Page 3 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 1:36 am

K_Kelly wrote:
But if anything, I think that digital downloads have disrupted the traditional formats for listening to music. Being able to expose the critical masses to good-quality music or TV shows was a lot easier with the traditional forms of music distribution.

I also believe that digital downloads, it might have disrupted the likelihood of any success and recognition from bands and artists on a more local scale.

thewrll wrote:
It started to suck when people aren't actively looking for music.

This and this. Especially today more than ever, music is completely disposable. People don't want to buy CDs anymore, they don't even want to buy MP3s, they just want to stream the latest hit songs, or whatever "classic hits" Pandora spoonfeeds them. There's a lot less money for artists and record producers to make, so they're more content with taking the path of least resistance and rehashing the same-old, same-old every year.

Even the real music fans are disappearing. Concerts are still doing okay it seems, but local shows, you'll be lucky if it's more than just the bands who are playing and their girlfriends. I remember in highschool (2002ish) the local punk shows used to be pretty packed. Nowadays, a good turnout is pretty rare.

KagamineLen wrote:
The reason why the music scene seems to suck so horribly today is because people tend to remember the bands that are worth remembering, and they tend to forget the bands that are worth forgetting.

I was going to say something along the same lines. I listen to WGVU's Oldies station on the AM a lot, and for as many great songs as they play, there's still plenty of stinkers that I would rather forget. Even some bands I really love had a song or two that I just can't stand.

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 1:04 am

I'd say around 1991, when grunge came on the scene.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 4:01 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I think mainstream music began to suck around 2002 and indie music started to get worse around 2007. Today's music is definitely not as good as 60s, 70s, 80s or even 90s music, even the kids realize that for the most part. I guess that's just my opinion though.

Mainstream music has sucked for a while...I prefer to direct my searching elsewhere. There is certainly some good music out there, it just doesn't come on the radio.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 4:09 am

it always did, radio was always on in the sixties, there was for ex. a childstar always on singing about how he loved his mother, or his grandmother, or his father or his grandfather
as a child it was unpleasant to hear that sentimental hypocrisy

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 4:18 am

traven wrote:
it always did, radio was always on in the sixties, there was for ex. a childstar always on singing about how he loved his mother, or his grandmother, or his father or his grandfather
as a child it was unpleasant to hear that sentimental hypocrisy

and turns out a lot of said child stars didn't turn out so well.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2018, 8:08 am

90% of everything is crap.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 11:22 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Music started to suck in the 2000's. It lost all that soul and rhythm from the previous decades...

This is also why I don't really listen to the radio, unless KONO 101.1 is on. (It is a radio station that is located in Helotes, Texas, and plays oldies music.)

And whenever I am not listening to the radio, I just look hard for some 1970's, 80's, and 90's music on YouTube that match my taste, both popular and less-known tracks.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 1:06 am

Again music that is amazing is being released every day, you just have to actually work at finding it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 8:59 am

MidnightMoon wrote:
I'd say around 1991, when grunge came on the scene.

Ouch :cry:

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2018, 3:08 am

Around 2005 when electro pop and dirty south rap started blowing up.

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2018, 4:09 pm

There was good music then, and there is still good music now. I can always spot a fake music fan, as they'll say some BS like "music these days isn't as good!"

No, actually, its the fact that over time, the terrible music of the past has been lost to time, and now only the best of the best survives. In 25 years, all the bad music of today will be gone, and only the good stuff will still be listened to. This much should be obvious.

Music is also not bad because it talks about vices and other "bad stuff", nor did music suddenly become "oversexualised".

For instance, three songs I'm listening to right now:
"Stranger Things" by Kygo and One Republic. Released 2018. Is a beautiful, sweeping song about two young people in love. Very evidently based off of the TV show and the relationship that develops on there (won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it). It is a gorgeous song, and I want it played at my wedding, lol.

"Fu-Gee-La" by The Fugees, released in 1996. A rap song that talks about the band members personal struggles as well as what they value.

"Happiness Is A Warm Gun" by the Beatles, released in 1968. I don't need to tell you what this song is about - the title says it all!

So, yeah, I don't really get it when people say music is oversexualised "these days" when The Beatles were using a thinly veiled euphemism for their penises and singing about "getting their finger on a girl's 'trigger'" fifty years ago. And its a great song, don't get me wrong, but people have ALWAYS sung about sex.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2018, 9:35 am

When I was in high school, the bus driver would always play stupid top 40 music by people like Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, etc. And for some reason, she would always turn it off when "I'm Sexy and I Know It" came on, even though that song was in PG-rated kids cartoons like Madagascar 3 and Hotel Transylvania!

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2018, 9:36 am

that's when I think music started to suck, was when I was first exposed to Top 40 music back then.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:17 pm

The LINK 'Historically When Did Music Start to Go Downhill?' does a good job of discussing why junk has spiked since the late 1970s - early 1980s.

I sense that much of the "hard rock music" (of at least okay quality) before the late 1970s seemed to have an "enjoyable pattern of sorts." For a time, 'The Beatles' boosted the "bar of quality music!"

LINK: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 309AAWF4WM

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 May 2018, 5:56 am

Rock started to get lame after the 90s cuz grunge, punk, & ska started fading away. Pop started getting lame after the 90s too cuz they got away from boy bands & girl groups & pop also started crossing over into country & rap more.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2018, 6:59 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
But if anything, I think that digital downloads have disrupted the traditional formats for listening to music. Being able to expose the critical masses to good-quality music or TV shows was a lot easier with the traditional forms of music distribution.

I also believe that digital downloads, it might have disrupted the likelihood of any success and recognition from bands and artists on a more local scale.

thewrll wrote:
It started to suck when people aren't actively looking for music.

This and this. Especially today more than ever, music is completely disposable. People don't want to buy CDs anymore, they don't even want to buy MP3s, they just want to stream the latest hit songs, or whatever "classic hits" Pandora spoonfeeds them. There's a lot less money for artists and record producers to make, so they're more content with taking the path of least resistance and rehashing the same-old, same-old every year.

Even the real music fans are disappearing. Concerts are still doing okay it seems, but local shows, you'll be lucky if it's more than just the bands who are playing and their girlfriends. I remember in highschool (2002ish) the local punk shows used to be pretty packed. Nowadays, a good turnout is pretty rare.

KagamineLen wrote:
The reason why the music scene seems to suck so horribly today is because people tend to remember the bands that are worth remembering, and they tend to forget the bands that are worth forgetting.

I was going to say something along the same lines. I listen to WGVU's Oldies station on the AM a lot, and for as many great songs as they play, there's still plenty of stinkers that I would rather forget. Even some bands I really love had a song or two that I just can't stand.

Most mainstream artist hardly release full albums these days, they just dump out single after single and then decide to make it an album. It ruins the meaning of albums to me since an album is like a story that each song tells a part of.