Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:07 pm

Okay, although my parents and I get along much better, now our biggest argument is about the ac, especially at night. Now, I absolutely HATE the heat. I am so sensitive to it, which is why I like to have the ac at no higher than 75 degrees, yet my parents like it at 80 something. My father because the ac uses up electricity which will be charged on the electricity bill, and he hates spending money. Once he actually wanted to have some of the utilities removed. 8O Water and gas, I think. He's refused to replace a tv which was stolen during a break in. My mom FINALLY replaced it and gave me my tv back, but we have to tell him it was a father's day gift, so he doesn't know she spent the money(he's out of town right now).

And my mom, well, I think she must have some reptilian or avian dna or something. She's always complaining that it's freezing. :? I'm like, 'Mom, it's 105 degrees, and that's pretty cool, considering how it's going to get in a few days!'.

At the 80 degrees I hate it because I sweat during the night, even without a blanket. When it's cold, I can cuddle under the blanket. I especially love it when it's cold enough to use a heavy blanket.

Are you more sensitive to the heat or cold than most other people?

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:17 pm

I'm very sensitive to heat. I don't do well, in the heat.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2010, 1:18 pm

persian85033 wrote:
At the 80 degrees I hate it because I sweat during the night, even without a blanket. When it's cold, I can cuddle under the blanket. I especially love it when it's cold enough to use a heavy blanket.

That is exactly how I am! I try to keep the temp at 78 - 80 degrees, because of having a high electric bill, but find that I am still sweating. And at night, I have to keep the bedroom at about 72-75 degrees,so that I can use a heavy blanket. I cannot sleep with just a sheet, and sweating wakes me up, especially when it trickles down my neck, LOL. Yesterday, I had to run errands in the heat, and felt exhausted and sick when I got home.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:19 pm

I overheat really easily. Our AC stays around 60-something (all my family likes it cool...except for my little brother). My little brother has a plug-in heater that he'll even turn on when the heat index is 115, lol. I don't think my problem is related to AS though, as I have some endocrine problems and took steroids for a long time. I was cold-natured until I took the steroids for so long.

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2010, 1:23 pm

I'm *extremely* sensitive to heat especially...but also to temperature changing very rapidly as well. Sends me into sensory overload pretty easily...totally not cool(pun not intended...heh.)

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2010, 1:24 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Okay, although my parents and I get along much better, now our biggest argument is about the ac, especially at night. Now, I absolutely HATE the heat. I am so sensitive to it, which is why I like to have the ac at no higher than 75 degrees, yet my parents like it at 80 something. My father because the ac uses up electricity which will be charged on the electricity bill, and he hates spending money. Once he actually wanted to have some of the utilities removed. 8O Water and gas, I think. He's refused to replace a tv which was stolen during a break in. My mom FINALLY replaced it and gave me my tv back, but we have to tell him it was a father's day gift, so he doesn't know she spent the money(he's out of town right now).

And my mom, well, I think she must have some reptilian or avian dna or something. She's always complaining that it's freezing. :? I'm like, 'Mom, it's 105 degrees, and that's pretty cool, considering how it's going to get in a few days!'.

I am in pretty much the exact same situation. Heat bugs me a great deal, I love it when it the temperature is in the 60's, 50's are fine too. Low 70's I can still tolerate, but anything above 75 and I am uncomfortable. My fiancee calls me her human radiator, because she says I give off a lot of heat.

Also, as for your mom, it has been my experience that most women get cold easier than men do. My mother considers 75 degrees to be "jacket weather."

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:26 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
persian85033 wrote:

That is exactly how I am! I try to keep the temp at 78 - 80 degrees, because of having a high electric bill, but find that I am still sweating. And at night, I have to keep the bedroom at about 72-75 degrees,so that I can use a heavy blanket. I cannot sleep with just a sheet, and sweating wakes me up, especially when it trickles down my neck, LOL. Yesterday, I had to run errands in the heat, and felt exhausted and sick when I got home.

That's great to know there is at least someone with some common sense.lolThe sweat wakes me up during the night, too, especially my back and neck because of my hair. I HATE when I'm sweating and my hair gets wet. It's really hard for me to find a comfortable position, as it's so hot that I start sweating in a few minutes. And I literally soak my pajamas and the sheets, too. I get my parents to feel how wet my pajamas are when I get up, but they think I'm psychotic.

I've taken to drinking a lot of tea or milk during the afternoon and evening, so I'll wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and sneak to turn up the ac. :lol: My parents are pretty sound sleepers, so they don't notice until according to them it's freezing. Not that I need to use the bathroom to get up, the sweating and the heat takes care of that, but I have an excuse to leave my room if they do get up and see I'm up.

And yes, the heat is extremely exhausting.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:34 pm

I am sensitive to the temperature. I hate being in cars in the summer because it makes me throat feel sickly and I can't wait to get out, and when the windows are open it doesn't help because I've now got wind blowing in my face with force.
I hate hot hot days, it makes me feel all confused and fuzzy.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:22 pm

I am very sensitive to heat. If it's over 80 outside, I'm very unhappy. If it's over 90, I'm miserable. I get heat exhaustion over and over the people around me are perfectly fine.

Cold I am fine with. It can be well below zero and it rarely bother me at all, unless it's windy.

Both of there are outdoor temps, however...

So here's the weird thing and.... so I don't know if it's Asperger's or just a personal quirk, but INDOORS, it is the opposite. It can be 85 in the house and I don't even notice it. I almost never use air conditioning. I am embarrassed to have anyone come to my house, because it's always too hot for them. And I can't tolertate indoor temperatures below, say 68... Sometimes even below 70 and I'll be shivering my ass off.

So I don't know what it is, but there is a big difference between my indoor and outdoor tolerances.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:32 pm

I don't know what those temperatures mean, as we don't use the devil's Fahrenheit over here. :P

But yes, I am very sensitive to heat. My family keeps telling me that I'm freezing when they touch my skin, but I don't feel it. Even when I do feel the cold, the sporadic, uncontrollable shivers are pleasant to me. The sunlight's touch on my skin feels uncomfortable, especially at higher temperatures.
I often go outside wearing only a t-shirt to cover my upper body, even in the dead of winter when there's freezing winds. Eventhough the shivers can get rather violent, it never takes more than 10 minutes of walking to warm me up to a level where my muscles can relax.

Luckily for me, my family don't mind putting on a sweather or covering themselves with a blanket when they get cold, instead of turning up the A.C. and it's always at a comfortable temperature where I live now, despite the weather outside.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:46 pm

I guess I´m different from the rest of you; I am ultra sensitive to the cold. Many people have commented on this, so it must be abnormal. And unfortunately, I live in a northern climate :( . I think I need to move south.

As for sleeping, I like it toasty warm. I can´t sleep when I´m cold, my muscles tense all up. In the winter, sometimes I have to wear leggings, shirts, sweaters, and socks to bed, and I really hate that. Of course I wouldn´t want to sweat in bed either, but I hardly ever do that.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:54 pm

I can't stand being in extreme temperatures! Too hot or too cold, it makes me miserable. I think I need to move to somewhere like San Francisco, where the weather generally just stays cool.

hiddenname
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2010, 2:55 pm

In these days, I can't follow any of the lectures just because of the heat in lecture halls (around 95'F, yes I took a thermometer to lecture hall :wink: )

I take notes during lectures, but when I come back to my house and read what I have learned in there, I feel like some other person wrote the things to my notebook.

So, heat disturbs and distracts me at the same time :cry:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 3:20 pm

Extreme heat, yes, and bright sun.

Also cold, but only if the air is moving. I hate fans. Can't stand the noise, or the feeling of constant air blowing me. I prefer the fans that have "gust" settings, but still hate the noise.

I want to live in a place that stays around 60-65 degrees (F) all the time. A bit warmer if it's breezy.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 4:32 pm

Morgana wrote:
I guess I´m different from the rest of you; I am ultra sensitive to the cold. Many people have commented on this, so it must be abnormal. And unfortunately, I live in a northern climate :( . I think I need to move south.

As for sleeping, I like it toasty warm. I can´t sleep when I´m cold, my muscles tense all up. In the winter, sometimes I have to wear leggings, shirts, sweaters, and socks to bed, and I really hate that. Of course I wouldn´t want to sweat in bed either, but I hardly ever do that.
I'm the same way. I can't stand being cold. (Though in the winter I keep the thermostat on 55, or 60 at the most, because heat is so expensive, but I bundle up in two pairs of fleece pants and a bulky sweater, and sit under a blanket if I'm reading or watching TV, and I am not cold at all.)

I don't enjoy being too hot in the summer but I can deal with it. It doesn't bother me that much. I don't have an air conditioner. I hate going into air conditioned stores and restaurants that are freezing. I've had to leave stores because they were too cold.

I can't sleep well if I'm cold either, even just a little cold. I wake up sore because my muscles have been tensed up all night, and I have an exhausted day. I need to be bundled up under the blankets.

MrXxx wrote:
I hate fans. Can't stand the noise, or the feeling of constant air blowing me.
Fans drive me crazy if I'm trying to sleep. I can't have air blowing on me or I can't sleep, I can't even stand it if I'm breathing on my own arm, so I have to always wear long sleeves to bed, no matter how hot it is.

I think this issue has to do with pain sensitivity. People with AS tend to be very resistant to pain or very sensitive to it, especially on the skin. Cold is actually sort of painful (and even sensitivity to blowing air is an acute skin sensitivity). Being hot is uncomfortable but not painful like being cold, which feels like stinging needles.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 4:56 pm

I always look forward to the fall, after the third week, of summer heat.