Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 9:27 am

I had been attending an Autism Center for 5 years and I had participated in a few things such as panel discussions and a video interview. I thought that they were interested in me as so I went and talked to them about seeking employment there for connections. They told me that there was nothing available at the moment but I could create a resume and give it to them. So, I did what they asked me to and I got a phone call back from the center behaviorist and she told me that they could not hire me due to me being a client and it would be unethical for them since I was a client there. "We would like for you to give talks when we need you," she said on the phone.

The behaviorist then called me two months later and explained that she wanted to get me on their mentoring program as a volunteer in working with high school kids. She also kept leading me on about that and not once did she ever pull me to the side to ask when I would be available. I then recently sent her two e-mails about what was going on. She never responded to the first e-mail and then I sent her another one in stating that I felt like she dropped the ball on her behalf. I then said, "I hate to sound arrogant here, it's just that I would expect with the two panels that I was asked to participate in that there would be some connections by now."

She then wrote back and said that she was looking for something which I know is not true and she also wrote that she understood my disappointments and then accused me of being unprofessional.

Shivan
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2010, 9:51 am

I'm very sorry for what happened to you. Is tbere a supervisor above this person that you could talk to? Maybe you can get some clarity about what's going on. Try not to expect much, the supervisors' concern is for the center. *HUGS*

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 5:56 pm

Shivan wrote:
I'm very sorry for what happened to you. Is tbere a supervisor above this person that you could talk to? Maybe you can get some clarity about what's going on. Try not to expect much, the supervisors' concern is for the center. *HUGS*

Yep,
they especially think they're top banana because they are connected with Emory University so that is why they are pretty snotty.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2010, 9:03 am

There's definitely a conflict of interest with you being a client. It sounds like they weren't honest enough with you. If you can find another place to serve your needs or other people or situations, then it may be best to leave this place. I would also not apply right away or wait until your credentials change. Then they might reconsider you. Just don't expect anything, just submit documents because they are likely to give the cold shoulder :(

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 11:57 am

chessimprov wrote:
There's definitely a conflict of interest with you being a client. It sounds like they weren't honest enough with you. If you can find another place to serve your needs or other people or situations, then it may be best to leave this place. I would also not apply right away or wait until your credentials change. Then they might reconsider you. Just don't expect anything, just submit documents because they are likely to give the cold shoulder :(

What was strange about that is that she was so reluctant not to hire yet she bothered to call me and invite me to be a mentor on a voluntarily basis like that and then not follow through. I just thought that was so unethically wrong on their behalf.

So anyway, she never responded back to my e-mail regarding the one that I asked when I could go in and meet with her. Instead, she sent me an e-mail regarding a family funding program today. I RSVPed that there was no way to make it to that seminar today when I got it. So, she replied back and asked in a very cold short e-mail,

"But you're still going to come in this week right?" So, I wrote back and said yes and that I wanted to know what worked for her. She never even wrote back and I thought, Well, if she is going to act like that, I'm done.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 7:22 am

You're valuable so long as you don't cost them anything.

Once they have to hand out a check, you're not good enough.

kostopsykologi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 10:34 am

zer0netgain wrote:
You're valuable so long as you don't cost them anything.

Once they have to hand out a check, you're not good enough.

Hammer, meet nail! BANG!