Broad Autistic Phenotype with agnosia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 11:56 pm

Is it possible for someone to be of the Broad Autistic Phenotype and experience agnosias?

Ive been here for a year now and I feel I wouldn't meet the criteria for a diagnosis , as I could identify with only 5 points in the DSM-4.
And these are not enough to have 'teeth' to be "cut deeply" as to feel "significantly impaired" by it. I do experience problems with processing information when under stress and then it has more "teeth".

One odd thing to me is this phenomenon of "Object Blindness" that I experience from time to time, and it may be related to executive functioning problems. There is a thread here on this and it seems to be a problem with some on the spectrum.

This is an experience and I copied and pasted it here from an earlier post I made :

Quote:
At times I have lost my ability to " to literally see objects or things".
This happens when I'm looking for something and I'm unable to see it , hence unable to find what I'm looking for.

I thought this was just my idiosyncratic self , until one day I was looking right at where it ought to be , and I relaxed a bit( unconsciously) and the missing object started to materialize from the bottom up to the top in a progression of several seconds to a complete form.

My vision literally scanned" it" starting in a sweeping left to right stroke , going left then right , then each sequence building said object up in progressive steps all the way to the top in a few seconds.

This is very odd as I never had a stroke ,acute high fever or carbon monoxide poisoning , and the only pointer to me is either brain damage or executive functioning problems as it only occurs when I'm a little overloaded.

But people on the spectrum do experience this "phenomena" : http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt47998.html
I was lucky enough to see this unveil itself one day .

My thinking is either its sub clinical with an agnosia or this is something entirely else.
I honestly think I'm outside of "the bubble" of being significantly impaired.

Thanks in advance

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 2:13 am

It takes me a tangible degree of effort at the best of times to identify objects in a typical(ish) way and at worst it just doesn't happen. In my default state I see colors and shapes and such. That's always been a major component of how autism works for me.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 2:30 am

Probably. You can have one symptom of ASDs that's extremely marked, but not have an ASD as the rest isn't there.

I see things in their component pieces. I don't see the "whole" of things, just each piece that makes it up. Which is entirely different, as I still recognize what all of the pieces equal; it just takes me longer to put it all together.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 5:25 am

anbuend wrote:
It takes me a tangible degree of effort at the best of times to identify objects in a typical(ish) way and at worst it just doesn't happen. In my default state I see colors and shapes and such. That's always been a major component of how autism works for me.

I'm similar but not as intense. But intense enough that it's nearly impossible for me to keep the apartment picked up. My partner just drops things on the floor all the time (he's not very mobile and I've tried putting a trash can next to him but because he spends his days in an "office" made out of a close with the door taken off, he can't reach the trash can, even if it's right behind him, and stuff ends up on the floor anyway.)

I'm supposed to have all this stuff picked up off the floor by July but every time I get a trash bag, I just stand there looking at all the colors and jumble of stuff (it's actually become a crushed-down layer of stuff we walk on top of) and I don't know where to start and I get overwhelmed and end up putting the trash bag down and going back to my computer where things make sense.

There's also a sink full of dishes that are starting to smell pretty bad because the sink broke somehow and no water comes out of it so I can't use my dishwasher and I can only wash dishes in the bathtub and my partner says that when I get the stuff picked up off the floor we can tell the landlord the sink is broken. But it adds to the confusion and jumble that the bathtub has yet another purpose now (I also do laundry in an electric bucket and hang it to dry on a wooden rack in the bathtub but I can't do that when it's full of dishes.) So I'm juggling trying to keep my body clean (important this time of year because the heat gives me painful rashes if I don't bathe regularly), trying to keep enough dishes clean to keep us in food and trying to do laundry, which I'm already behind in because it takes so long to wash one or two items at a time.

It's just all gotten to be too much and I'm afraid I won't be able to accomplish anything by July and my partner can't help because of his disabilities and the stuff on the floor just keeps adding up every day when he puts more stuff there and it's all just a big visual jumble for me now so that I don't even know where to start with it.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.