Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2010, 11:34 pm

I've been watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" episodes on Netflix lately, and I finally realized why I always liked Anya and related to her so well. She has a bit of the "Wrong Planet" thing going on herself to a certain extent. She goes from being a demon to being a modern human which is a big cultural and physical transition, and she is often criticized or laughed at for her unconventional approach to things. She also interprets things literally.

Did anyone else who watched/watches this show find the Anya character to be especially interesting and relatable?

I also found Spike to be an especially interesting character, but that's for entirely different reasons :wink: .

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 12:02 am

I think I am a mixture of Anaya and Willow. The nerd and the demon (ex- vengeance demon)...probably the two most socially inept characters on the show. =)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a wonderful show. . It took me a while to get into it....but now I think it is one of the most witty, entertaining series I've ever seen. The latest craze seems to be vampire shows, books etc. All these new shows have come out lately vampire diaries, twilight etc., are such crap compared to Buffy, (actually in my opinion those shows are just crap on their own). I'm glad someone else on WP watches it.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 12:07 am

....and, yes, Anaya is very aspie-like and always takes things literally. I've never really thought about that before.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 8:03 am

Oh, yeah, Anya has been on the fictional aspie lists since she first was introduced on the show. I love the repeated references to her by other characters -- and even by Anya herself -- as being "strange and so literal." And, as someone with both asperger's and a degree in economics I get a big kick out of money being one of her two main perseverations. :-)

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2010, 3:30 pm

Yeah she does seem a little Aspie.
Personally I can't bloody stand her =.=

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:43 pm

Xule wrote:
Yeah she does seem a little Aspie.
Personally I can't bloody stand her =.=

That's often an aspie trait in itself, sad to say.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 9:55 pm

I love the show but haven't watched it for a few years, well before I'd even heard about Aspergers, let alone knew I have it.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 8:01 pm

I loved Anya's character. Along with Willow and Giles, she was the only one I really related to.

Oh damn - I've just revived a near decade-old thread.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 9:26 pm

Personally I love Anya for her fear of bunnies.

I never really thought about whether she was Aspie and did not know at the time that I watched the show that I was autistic. I always related more to the "nerdy" characters (Willow, Giles, Wesley, and Fred), and while Anya has that fish out of water thing going she is not "nerdy."

I do think Anya had the worst storylines of any major Buffy character with the possible exception of Dawn.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 5:09 am

I thought her being tyrannised by her mother to the point of physical possession - and subsequently overcoming it, going from being a demure, awkward, background figure to being a valued part of the broader group - was a really good albeit somewhat clichéd storyline.

EDIT: I just realised that I'm talking about a completely different character here. I wasn't thinking of Anya, but of Amy.