Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

Right now, I am sticking to a job that I hate, because if I quit, it would be impossible to find anything comparable. We are in for a long spell of high unemployment, but people have not adjusted to it. They are still living in the past.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 4:23 pm

The standard advice is that it's easier to look for a job with a job. Now, personally, I have never been able to follow this standard advice because a bad job wipes me out so much and it specifically tends to drain the type of energy for formal, stranger-to-stranger interaction that I need in job hunting.

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
The standard advice is that it's easier to look for a job with a job. Now, personally, I have never been able to follow this standard advice because a bad job wipes me out so much and it specifically tends to drain the type of energy for formal, stranger-to-stranger interaction that I need in job hunting.

That's very true for me too, though so far I've been able to get a new job before losing the last one (either because I couldn't take it any more, or because they were about to fire me). I don't know if that will happen again with the economy like it is.

There's talk where I'm at now of maybe layoffs. I know it will kill me financially, but I'm close to hoping it will happen, just so I can rest for a time before finding another job.

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 1:15 pm

GumbyLives wrote:
. . . There's talk where I'm at now of maybe layoffs. . .

I remember hearing about Silicon Valley during the glory days that computer people kept their resume updated at all times, and that some of these guys lived out of their suitcases! And as the theory goes, the lightest of light touches. With a job, you can look for another job, and hardly extend yourself at all, don't have a good feeling after an initial phone contact, forget it, that job's not for you (maybe a short email, 'have decided not to pursue at this time . . ' maybe not, the important thing is to not make a big deal out of it either way)---but I have struggled, quite a bit, in trying to follow this seemingly sensible advice.

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm

I'm also being told that the unemployment system is working really hard to disqualify people now, too, so it doesn't have to continue paying out benefits. I just read on one state's faq that turning down a job that requires a 1 hour drive each way -- even though you don't have a car -- means you will be cut off from unemployment. It says it will also cut you off if you turn down part time employment (even if it means you'll earn less than you did on unemployment) and if you turn down a job that requires shifts you can't make (like a graveyard shift that no bus can get you to). Nice. Not.

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:52 am

Yes it's even more of a buyers' market than it's ever been, so employers will be rubbing their hands together in glee at the increase in exploitation opportunities. Lower wages, longer hours, worse conditions. I'm just glad I'm getting near to retirement age so I won't be involved for much longer. I feel very sorry for anybody young who wants to earn an honest living.

Don't get me started on the benefits farce. :evil:

Alex_M
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2010, 3:10 pm

Tell me about it. Even here in Canada it is a nightmare.

I have a master's degree in social work and I still can't find a job. Not even McDonalds. I'm overqualified, and inexperienced for every job I would want. And I'm not eligible for any kind of support, unless I want to go on welfare, which is not an option I'm looking at right now. Still, as it gets harder and harder to live on $360/month after rent, I am finding myself jealous of those who have a health plan and a steady source of income, even if it is through the wefare system.

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 1:32 pm

Alex_M wrote:

I have a master's degree in social work and I still can't find a job. Not even McDonalds. I'm overqualified, and inexperienced for every job I would want. And I'm not eligible for any kind of support, unless I want to go on welfare, which is not an option I'm looking at right now. Still, as it gets harder and harder to live on $360/month after rent, I am finding myself jealous of those who have a health plan and a steady source of income, even if it is through the wefare system.

I'm pretty much overqualified for stuff, and I'm in the same boat as you (master's degree, but in education). I don't even qualify for welfare. It is difficult living on that much after rent, which is pretty much where I'm at. I don't have health insurance, but am thankful for the health clinic for those who qualify because they make so little.

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2010, 12:06 am

JazzofLife wrote:
Alex_M wrote:

I'm pretty much overqualified for stuff, and I'm in the same boat as you (master's degree, but in education). I don't even qualify for welfare. It is difficult living on that much after rent, which is pretty much where I'm at. I don't have health insurance, but am thankful for the health clinic for those who qualify because they make so little.

Jazz, what field of education are you in? I'm in math.

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2010, 3:32 pm

chessimprov wrote:
JazzofLife wrote:
Alex_M wrote:

Jazz, what field of education are you in? I'm in math.

I have a Master of Science in Education degree, specialization in Higher Education Administration (college/university administration).

Jazz

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

Invincible
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm

GumbyLives wrote:
I'm also being told that the unemployment system is working really hard to disqualify people now, too, so it doesn't have to continue paying out benefits. I just read on one state's faq that turning down a job that requires a 1 hour drive each way -- even though you don't have a car -- means you will be cut off from unemployment. It says it will also cut you off if you turn down part time employment (even if it means you'll earn less than you did on unemployment) and if you turn down a job that requires shifts you can't make (like a graveyard shift that no bus can get you to). Nice. Not.

That's basically Pittsburgh in a nutshell.

The buses stop running after a certain time, parking costs too much, and for most, it's an hour or longer ride to get to work.

kriskarnage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm

GumbyLives wrote:

That's why you should not fill out apps if you can't commit to these things.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 3:28 am

900+ Electricians out of work at my Union Hall and, I'm only about half way through the list. It's very frustrating. It seems to be even worse then it was back in the early 80s.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2010, 4:58 am

JazzofLife wrote:

I have a Master of Science in Education degree, specialization in Higher Education Administration (college/university administration).

Jazz

Jazz, do you have a certification in a field of science? With your degrees, you should be able to at least sub per diem pretty easily if you can get yourself to said school during the time school is in session. During the summer, maybe tutoring or at least volunteering for 2 hours a week somewhere?