Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm

Could anyone tell me what the general symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia?
I think my little sister has it, but i'm not sure.
& some somewhat serious issues have come up lately concerning her making distressing accusations which i highly doubt are true, but could have legal ramifications and potentially ruin people's lives.
She's about 9 & just started her period, if that's in any way relevant.

Last edited by Seanmw on 09 Jun 2010, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:09 am

That sounds like a situation that really requires some good professional advice. This is way over the heads of a bunch of internet commandos like us.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2010, 12:09 am

None of that sounds like aspergers to me, and I think the onset of schizophrenia is usually a little later... like 25.

Maybe she has OCD or some kind of anxiety disorder?

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:12 am

The final criterion for a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome is:

Quote:
Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

It's a logical impossibility for her to have both. Plus, she doesn't sound psychotic. (To a layman who's never met her, that is.)

NOT A DOCTOR

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:18 am

ghostpawn wrote:
None of that sounds like aspergers to me, and I think the onset of schizophrenia is usually a little later... like 25.

Maybe she has OCD or some kind of anxiety disorder?
actually i read that schizophrenia can develop much earlier, but that it's just rarer that it does.

& i haven't even begun to describe her AS-like traits.
i'm not trying to give a full description, because honestly i'm horrible at describing any kind of big picture or explaining these types of things.

i was more like asking what kind of things are typical in people who have both.
because i'm assuming some people here might have both and might be able to tell from personal experience. Or possibly even there's just someone here who knows someone like that, and might know anything useful. general symptoms, what to look for, etc.
anything really

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:22 am

No one here has both. No one anywhere has both. The diagnostic criteria specifically exclude anyone from a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome if the criteria are met for Schizophrenia.

The reason is that the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome are largely present in Schizophrenia anyway. Why don't you ask this question on a site for people with Schizophrenia?

NOT A DOCTOR

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:23 am

She's 9. Get her a school screening, it's free. And get the schizophrenia ideas out of your head, that is very unlikely.

EDIT: Also going to add she's probably just attention-seeking.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:27 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:

Quote:
Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

It's a logical impossibility for her to have both. Plus, she doesn't sound psychotic. (To a layman who's never met her, that is.)
hmmm, possibly just schizophrenia then? do they have overlapping symptoms?

& she doesn't sound like anything because i haven't really given any kind of description for starters. really just mentioned one thing of many so far that's cropped up.
here's some more:
she's reported hearing and seeing things that aren't there.
she's always been moody, extremely sensitive. Usually really quiet, but prone to outbursts. Seems kind of violent at times. Has virtually no friends. Quirky, odd behavior. Obsessive interests (rocks & mineral types, gum, etc.).

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:31 am

No one here has both. No one anywhere has both. The diagnostic criteria specifically exclude anyone from a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome if the criteria are met for Schizophrenia.

The reason is that the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome are largely present in Schizophrenia anyway. Why don't you ask this question on a site for people with Schizophrenia?
okay, my mistake.
so then i guess what i'm looking for is information about schizophrenia then.

i just edited my original post to reflect that.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:38 am

Quote:

It's a logical impossibility by definition of Asperger's in the DSM-IV, however there is no scientific basis for it, as little, if anything is known about the neurological manifestations of AS, and little is known about the neurological manifestations of schizophrenia.

There is no scientific reason why they must be exclusive.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:39 am

Seanmw wrote:

Quote:

& she doesn't sound like anything because i haven't really given any kind of description for starters. really just mentioned one thing of many so far that's cropped up.
here's some more:
she's always been moody, extremely sensitive. Usually really quiet, but prone to outbursts. Seems kind of violent at times. Has virtually no friends. Quirky, odd behavior. Obsessive interests (rocks & mineral types, gum, etc.).

That sounds more like bipolar disorder with psychotic features, which can occur alongside AS. Once again, you really need professional advice on this.

-Sigmund Freud

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:46 am

I have to accept what Chronos says.

Obsessive interests sound Aspie; violence could be indicative of high testosterone, very common in people on the spectrum. (Incidentally, that would also cause something called "precocious puberty," which means maturing a little early. Nine is on the young side to start menstruating.) Anxiety is also oddly common, which could explain the delusions of persecution.

And remember, this is a nine-year-old, so she's not very mature yet. And if she's already having the hormonal changes of puberty with the cognitive maturity of a nine-year-old, of course she's going to be on a roller-coaster. It'll smooth out in a few years.

NOT A DOCTOR

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:57 am

John_Browning wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

Quote:

here's some more:

That sounds more like bipolar disorder with psychotic features, which can occur alongside AS. Once again, you really need professional advice on this.
bipolar can have psychotic features like auditory & visual hallucinations??

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:59 am

I have to accept what Chronos says.

Obsessive interests sound Aspie; violence could be indicative of high testosterone, very common in people on the spectrum. (Incidentally, that would also cause something called "precocious puberty," which means maturing a little early. Nine is on the young side to start menstruating.) Anxiety is also oddly common, which could explain the delusions of persecution.

And remember, this is a nine-year-old, so she's not very mature yet. And if she's already having the hormonal changes of puberty with the cognitive maturity of a nine-year-old, of course she's going to be on a roller-coaster. It'll smooth out in a few years.
hmmm, that makes sense.
Thanks.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 1:18 am

Seanmw wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

Quote:

here's some more:

Absolutely- especially during episodes.

-Sigmund Freud

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 1:40 am

John_Browning wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

Quote:

here's some more:

Absolutely- especially during episodes.
Ahhh, i see.
Thanks, this has been very insightful :)