Page 2 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

I don't think music starts to suck, but our relationship to the changes in music become more estranged, more difficult to relate to. Music, with a capital M, is enormously broad and varied. When it comes to Art and Music, you get what you bring to it. The object itself has no merit except what we perceive. That's why person A can love something that provides an experience (broadly speaking that is ANYTHING), and person B will think its garbage. When person B says Philip Glass is repetitive and boring, that's molding the world from their point of view. I know they are not right. The music is not garbage. They just cannot relate to it, because in this particular example, I find Philip Glass's music at times transcendent. So I try never to say "that painting is awful" or "that movie is crap" or "that music is garbage." I genuinely say I cannot find anything in it. That's not the "things" fault, it's mine.

But if I had to answer the question, I'd say the '60s. Everything after the '60s is crap, except for all the other stuff that I like. :wink:

I just read blackpaladin's post below the edit window, and I agree. I also would add sex, drugs, blah blah... describes the 60s too. Sex, it true of some music from the '20s too. I bet if we did some historical digging, we could find some music from Mozart's time and beyond that were considered a bit "Ooo La La" in nature. There was popular music back then as well.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

I believe music started to suck in the 90s, but I was too young to notice. Some of the stuff I remember listening to back then *shudders*.

My favourite musical decade is the 70s.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 10:01 pm

I've never been much of a fan of most mainstream music...

There is a lot of good music, but it would seem most of it is not really mainstream.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 10:37 am

Here is a video about the topic:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

why do people care about modern pop music when there is so much better stuff out there .

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2017, 11:22 pm

Why is this being posted in the film/TV thread?

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm

2013. That's when everything became way too electronic.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2017, 10:55 pm

What *didn't* suck were the Beatles, Queen, Bobby Darin, Beethoven, Mozart.

But did we all think the music of our teen years was fabulous, and get all turned on when we hear it again?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 1:06 am

1979 was the year when all the geniuses of the 1970's lost their creative flair and started to produce very market oriented music.

there have been many gems since by other musicians, but the bulk of modern music to me sounds uninspiring to me.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2017, 4:48 pm

I think it kind of double dipped. It got bad in the early 90s with cheesy rap music. Then got better as the 90s went on. Then got bad again in the 2000s with more cheesy rap music.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 1:20 pm

It's all been downhill since 1750. Oh, Johann Sebastian, we miss you...

More seriously, I've always been puzzled by how a song (or a dance move, or a celebrity) is the Best Thing Evar one year, and like soooo lame and embarassing five years later. Was it actually good then? is it actually bad now? If our opinion on it HASN'T changed, are we admirably resistant to groupthink or just stupidly nostalgic? If it HAS changed, are we more discerning now or are we just fickle?

I think it is hard to have much patience for the lowest-common-denominator pop of a younger generation. At their age, many of us were just fine with the equivalent music marketed for our own tastes. Either our tastes have broadened since, or else we prefer our own generation's "manfactured pap" thankyou very much.

That said, the hit-factory side of the industry has been getting steadily more dominant since The Monkees back in the 60s. If not before. Probably best to regard it as a circus freakshow that's irrelevant to the greater body of current music. I didn't like most of the music they played on the radio when I was young, but it turns out there was plenty of good music going on, both underground and in the lower reaches of the charts.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 8:57 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
why do people care about modern pop music when there is so much better stuff out there .

Who Knows?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 9:09 pm

When MTV started playing terrible shows more than music videos.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 10:00 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
When MTV started playing terrible shows more than music videos.

Ok but why watch mtv in the first place, they have never played the best music.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 10:55 pm

From what I remember, MTV did used to have a fairly random rotation of songs/videos and some interesting bands would come on; especially on their side channel MTV2.

Anyway, I won't say MTV is solely to blame, but that seemed to be as a good enough a marker as any for the shift in music gradually starting.

I think a second phase of this trend was the arrival of American Idol.

Otherwise, I do think good music has been produced this whole time and it's out there for those looking for it; fortunately we now have the Internet. It's just that fairly banal music gets heavily promoted in major media events.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 1:36 am

K_Kelly wrote:
But if anything, I think that digital downloads have disrupted the traditional formats for listening to music. Being able to expose the critical masses to good-quality music or TV shows was a lot easier with the traditional forms of music distribution.

I also believe that digital downloads, it might have disrupted the likelihood of any success and recognition from bands and artists on a more local scale.

thewrll wrote:
It started to suck when people aren't actively looking for music.

This and this. Especially today more than ever, music is completely disposable. People don't want to buy CDs anymore, they don't even want to buy MP3s, they just want to stream the latest hit songs, or whatever "classic hits" Pandora spoonfeeds them. There's a lot less money for artists and record producers to make, so they're more content with taking the path of least resistance and rehashing the same-old, same-old every year.

Even the real music fans are disappearing. Concerts are still doing okay it seems, but local shows, you'll be lucky if it's more than just the bands who are playing and their girlfriends. I remember in highschool (2002ish) the local punk shows used to be pretty packed. Nowadays, a good turnout is pretty rare.

KagamineLen wrote:
The reason why the music scene seems to suck so horribly today is because people tend to remember the bands that are worth remembering, and they tend to forget the bands that are worth forgetting.

I was going to say something along the same lines. I listen to WGVU's Oldies station on the AM a lot, and for as many great songs as they play, there's still plenty of stinkers that I would rather forget. Even some bands I really love had a song or two that I just can't stand.