Is it just me or did the '00s (the decade) suck?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 3:28 pm

It seems like everything started to suck in the '00s. Music held on to the '90s fads in a crappy way, TV became a joke, the sociopolitical state of the world which was improving so much in the '90s went to hell, people became way ruder and trashier, and everything became centered around technology. The 1960s, '70s and '80s were so cool and even the '90s were actually pretty cool relative to the '00s. I hope the '10s are better.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:24 pm

I don't really care much for the 00s, myself. They were just so bland, and it wasn't a very good decade for London, either. London lost an icon.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 5:07 pm

of course the oughts sucked!

Economically things were horrible.

and the economy is kinda like like "mama" in the old adage, "When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

Sadly the teens... will be worse yet.

This century is starting out a lot like an Aspergerian's life...
Things are rough the first 10 years.
They get WAY rougher in the teens.
Hopefully things get a bit better by their 20's...
and if you're lucky, and still alive, by your 30's things should be okay.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 5:08 pm

I think it's just like the Industrial Revolution, only with technology. Technological Revolution! I personally thought of it well, but I will try to defend my position:

Quote:
1) Music held on to the '90s fads in a crappy way

That is such a broad statement. To "test" it, assuming it is testable as it may be an opinion, you would have to see each genre and compare songs of each decade. This would take far too long, so I can should say this: music in the 90's and the 00's should not be considered different. Most genres of music that started to be popular then are popular now.

Quote:
2) TV became a joke

An opinion, and thus, cannot be argued. My opinion though is that shows in the 00's were far more frequent and far better, such as Prison Break, The Badge, Dexter, Nurse Jackie.

Quote:
3) the sociopolitical state of the world which was improving so much in the '90s went to hell

Why do you think this? Get back to me.

Quote:
4) people became way ruder and trashier

I think you're confusing nostalgia with the past being better.

Quote:
5) everything became centered around technology

Which is human nature, yes?

Please respond back. I am really interested in defending my point.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 5:10 pm

Exclavius wrote:
of course the oughts sucked!

Economically things were horrible.

and the economy is kinda like like "mama" in the old adage, "When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

The economy is expected to take declines. That is how the economy works. It is self-regulating, which means that it will decline if things don't go as planned by the human counterpart, but it wont collapse.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 5:19 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
It seems like everything started to suck in the '00s. Music held on to the '90s fads in a crappy way, TV became a joke, the sociopolitical state of the world which was improving so much in the '90s went to hell, people became way ruder and trashier, and everything became centered around technology. The 1960s, '70s and '80s were so cool and even the '90s were actually pretty cool relative to the '00s. I hope the '10s are better.

There's a selective effect when it comes to art and culture. We look back on earlier decades and see the good bits, because that's what gets remembered, but there's always been utter trash around. The Sixties in particular have been steadily assuming a mythological dimension at odds with reality. ^^

As for the sociopolitical state of the world, the nineties were not good. Not good at all. The foundations of the current crisis in finance were being laid - they're inherent in the capitalist system, after all, any period of apparent prosperity is prelude to a crash - and the prosperity was a myth anyway; the growth of wealthy nations is achieved on the strength of a grossly inequitable world market, meaning in practical terms more and more people subsidising the wealthy elite with their labour. Inequality rose across the world and the collapse of the Soviet Union, while a good thing in some ways, led to great instability. The Padishah Emperor took his chance on Spice-rich Kuwait and lost. Religious f***wits saw their chance all over the place - including the warm-up Muslim attack on the World Trade Center in 1993, which was intended to collapse both towers and do exactly what they later succeeded in doing - and the decade ended with the first (and thankfully low-key) war (Kargil) between nuclear-armed states. Not good. :(

*sigh*

It's true that the iPod hadn't been invented, though. That's a good thing. :?

The year is still young.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:32 pm

It's not just you - 2000's were pretty bland.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:39 pm

Where is the rewind button when we need one? :lol:

The 00's is not only bland, it is messed up in so many ways that basically I would prefer to live in the past than of today.

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2010, 8:00 pm

To paraphrase Comic Book Guy:

Worst. Decade. Ever. (ok, maybe not *the* worst...but it was still bad)

Not only was a bad decade for the world, but it was for me personally as well.

It's appropriate that the decade never had a generally accepted name.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 4:59 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
it wasn't a very good decade for London, either. London lost an icon.

Right. Not only London, but whole Britain. Earlier Britain was thought as boring people, tea and rain. Now if you ask somebody about Britain, they reply hmmmm... drunk, loud, pissing on the streets, idiot teens and pregnant schoolgirls.

I think that 00s suck. Because of pop music, that became worthless plastic umpa-umpa with stripped girls playing sl**s and bit***s.
Because of ill-mannered kids.
Because of replacing interesting things in TV with stupid shows.
Because of stupid serials and soap operas.
Because of people reading tabloids and news about stupid stars instead books.

Don't worry! 10s will be worse! :twisted:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 12:11 pm

Summer of Death 2009 woo!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 1:52 pm

It is generally agreed upon that the '00s was one of the worst decades in history. I particularly hated a lot of the fads of that decade - such as textspeak, internet lingo, sagging pants, guys wearing skinny jeans, and the overly fervent stride to bring back '80s fashion.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 4:41 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

There's a selective effect when it comes to art and culture. We look back on earlier decades and see the good bits, because that's what gets remembered, but there's always been utter trash around. The Sixties in particular have been steadily assuming a mythological dimension at odds with reality. ^^

As for the sociopolitical state of the world, the nineties were not good. Not good at all. The foundations of the current crisis in finance were being laid - they're inherent in the capitalist system, after all, any period of apparent prosperity is prelude to a crash - and the prosperity was a myth anyway; the growth of wealthy nations is achieved on the strength of a grossly inequitable world market, meaning in practical terms more and more people subsidising the wealthy elite with their labour. Inequality rose across the world and the collapse of the Soviet Union, while a good thing in some ways, led to great instability. The Padishah Emperor took his chance on Spice-rich Kuwait and lost. Religious f***wits saw their chance all over the place - including the warm-up Muslim attack on the World Trade Center in 1993, which was intended to collapse both towers and do exactly what they later succeeded in doing - and the decade ended with the first (and thankfully low-key) war (Kargil) between nuclear-armed states. Not good. :(

*sigh*

It's true that the iPod hadn't been invented, though. That's a good thing. :?

Historical perspective and the long view....are you >40 like me? I have had this discussion so many times when a younger person says the (...insert whichever decade just happened...) sucked. I say more or less the same thing you just said (adjusted for whichever current suckage is being implied). You didn't put an age so I am just guessing >40 since this perspective generally comes with age. If it turns out you are <25 I'll really be impressed.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 6:54 pm

All right, a lot of people have bad stuff to say about that decade, so I'm going to say some positive things:

The 00s were a good decade for my favorite actor - he became internationally famous for Pirates of the Caribbean. He also did Sweeney Todd and, of course, my personal favorite: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I thought the music in the 00s was pretty good too. I still enjoyed listening to the radio back then, as opposed to now, when I feel like rolling my eyes at the kind of stuff they play.

Also, the early 00s introduced me to my favorite cartoon, Hamtaro.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 6:57 pm

I'd also rather live in the past, as well. It can be whatever year we want it to be. We have 10 decades of the 20th Century to choose from. 8)

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Right. Not only London, but whole Britain. Earlier Britain was thought as boring people, tea and rain. Now if you ask somebody about Britain, they reply hmmmm... drunk, loud, pissing on the streets, idiot teens and pregnant schoolgirls

Well I think Britains perception of the Polish was you were all hardcore alcoholics who drank pure ethanol spirits and drove horse and carts to work because you were so poor.

Then with your country joining the EU we found you were a highly educated bunch with a good work ethic who got the job done with little complaints and made our unemployed youth look like absolute morons for the rest of the world to see.

I can just imagine polish migrants returning home with a low opinion of britain after working over here. All we do is moan about you guys taking our jobs, stealing swans to eat and being responsible for the rise in knife crime (or is that the Romanians? Well to the uneducated masses your all "eastern europeans")