Page 1 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 5:05 am

I think mainstream music began to suck around 2002 and indie music started to get worse around 2007. Today's music is definitely not as good as 60s, 70s, 80s or even 90s music, even the kids realize that for the most part. I guess that's just my opinion though.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2010, 5:27 am

I think mainstream music has always been terrible.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2010, 5:29 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I think mainstream music began to suck around 2002 and indie music started to get worse around 2007. Today's music is definitely not as good as 60s, 70s, 80s or even 90s music, even the kids realize that for the most part. I guess that's just my opinion though.

I don't think a lot has changed from the 50's onward as far as percentage of good, quality music out there and fluff, mainstream music. The difference between the two is one of pure entertainment value with not much meaning or depth, a good beat and a bit of shallowness to it as for mainstream music. Some of it can be ok, but most of it's fluff and it's always been that way.

The difference, in my opinion, is that since the 80's mainstream music has gotten trashier and more vapid, in my opinion.

Still, there is always quality, great music to be found in any of the era's you mentioned and in different genres. There are a lot of great indie bands out there and always have been. You just have to look for them and be open to searching for good music. Those who only go by what's popular or only listen to what everyone elses suggests are not going to find a variety of good music.

I'm actually a bit jealous that I didn't have the opportunity of the internet and the ease of finding so much music that's not just pop radio play, when I was younger. I'm making use of that opportunity now and there are a lot of good musical artists out there.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:08 am

I think that music started to change, in the Mid 80s. I'm not just saying that, because of what happened to my favourite group in 1984, either. I think that a lot of computerized stuff was first added to music, around 85/86, and the lyrics started to become more trashy and music started becoming more fluffed and feminized.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:24 am

I think the 90s were the turning point. Looking at my music library (which is rather select, compared to most), I find songs from the 50 and on, but I find no mainstream songs from the 2000s and but a few from the 90s. I do have several video game theme tunes from these years, but those don't really count as they evolve separately from mainstream music.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:45 am

A long time ago music executives used to apply something called the 'Old Grey Whistle Test'. A band would be asked to play their latest single in front of an old guy who had been pulled off the street at random and they played the music three times. If after this the old guy could whistle the tune then it would be judged a hit and the record would be released.

Try this with a tune from Phil Collins, or the Bee Gees, or Status Quo

Now try the same with some output from G-Unit, Tupac or Lady Gaga

I rest my case.

Vanilla_Slice

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:48 am

Certainly as early as this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjjgrVojBHA[/youtube]

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:00 am

When Johnny Ramone died!

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2010, 8:01 am

okay this thread made me go back through the decades starting with the 60's when I was born. I've heard the 50's music, obviously too. Mainstream wise it wasn't too bad, It was either white bread doo wap or some decent R&B. The 60's mainstream was all about laying loose, beach parites and getting high. Not horrible either. The 70's mainstream, in my opinion stunk to high heaven. Pure schmaltz. A lot of great power rock bands came out of the 70s but I don't consider them mainstream.

The 80's kind of were a he-hash in style of the 50s with some social commentary thrown in and some cool pop innovations. But, there was also some s**t too.

The 90's were pretty decent for mainstream because it was the anti-mainstream decade.

I've narrowed down the downfall of pop music to this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4[/youtube]

Britney Spears 1999

.....and it all went downhill from there

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 9:09 am

I think it started to suck in the early 2000's. I don't like music these days.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 11:26 am

1996 onward.

Zorander
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2010, 12:09 pm

The day that John Bonham died.

Wizard's First Rule, written by Terry Goodkind: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 1:35 pm

It never did. Music is still awesome.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 2:11 pm

Music started to suck since it's conception. There have always been terrible songs, though what one might find awefull another might find enjoyable.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 3:00 pm

I stopped listening to Top 40 music almost immediately after I discovered alternative rock (and then later indie rock). That was around 2001. While I am definitely aware of pop artists, i've really gone out of my way to avoid them.

Indie music didn't start sucking around 2007. There hasn't been a decline in quality that i've seen, but hey, to each his own.

Skyjester
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2010, 3:22 pm

1999 was a great year for music. And while I still listen to the occasional current hit, there is little to keep me listening these days.

I mostly listen to classic rock, i.e. 70's. But music pretty much died in 2000.

And oh yeah, this is in the wrong forum. Might want to move it to where it belongs. ;)