Cage"
-"Bullet with Butterfly wings&am

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2010, 5:04 pm

I voted for not sure because I've NEVER BEEN both, lol.

http://www.myviewonautismessay.webs.com

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm

there are advantages and disadvantages of being a boy and a girl.

girls get raped more often than boys. girls have to deal with their periods. girls get sexually harassed more than boys do.

boys get called "guys" when they are in junior high school. cisgender females get called "girls" even when they are 50 years old.

since i was in 6th grade, i have been obsessed. preoccupied. with it. precious little "people" say "guys and girls". as if "girl" is the linguistic equivalent of "guy". totally sexist. a "guy" could be any age.

all the presidents have been men. men have much more political power than women.

sexism, homophobia, transphobia

sexism

i am trans.

:oops: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :| :ninja: :jester: :nerdy: :skull:

adorkablegeekgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm

The patriarchy hurts everyone, including boys, but it hurts girls more. No, it is not easier to be a girl, it is horribly scary to be a girl. This is what it is like: You are far more likely to be raped, abused, or murdered. Often men get away with this in court or get light sentences because the girl was wearing this thing or that thing and was therefore "asking for it." You would make less, be respected less, and be expected to base your entire life around getting a man and having babies. People would ridicule you and call you selfish for wanting a career. You would have men constantly trying to explain things to you even when you obviously are more educated than they are. You would be expected to constantly look great, even if you're sick and miserable or half asleep. You'd be pressured to diet and be as thin as humanly possible, but no matter what shape you are, your physical appearance will always be critiqued before your personality. Men would think it is funny to make sexual comments towards you when they don't even know you, and stalk you or threaten you because you won't have sex with them- how dare you? You may be murdered for turning down an unstable man. Even if you're a lesbian, you will be sexualized by men, who will want "a threesome" or for you to have sex with your girlfriend in front of them. Men would feel entitled to talk over you, would use being a woman like you as an insult, would see any of your interests as lesser because they are interests of a woman. You're not a "real" nerd, never mind that the first sci-fi book was written by Mary Shelley, (a woman), woman can't like intelligent, interesting things. You must like it because your boyfriend does. Television shows would have very few, if any, well-developed characters of your gender. Good luck finding role models. No, you probably won't be the president. You have periods... Which suck. You would be the one to give birth... Which sucks. You are expected to do more chores. You are expected to be emotionally unstable. And oh yeah, you are expected to not have an ASD, because it's less common and less studied in women, so the tests are centered around how it presents in males. So you're less likely to get diagnosed. Less likely to get help. More likely to be called a liar. By everyone. And more likely to be isolated anyways, because only men are allowed to be socially stunted.
There are things I love about being female, but easier? Hahahahaha... no.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm

Sometimes, but imagining a scenerio of me as a girl and experiencing the differences is difficult to comprehend sometimes.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 27, 2017)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 5:34 pm

I don't mind being a girl, but I hate what society expects me to "change into." I absolutely detest what the media implies as well! When I grow up, I am supposed to get married, wear makeup, be some stupid air headed little creature, be weak physically, and have to change to fit what society expects? While not all of this is completely unexaggerated, some of it is really what is expected. What if I don't want to do those things? What if I don't want to get married, have children, spend time on my appearance, etc.? I am pretty much the opposite of a feminist is some regards. Because I have such a male way of thinking, I don't like it when there are stereotypes put on anyone (male or female) because I won't ever fit those stereotypes. What if I never want to grow up? Sure, I can get taller and more adult like physically, but why do I have to do all these things that "everyone else" does when they grow up? I hate social norms!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2017, 7:39 pm

It's easier to be a boy generally in the world, girls have it pretty sh***y in a lot of cultures. In my country though which is Norway and also the rest of the Scandinavian countries I think it's pretty much gender equality now. We have lots of girls in powerful positions in government, maybe even more so then men. Our prime minister is a woman. Also girls tend to get better grades in school.

If I wished I could be a girl? Sure it would be an interesting experience, at least where I live. I would of course be a hot lesbian girl doing cosplay haha :)

Also interestingly I think it's about to become more normal with gender switching with Virtual Reality. I have seen it myself in social VR spaces like VRChat where people can design their own Avatars and be whoever or whatever they want, even changing their voices and stuff. I've fooled people myself into believing I was a girl just by having a female avatar over a long period of time, that was a pretty interesting experience. In the end I got really nervous though because a lot of people would start asking more intimate questions and friend me. I then changed account and username going back to my normal self, virtual reality can be pretty intense and intimate. For anyone that have read the book Ready Player One there's a case of a character switching sex in a Virtual Reality world. The movie is out early next year I think being directed by Steven Spielberg. And soon after we'll get some pretty neat next generation VR headsets hitting market. The first generation has been cool with the Rift and the Vive but the second generation is gonna be a jump in quality for sure. It'll blow people minds with all the possibilities.

Here's a well known example of a person in the VR community who went all the way out transforming herself. I guess she was a girl just trapped in a mans body. https://www.youtube.com/user/eVRydayVR/videos

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I don't mind being a girl, but I hate what society expects me to "change into." I absolutely detest what the media implies as well! When I grow up, I am supposed to get married, wear makeup, be some stupid air headed little creature, be weak physically, and have to change to fit what society expects? While not all of this is completely unexaggerated, some of it is really what is expected. What if I don't want to do those things? What if I don't want to get married, have children, spend time on my appearance, etc.? I am pretty much the opposite of a feminist is some regards. Because I have such a male way of thinking, I don't like it when there are stereotypes put on anyone (male or female) because I won't ever fit those stereotypes. What if I never want to grow up? Sure, I can get taller and more adult like physically, but why do I have to do all these things that "everyone else" does when they grow up? I hate social norms!

I hate it that too, women don't need to follow those social norms. The stereotypes of women have also been going on for long enough, and the sexualization of women is something that I especially don't like to see. I honestly hope for reform in women's rights, and that sexualization of them would decrease. It would probably be better than the society we have right now.