Ever feel like your family don't care about your interests?

Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:06 am

I understand completely. I memorized every country in record time (around 15-16 seconds) and people just say they could do better. In fact, I get vicious bullying and taunting whenever I try to show something I've done. Sometimes, if I sketch a house or a figure, and I want to show it to someone, they give mea funny face, take the notebook, and set it on fire. Sometimes, in the past, when I've tried to communicate with people, all I get is a laugh and a few insults and they leave me there. I'm often physically confronted as well, and people like to invade my space just to try to break me. It's really tiring actually, sometimes I wonder if I should just leave the school system I'm in and go somewhere where culture, sciences, intellect, arts, music, chemistry, mathematics, and other are more appreciated and given the priority rather than social aptitude and popularity. I'm thoroughly disgusted by some of what I see, but hey, nothing I can do but weather it like I have been. Hopefully one day I can find someone who really challenges me.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 11:11 am

Mine HATED my special interest/s and forbid me to talk about them until I was able to see their their hypocrisy and BS... And my mom wondered why I was so depressed and angry at her all the time.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2017, 11:30 am

burnt_orange wrote:
NT's are supposed to be good at conversation, but I've found they don't care and are often really rude about it. I will listen to whatever a loved one has to say, but I rarely get the same in return.

This is exactly how it goes. I figure if I suffer through their small talk then it's only fair for them to listen to me for a while. Fairness doesn't seem to play out in reality though. You either talk about what they want to or don't talk at all.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 4:10 pm

It depends on the interest in question.
Although both my father and I like video games, we usually like very different kinds of them.
All 3 of us love animals and are interested in animals, so that's something we can talk about (particularly my mother and I) and watch programs/ videos of together (all 3 of us). Although only I have turtles as my fave animal, the rest of my family also like turtles.
To some degree we like similar movies and can watch a lot of the same stuff together (particularly horror and thrillers). Of course we all have movies and series that only one of us like, but we can also enjoy a lot of stuff together as we have somewhat similar tastes.
My mother and I are both bookworms and have some shared books we're both into, and we tell each other about the books we read.
All 3 of us like sharing weird stories we've heard (paranormal, conspiracies, mysteries), those are topics we all find very entertaining.
Both my mother and I like board/card /dice games, and we are both relaxed players who are into it for a good and relaxing time, so we play in the same way, all about enjoying ourselves, unlike my father who is all about winning and has to overthink every move he makes.

So we definitely share some interests.

Pokemon is a huge interest of mine that no one is my family share, but reading the manga and playing the games on my own is no problem.

The real problem when I was younger was that they didn't understand about how preoccupied I am with my interests when I have them (especially obsessions), but now that I'm diagnosed, it's less of an issue.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

Everyone in my family, (2 NT, 2 AS) had their own interests. They didn't ask about mine, and I didn't ask about theirs - I saw enough. To be with people, I have usually had to focus on some fairly boring stuff. A few thousand in the world are interested in one of my special interests, but only a handful can discuss it on the same level.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:37 am

I don't care about my parents interests and they don't care about mine. It doesn't bother me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2017, 4:04 am

League_Girl wrote:
I don't care about my parents interests and they don't care about mine. It doesn't bother me.

^^^^ This! My dad loves football and I hate it. My wife likes to watch long distance running which, in my opinion, has to be one of the most boring things there is. My daughter loves makeup and fashion, which I find pointless. My AS son is really into submarines, especially USSR/Russian subs and I'm not that into them. I love film but couldn't care less if my family doesn't enjoy it to the same extent that I do. However, I do make sure that my children and I always share at least one activity that we enjoy together: with my son it was archery and my daughter it's climbing.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:10 am

My family was pretty good about my interests. They only told me to be careful and to not let them take over my life, something I regret I wasn't always able to do. I promised myself that every time I had a new interest, I wouldn't overdo it, lest I got sick of it. Unfortunately, I didn't succeed on that score.

I am able to share other people's interests, as long as they are positive. I can't share a love of potentially dangerous activities and would be very worried if anyone I cared for engaged in them.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2017, 10:12 am

I don't think most people care about what I perseverate on. For example, I might get really excited about how a bass guitar sounds in a song, maybe a certain break that gets my endorphins going. I'll keep listening to the same 5-second break over and over again. Or I'll have an urge to learn everything I can about diesel fuel and engines, and spend hours on the Internet researching it. I get really passionate about things in a way most people don't. With my wife, I'm able to find some common ground in things we like doing, but she doesn't perseverate on specific topics the way I do.

I think it's okay most people don't get what I'm into. I like doing what makes me happy. No one else has the responsibility, nor the power to make me happy. True joy comes from within.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2017, 10:59 am

FalconPunch39 wrote:
One of the many characteristics of people with Autism/Aspergers' is that they are unable to keep a long conversation. I have a huge interest and talent for Art, and my family knows this. But they don't talk about it let alone acknowledge it unless I bring it up first. Art is a very big deal to me, I even have a studio build inside the house and they walk in and out of it, and no one has compliment my work. Last year I did a painting for my father's bithday and all he said was "nice" and he never spoke of it again. My mother calls my Artistic heroes who are Salvador Dali & Jean Michel Basquait the pedophile and the junkie who never finished school. And whenever my sister had art homework she has only asked for my help once the entire school year. I makes me feel like i am alone in this world.

So does anyone ever feel this way, or am I just over exaggerating!
Do you have a deviantart? I'd love to see your work.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2017, 11:24 am

The Unleasher wrote:
It's not nice to generalise all NT's. But I won't lecture others on it. Besides, I've generalised other entire groups before. Anyway, I do feel this way at times.

It's interesting to note when "NTs" are mentioned in some monolithic fashion, that a good portion of those NTs may consist of others with mental health issues, who feel marginalized by mainstream society in one way or another.

In the end, we're all human. There's no need to feel superior.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2017, 5:28 am

FalconPunch39 wrote:
One of the many characteristics of people with Autism/Aspergers' is that they are unable to keep a long conversation. I have a huge interest and talent for Art, and my family knows this. But they don't talk about it let alone acknowledge it unless I bring it up first. Art is a very big deal to me, I even have a studio build inside the house and they walk in and out of it, and no one has compliment my work. Last year I did a painting for my father's bithday and all he said was "nice" and he never spoke of it again. My mother calls my Artistic heroes who are Salvador Dali & Jean Michel Basquait the pedophile and the junkie who never finished school. And whenever my sister had art homework she has only asked for my help once the entire school year. I makes me feel like i am alone in this world.

So does anyone ever feel this way, or am I just over exaggerating!

Can I see some of your art plz :)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

My mom and sister do not care about my special interests at all. My mom actually makes fun of me for loving Doctor Who and Torchwood so much. As long as I don't talk about them around her though, she leaves me alone. However, if I even mention anything related, my mom will say hurtful things. I try not to talk around her because I don't want my feelings to get hurt. I often feel like the internet is the only place I can be myself.

Julu
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 3:45 pm

My family don't care about my interests either, so I avoid talking about them. Even though I really want to, I know that if they say something dismissive I'll take it too personally and feel hurt... so I've learned its better to only talk about my obsessions if the person shows an interest (and even then I am hesitant to start, because I know I'll just go into a rambling monologue and have a hard time 'reeling it in').

On the other hand, they do try sometimes. Like my mom once said 'oh not this again' when I started trying to show her a clip related to my obsession, which to me was hurtful and a signal not to bring it up again. But the next time I saw her, she brought something up that was related, as a way to make conversation, and later let me show her some clips and was much more receptive. Since i don't talk to her very much normally I think she realised it was a way to connect with me and saw how happier I was to share my interests with her. But I guess it required some patience on her side.

I try to see it as a two way street - If I don't care about their interests, why would they want to listen to me bore them with mine? If I show an interest in them, maybe they'll be more receptive to my interests. That helps give me some perspective when I take their disinterest too personally.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

I don't expect my family to care about WWII, Germany and Hogan's Heroes. Expecting them to do that is like my mum expecting me to grow up and be a woman, even though I identify as a very young male in his 20s. Those expectations are very unrealistic.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:40 pm

About the only thing I can bond with my mother about is my interest in the 1970s. She's not a fan of the clothes from the era though, whereas I am. Everytime I see some 70s-style clothing I like she's all "why would you want to wear THAT?"

My little brother's getting into anime and I do enjoy talking about it with him though, so that's a plus.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~