Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 4:19 am

Linky

"The doctor who first suggested a link between MMR vaccinations and autism has been struck off the medical register. .

The General Medical Council found Dr Andrew Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct over the way he carried out his controversial research."

The year is still young.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 4:53 am

Found this cartoon summary of the whole MMR episode, cartoon seems a great way to get a message across

http://tallguywrites.livejournal.com/148012.html

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 3:20 pm

Yay! ^_^

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 4:15 pm

I would say that this is a step in the right direction. I am glad that the GMC have taken this action.

I would be interested to know if it will make it harder for Wakefield to get a medical license in the USA.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2010, 6:09 pm

Best news I've read in a while.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 7:11 pm

I agree... and I'm going to admit here and now that I'm one of the ones who believed him. I didn't vaccinate my son, and he's still aspie. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

The point is, lots of people scurried round him when he was "popular", but will go quiet and hope their idiocy wasn't noticed by anyone else.

I on the other hand feel compelled to admit that I was taken in by this charlatan... and even if nobody else is prepared to admit it, I'll fess up. I'm an intelligent, well educated person, and I fell for him. Apparently I'm the only mother in England who did... well, at least I'm the only honest mother in England.

Never mind... I'm glad he's been punished for what he did.

Now, could we see a class action suit by people who's kids were genuinely damaged by the outbreaks of measles etc that followed this charlatans confidence trick?