Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2010, 10:57 am

Some autistic don't point much. It has to do with the theory of mind. The kid assumes everyone else knows about whatever he's pointing at, so he doesn't bother.

But whoever wrote this is horrible.

ASPowerations
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2010, 3:46 pm

That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read today. And I've done some reading about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict today, so that makes this beyond ridiculous.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 12:49 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I have just done one of the classic searchs of the serious literature on Raymond Tallis, he has published about 170 papers but none of them have the words "autism", "aspergers" or "pointing" in their titles.

Maybe I misformulated the search but so far I have not found anything which this man has written on the subject of AS or pointing. I think that maybe he does not have a point in what he said !

He has published a couple of papers on valproate. I recall reading that prenatal exposure to valproate can do things to the brain of the fetus. But I do not think that it is a great contribution to the world.

It is interesting that LabPet has done some work on okadaic acid which does the opposite to Valproate. She found it did something interesting, I do not know the details of what it does.

He's written a book on pointing but nothing on Autism.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 1:12 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Quote:
Hay 2010: Raymond Tallis offers a few pointers‏
Sent: 06 June 2010 12:40:55
To: [email protected]
Dear Sir or Madam

Re: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/ ... s-pointing

I have recently read this item on your website and wish to lodge a complain and express my disgust at implication in it that autistic children are not human. As the parent of an autistic child I find this disgusting and offensive. I am very surprised that the Guardian would stoop to such a despicable level. Shame on you.

Yours faithfully
xxxxxxMotherKnowsBestxxxxxx

I'm done.

I'm writing my e-mail now. :D I'll also add a link to this discussion.
EDIT: Finished. Oh and my mum read the article and called the guy a cheeky git. :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 12:36 am

Very nice letter. :)

To be honest, Raymond Tallis is a philosopher--not a psychologist or a researcher or anything else with a background in autism. I think he's acting like philosophers do at their worst, pontificating about things he knows nothing about. Also, he might have caught on to the modern media trend of sticking a reference to autism into every possible article.