Dominant thought patterns and Aspergers

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lukemc1980
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2010, 7:12 am

Hello again,

I notice that my mind seems to keep thinking on the same topic over and over again and sometimes it can be difficult to concentrate on other things I want or need to do because my mind can get so cluttered and is constantly thinking about a particular thing all the time, for example I might want to concentrate on doing a job or talking to someone but maintining concentration for long periods of time can be difficult due to the domineering thoughts and my mind can tend to "drift off" what I am concentrating on - does anyone else on the spectrum find that they have the same problem and is this common among those with Asperger minds?

Also another thing that I wanted to bring up is that sometimes I get the urge to throw objects in the air and catch them especially when I am thinking about a chosen topic or when I am bored - even though I seem to be OK most of the time I have occasionaly thrown up more valuable objects other than the usual ones like pens and I have ended up breaking them although that does not happen to often - is that another Aspie/autistic trait?

I also tend to get board very easily if my mind is not stimulated with intrests - another AS trait?

It will be interesting to hear your thought!

Luke

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:30 am

On the first paragraph, YES. My mind is endlessly caught in a loop over something, and it just keeps going around and around and around in my head.

I wouldn't say that i get urges to throw things up in the air... It's not something i feel like i just have to do.. But i have been known do it when i'm bored and holding something that i'm not too afraid of breaking. I sometimes play catch with myself with our dogs' toys, and i have done it before with the keys to the video game cases at work.

I do feel bored if i don't have anything to think about or do, but my mind usually finds something to glue itself onto.

The first one is definitely an autistic trait, but i'm not sure about the second two.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 9:31 am

I tend to obsessively ponder over certain subjects as well. To address your second question, I often like to walk around, or fiddle with certain objects whilst pondering over subjects. Sometimes I'll be holding a pen or something and flip it in the air.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 9:42 am

I obsess over my interests to the point where if someone's talking with me, they say I seem distracted. In a way I am, because if we're not talking about my interest, then I'm still thinking about it.

I don't toss things in the air, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be a type of stimming. When I'm concentrating on something or am anxious, I stim a lot.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2010, 9:47 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
I do feel bored if i don't have anything to think about or do, but my mind usually finds something to glue itself onto.

My mind feels empty when I have nothing to think about or do, but it always finds something to latch onto and obsess about.

Sometimes I have something stuck in my head and I will think about it over and over again and I can't get it out. It doesn't have to be a particular issue, it can also be a thought pattern within thinking about an issue. I can't seem to break free of it and it is quite annoying.

Apart from that, I'm always fiddeling with something in my hands, it helps me concentrate. I go out and buy particular stuff for that, so I don't break things I don't want to break.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 9:54 am

lukemc1980 wrote:
Hello again,

I notice that my mind seems to keep thinking on the same topic over and over again and sometimes it can be difficult to concentrate on other things I want or need to do because my mind can get so cluttered and is constantly thinking about a particular thing all the time, for example I might want to concentrate on doing a job or talking to someone but maintining concentration for long periods of time can be difficult due to the domineering thoughts and my mind can tend to "drift off" what I am concentrating on - does anyone else on the spectrum find that they have the same problem and is this common among those with Asperger minds?

Also another thing that I wanted to bring up is that sometimes I get the urge to throw objects in the air and catch them especially when I am thinking about a chosen topic or when I am bored - even though I seem to be OK most of the time I have occasionaly thrown up more valuable objects other than the usual ones like pens and I have ended up breaking them although that does not happen to often - is that another Aspie/autistic trait?

I also tend to get board very easily if my mind is not stimulated with intrests - another AS trait?

Luke

I think the same thoughts and say the same words on a nearly constant basis. I say the same things without even realizing it, word for word. Repeating. But, not all the time.

It can be difficult getting interested in something, but when I am finally hooked, I dive completely in and find out as much as I can about it, aquiring mountain sized knowledge, but the interest can fade. It's been like that with certain movies and television shows, plus subjects like certain historical eras and Astrology.

Another strange thing has to do with time. I can wake up at the exact same time nightly, without an alarm clock. It's usually five thirty, but lately it's been four a m. I can also leave to drive somewhere in my car, someplace I have to be right on time for, and get there right at the exact time I am supposed to be there, not early, not late. What are the odds of anyone being able to consistantly do that?

I keep hoping this same skill will help me find the numbers so I can win the lottery.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 11:44 am

lukemc1980 wrote:
Hello again,

Luke

Some NTs get bored too.

ruveyn

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm

lukemc1980 wrote:
Hello again,

Yea. I'm the same way.

Quote:

I don't throw things but I do other kinds of fiddling. I always like to have something to do with my hands.

Quote:

I struggle with boredom all the time. It's not that I don't have things to do. The usual issue is the things I NEED to do aren't the things I WANT to do. Often THINGS I NEED TO DO = TEDIOUS. Then even when I do have spare time I have trouble getting into things that might stimulate me or bring me pleasure. It's like no matter what I'm doing in the moment I eventually feel jaded and want to be doing something better - problem is I don't know what. I have horrible depression though and that contributes to feeling bored all the time. Or maybe feeling bored and dissatisfied with my life all the time causes the depression.

Quote:

Luke

Thanks.

MaryReen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jun 2010, 1:02 pm

I get so obsessive over things that for many years I was thought to have OCD. For example, I am an adrenaline junky and an outdoorsy person. I am constantly thinking about mountains and hikes and climbs I'm going to do and routes I'm working on and camping trips. I replay climbs I've completed in my head when I'm supposed to be doing something else, like listening to lectures, driving my car, taking a shower, etc. It's only bad when I'm talking to someone and somehow my recent obsessions spring into the convo and I end up talking them to death (if they AREN'T interested).

Anyway, about the throwing thing... I don't throw stuff, but I definitely chew. I can't drink out of a plastic cup or bottle, or drink from a straw because I'll end up chewing it... even in public. I don't know about you, but I do it without thinking. I especially hate it when I catch myself chewing on my glasses (when I wear them) at important dinners or during an important conversation. :P

psychointegrator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2010, 1:32 pm

lukemc1980,

The dominating and hyper narrow-focus on an interest or thought is something you see quite a bit with AS. I lack the energy to go into detail on this currently, however, based on what I have experienced it can seriously cause havoc. And yes, of course, it can be of use in some situations.

I have something to recommend for you as a test if possible--
When you are thinking things over and over don't fight it.
Find a spot to sit down (I suppose you could stand...) and begin writing everything you are thinking.
Keeping on writing even if it doesn't all make sense or if they are incomplete thoughts. Drawing images if that is what is streaming from the mind and keep the data flowing from mind on to the paper.

See what happens.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 4:31 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I think the same thoughts and say the same words on a nearly constant basis. I say the same things without even realizing it, word for word. Repeating. But, not all the time.

I find myself having the exact same conversations with different people(and sometimes the same people, lol), not quite word for word but pretty close. I try to change it for each person, because i know certain people have heard me talk about a certain thing a lot, but, yeah. I also tend to use the same words to describe a particular thing over and over again. It's sort of like when you see a stand-up comedian doing a bunch of talk-shows to promote their latest special. They usually tell the same stories, nearly word-for-word, that come straight out of their stand-up special, to all the different talk-show hosts. Of course, if you're watching them on more than one talk-show, you end up noticing that each conversation isn't original. But i'm like that with pretty much everything.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 5:09 pm

I often get caught into a loop, thinking about some sticky situation that I might be in, and I can't think of anything. It could happen for just a few hours, or I could be stuck for a few days.

rooooby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2017, 3:37 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Another strange thing has to do with time. I can wake up at the exact same time nightly, without an alarm clock. It's usually five thirty, but lately it's been four a m. I can also leave to drive somewhere in my car, someplace I have to be right on time for, and get there right at the exact time I am supposed to be there, not early, not late. What are the odds of anyone being able to consistantly do that?

I keep hoping this same skill will help me find the numbers so I can win the lottery.

WOW WOW WOW WOW! I have this thing too. I arrive bang on time, on the minute, consistently.

Another thing I do is plan my routes through traffic on roads I know well. I know the spots for the most efficient lane changes so that I can get ahead strategically without weaving. E.g. I know that 80% of the people in a particular lane will start to filter off to the left, giving me a clear way ahead. It's funny having lane-weavers pass me, when I know that my strategic lane changes will eventually put me way ahead of them without me needing to change my speed at all ...

Last edited by rooooby on 27 May 2017, 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

rooooby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2017, 3:39 am

psychointegrator wrote:
lukemc1980,

The dominating and hyper narrow-focus on an interest or thought is something you see quite a bit with AS. I lack the energy to go into detail on this currently, however, based on what I have experienced it can seriously cause havoc. And yes, of course, it can be of use in some situations.

I have something to recommend for you as a test if possible--
When you are thinking things over and over don't fight it.
Find a spot to sit down (I suppose you could stand...) and begin writing everything you are thinking.
Keeping on writing even if it doesn't all make sense or if they are incomplete thoughts. Drawing images if that is what is streaming from the mind and keep the data flowing from mind on to the paper.

See what happens.

I do this -- I write down all my thinking, and it cuts the thinking loops.

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jun 2017, 8:37 am

I get locked into obsessive thoughts every day. They are usually negative thoughts about my relationship or how others see me. This creates a lot of anxiety. I also have dominant thoughts of the unknown... what if this or that? A lot of anxiety. If I'm not obsessing in a negative way I am usually thinking about something I'm locked into, like studying ASD or whatever the topic might be that day.

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

YES! I think this obsession helps me to discover solutions to problems - because I CAN NOT stop thinking about them. I have to solve something before I can let it go. This forces me to solve all my problems.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com