Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 3:51 pm

I'm beginning to wonder why I even bother with my Facebook page. Hardly anyone ever comments on any of my status updates or pictures. There are a few people who regularly comment, or maybe just like, some of my status updates, but most of my friends just seem to completely ignore me.

I graduated from high schol yesterday, so I posted some pictures of me in my graduation robe onto my Facebook, and shortly thereafter so did many of my other classmates. Only one person liked my graduation album; whereas everyone else has tons of people commenting on their graduation pics. WTF? I take the time to comment on other people's status updates, yet no one wants to take the time to comment on mine, and yet they seem to have all the time in the world to comment on everybody's else's status updates.

I just feel virtually ignored, and that no one on Facebook really give a sh*t about me. I guess since I'm not one of the more popular, well-known people in my class then that's grounds for people completely ignoring me.

Last edited by Descartes on 07 Jun 2010, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

It's the same way for me. And I put down intelligent posts, or posts that are worth something. While other people put down s**tty rhymes and get tons of comments or put down that they're going to sleep and get tons of comments. The only people who comment are my nerdy friends or my aspie friends.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:01 pm

I'm sorry that it causes you pain. It's the same for me, but I accept it. I suppose I've had a lot longer to get used to it.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:07 pm

Do you routinely comment on other people's status and photos? If you don't, you will become literally invisible to them. Your comments on your own Wall and your posted photos will not show on their home page unless you post on theirs. I have noticed that whenever I post on somebody's Wall or comment on their photos, my home page immedeately contains things from the people I posted to. If I do not, my home page stops putting in their stuff. Since Most Facebookers have so many friends that it would be impractical for Facebook to put up everything that every Friend has posted. So it has an algorithm that sorts people by how much they post on each others' pages.

Bottom line: if you don't post on other peoples' pages routinely, Facebook will not put the things you post onto their home page. Start posting more to other peoples' pages and you will likely see more posts to yours. Facebook prods people into interaction with this algorithm.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

ShenLong wrote:
While other people put down s**tty rhymes and get tons of comments or put down that they're going to sleep and get tons of comments.

I know what you're talking about. I never understood that, either. :?

Janissy wrote:
Do you routinely comment on other people's status and photos? If you don't, you will become literally invisible to them. Your comments on your own Wall and your posted photos will not show on their home page unless you post on theirs. I have noticed that whenever I post on somebody's Wall or comment on their photos, my home page immedeately contains things from the people I posted to. If I do not, my home page stops putting in their stuff. Since Most Facebookers have so many friends that it would be impractical for Facebook to put up everything that every Friend has posted. So it has an algorithm that sorts people by how much they post on each others' pages.

Bottom line: if you don't post on other peoples' pages routinely, Facebook will not put the things you post onto their home page. Start posting more to other peoples' pages and you will likely see more posts to yours. Facebook prods people into interaction with this algorithm.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start doing that. :)

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:27 pm

Yeah, I know you become invisible, but even the ones who I comment on don't talk back.

Linear2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2010, 4:36 pm

i've made hundreds of friends playing superpoke pets and spp ranch

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:47 pm

Not any longer, I have now posted a comment on your profile saying my congratulations... I'm guessing I'm the first person to comment. :king: wooo meee! :lol:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 4:51 pm

superboyian wrote:
Not any longer, I have now posted a comment on your profile saying my congratulations... I'm guessing I'm the first person to comment. :king: wooo meee! :lol:

One person liked it, but yes, you're the first person to comment. Thanks, Ian!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:04 pm

Facebook 'friends' aren't real friends. Therefore Facebook can safely be discarded.

Linear2

07 Jun 2010, 6:24 pm

here's my facebook also

http://www.facebook.com/raybee

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:29 pm

I have nearly 200 facebook friends. But I hardly ever speak to any of them. Except for a few real life friends but mostly forum people. I think it's the case with most people with really long friend lists. Some I've added but never spoken to once.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:55 pm

Tequila wrote:
Facebook 'friends' aren't real friends. Therefore Facebook can safely be discarded.

If you die in facebook, do you die in real life?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:57 pm

Moog wrote:
If you die in facebook, do you die in real life?

What, like commit suicide?

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:58 pm

I liked it.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 7:05 pm

Tequila wrote:

This depends on who you allow to be your Facebook friend.

Mine are all real. I only have 23 and 2 are my best mates, 3 are my teenage sons (so that I can keep an eye on things. If I have something to say to them I can do it face to face), the other 18 are family who live away from my home town and overseas. It keeps us in touch.

Security of my profile is set so that only my "friends" can see anything I post so friends of friends aren't welcome to any of my business, they can't even see any of my comments...and I'm definitely keeping it that way.

I don't have a problem ignoring friend requests and have added people only to, shortly after, delete them due to lack of interaction.

I sympathise with you, Descartes, and CONGRATULATE you sincerely on your graduation 8)

My advice: Get in there and start culling out insincere Facebook "friends"...delete, delete, delete... :P