Where on the 'scale' do you think I am?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

anotherjared
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2010, 6:15 am

Hi, first time poster.... as in person that posts, not wall poster. :)

I'm wondering how I compare to the "average" Aspie.

I have trouble with relationships, and socially have my limits until I need to withdraw and go home/rest.
I'm on 4 medications for treatment of bi-polar disorder or bi-polar type symptoms.
I do get consumed by activities.

Now.... the highlights

- I have an elaborate sci-fi based fantasy life (started at about 4 yrs to present 37), it's more of a need than a choice. I can let my fantasy completely encompass me for hours; and if I don't, the fantasy life thoughts inject themselves in to my daily life to the point where I do lose focus when driving sometimes; I lose conversations, even some time during a movie in a theater is lost and I have no idea what happened for the last, 3-4 minutes.

- I find certain sounds entrancing. I focus on them and stay very still, not even blinking. It lasts for only a couple of minutes, and I find the experience extremely enjoyable. I can snap out of it with little effort, it feels like an extreme relaxing comfort and I don't want to snap out of it.

- I'm senstive to sirens, motorcycles, and any bright lights at night (not in total darkness), and lights to the level of house lights to heatlights.

- Music, tv shows, ect. with a repetitive event or pattern, I usually have a moderate need to see it/hear it to the end, even if I don't like it - but I'm getting better with that.

Just wondered how I compare.

Thanks,

Jared

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 6:24 am

anotherjared wrote:
I'm wondering how I compare to the "average" Aspie.

Is there an average aspie?

You might start to suss out the average member of this site, but we're a fraction of the asperger's population and a self-selected sample at that, so we're not generally representative of people with asperger's, just of people at Wrong Planet.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 6:32 am

There ain't no average aspie. I have a big long list of aspie symptoms filed away and about half of them apply to me, other people on this board may have a different set of symptoms and more or less from the list. Try one of the online tests and see how you get on.

Vanilla_Slice

anotherjared
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2010, 9:24 am

Thanks!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:36 am

I don't think that there's an average aspie. We're all different, and that's what makes WP an interesting place to come to. 8)

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 11:26 am

In some ways I am a very mild person with AS, other times I can get very se4vere.... So I think situation is also a factor that determines where you would be on said scale.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:31 pm

well you're def aspie.