Being called weird by people also considered to be weird

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 3:54 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
Weird is good! Who'd want to be like everyone else? Boooring.

One of the things about people that I will never understand is how many people of a marginalized minority still have a negative, close-minded attitude toward other marginalized minorities. Not all of them, of course, but many of them.

Why is it that people seem to assume that "weird" or "different" must be bad? Sometimes different is bad, but often it is simply neutral or even good. Why pass judgment on different until you are sure which category it belongs to? Often, "simply neutral" ends up classified as "good" in my book because it adds to diversity. And even weird that turns out to be bad can teach you something. No wonder weird always attracts me like a moth to a flame! It's a good thing, too--if it weren't for weird people, I wouldn't ever have made any friends at all.

It's good you view it in a positive light, but it's usually not a compliment. The "weird" kids are avoided by many, bullied, make awkward statements, and generally get less respect. With that connotation, I've never liked it when somebody calls me weird.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2010, 12:28 pm

My psychiatrist called me weird. What else can you do when a doctor calls you weird? Just shrug your shoulders and say 'hay ho; whatever will be, will be.'

nere-chan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jun 2010, 2:41 pm

Maybe calling you weird makes her feel less weird, who knows. BTW, my friends and I call ourselves "weird" (well, we aren't english but we use a similar spanish word) in an affectionate way, but I suppose that being called this by a non-friend have different connotations (not that I am an expert of this, all I know of social skills is that there are so many factors involved (the tone, a smile, the context, the level of friendship, etc) that you usually lost part of the message)

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:51 am

It's a badge of honor. Freaks among the freaks. Enjoy it. It's only the people who are "too weird for the weird" that have anything interesting to say. If you haven't been rejected by a group of so-called weird people I don't even feel like we're on the same planet. Consider it a rite of passage. :)