Whenever I get invited to a wedding, I cancel, anyone else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2006, 3:43 pm

Whenever I get invited to a weeding or other social thing with friends, I cancel at the last minute. I just don't see to point of socializing. The wedding if about the couple gettign married. I'm happy for them, but I don't feel any need to make small talk with people, ect. its a big waste of time. If my friends that invite me get upset, then I feel they don't respect how I feel and are not really my friends. Anyone else feel this way?

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Apr 2006, 3:58 pm

KenM wrote:
Whenever I get invited to a weeding or other social thing with friends, I cancel at the last minute. I just don't see to point of socializing. The wedding if about the couple gettign married. I'm happy for them, but I don't feel any need to make small talk with people, ect. its a big waste of time. If my friends that invite me get upset, then I feel they don't respect how I feel and are not really my friends. Anyone else feel this way?

Haven't you seen wedding crashers? That's how you meat girls!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2006, 4:03 pm

alex wrote:
Haven't you seen wedding crashers? That's how you meat girls!

Freudian slip? ;)

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 3:31 am

I'm not just talking about weddings. Any big soical thing. With my luck with women, I'll just get hurt again. From what I understand in wedding crashers, the 2 guys lied to get into bed. I can't do that. This is a major issue for me and you are laughing at me because of it. Can we get back on subject please?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 4:21 am

I don't know what advice to give you - as I am currently in GalileoAce's room with him while there is a party going on in another part of the house, and now we have to go out there and get food, argh!
As for weddings, I hope to get married in the future but have apprehension about it, I don't want a wedding! I also hope I never get invited to one again either. There is a lot of pointless discussion at events like that. The best thing to do would be to find an interesting person, go with them and talk to them the whole time or just stay in their company (and hope they don't mind you doing that!).

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 5:31 am

I always go to the ceremony. Thats the part you want to share. I sit at the back, and I am the last(ish to leave).

That way, I honor them, and nobody bugs me.

Then I skip the reception after.

voss749
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2006, 9:07 am

These people actually LIKE you enough to invite you to one of their most important events in their life...

If you REALLY dont want to go...respond promptly and say you are unable to attend but buy them a NICE gift card.
People who set up weddings spend money for people who accept the invitation even if they dont show up.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2006, 2:22 pm

I don't seem to mind going to weddings much. :D

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 5:50 pm

voss749 wrote:
These people actually LIKE you enough to invite you to one of their most important events in their life...

If you REALLY dont want to go...respond promptly and say you are unable to attend but buy them a NICE gift card.
People who set up weddings spend money for people who accept the invitation even if they dont show up.

Well to me spending 3-4 hours at a wedding making small talk with people is not my idea of fun. But part of the problem is it sounds good, but I always cancel at the last minute. Not just with weddings, but other big social things. parties, ect. But in this last case , it was small (for a wedding) and everyone at the ceremony was just going to a resturant. They would not know how many would be there until they got there. So no big deal.