Police: Autism was motive in Colo. child's killing

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:06 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
She diagnosed a six-month-old? That sounds suspect. Seriously, what issues did she see? At that age, being completely nonverbal is no cause for concern; at that age, fixations/special interests will not be apparent...

Is no one going to point that out?

My thoughts exactly.

It takes years to really see Autistic symptoms in children.

Someone was a bit too paranoid I take it.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:56 pm

She diagnosed a six-month-old? That sounds suspect. Seriously, what issues did she see? At that age, being completely nonverbal is no cause for concern; at that age, fixations/special interests will not be apparent...

Exactly! It takes a long time for any signs of autism to become noticeable. Unfortunately, that's the message from Autism Speaks, that a child on the spectrum is a burden, and if there were a prenatal test for autism, they would be in favor of abortion.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:04 am

Now that Ive thought about it I think she is using the Autism thing as an excuse to make people feel sorry for her. Either way, it makes it obvious what views the public has on Autism.
My brother lost his first son to a very serious heart defect....he would have been happy to have an Autistic son!

Being a mother its just hard for me to fathom harming a child....and your own child? How is it possible?? It just upsets me so much that I obsess about it. Like the mother who drown her five kids because she was afraid they were going to Hell.

I found a site that listed people who killed their Autistic children, including adult children. What was even more unsettling was that some of them received such light sentences in comparison to the people who abused and killed their "typical" children. Some even saying that the judge took pity on them because they had special needs children....as if that is an excuse to murder them. One of them had some men come and beat her adult child to death and another actually set her child on fire....can you imagine?

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 7:35 pm

liloleme wrote:
I found a site that listed people who killed their Autistic children, including adult children. What was even more unsettling was that some of them received such light sentences in comparison to the people who abused and killed their "typical" children. Some even saying that the judge took pity on them because they had special needs children....as if that is an excuse to murder them. One of them had some men come and beat her adult child to death and another actually set her child on fire....can you imagine?

No, I can't imagine. That's simply horrifying. What good is this neurotypical version of empathy if it doesn't stop people from killing babies, anyway?

pinkdoughnut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2010, 8:21 pm

cyberscan wrote:
This is one reason why I do not trust most professionals who deal with autistic people - especially mental health professionals. I believe that most of them either do not like us or feel superior towards us.

Yeah. One of my occupational therapists molested me and then told me it was socially acceptable and part of my therapy (I..think?). A lot of my therapy involved touch, so it was very confusing. To this day I don't really understand what happened, but it sure felt sexual. And it wouldn't be that surprising.

Cuterebra wrote:
No, I can't imagine. That's simply horrifying. What good is this neurotypical version of empathy if it doesn't stop people from killing babies, anyway?

Sometimes it seems like neurotypicals don't have empathy, that they have manners instead :( I know enough about the brain to know that neurotypicals are capable of empathy, but they certainly aren't very good at showing it outwardly.

Again, she's neurotypical. She could have lied to the police and told them a story that she thought would make her sympathetic, chose it because she knows how prejudiced people are against ASD. Maybe she just wanted to kill her baby, perhaps for the reasons most neurotypical women smother their babies. Perhaps she was sexually unfaithful, or her husband was, or perhaps she was simply becoming overwhelmed by motherhood. You can't really believe everything people say, especially when they're facing the death penalty.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2010, 8:02 am

They should throw that lady in the back or a functioning Nazi Gas Van and drive it at high speed so the back area becomes deadlier, as she's life unworthy of life.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 11:14 pm

Accident my ass. She put three baby blankets on her then at 2:30AM she piles on more to finish the job. She wanted to finish what she started.

Mumofsweetautiegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2010, 12:17 am

Man, I cuddled my autistic daughter so much after reading this atrocious story.

How do you diagnose autism in a 6 month old when most syptoms don't become apparent until 12-18 months of age or even later? It took my daughter until she was FIVE to be diagnosed. That's five years old, not five months old.

Wouldn't one think that this woman would want to CONFIRM that her child had autism before making such a drastic and horrific decision? And of course, even if she could have had it confirmed, there's no way in hell that it was acceptable for her to take this boy's life. Sounds to me like she never wanted to be a mother in the first place and used the autism as an excuse. I guess this wretched oxygen thief will be having all the fun in the world now --inside a jail cell hopefully, or a gas chamber.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2010, 3:32 pm

The optimist in me would like to think that whatever is wrong with the woman that would cause her to feel such an urge and then follow through with it would have resulted in the child's death even if she had never heard of autism and suspected her child had it. But there's no way to know just how much a part her misconceptions about autism played.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 4:48 pm

She should hang for what she did. There is no shortage of adoption agencies out there if she can't take care of the kid.