Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2010, 11:51 am

Should I apply for disability benefits or get a job. I'm 18 almost 19 with no work experience and my mom is telling me to wait until she applies me for disability but she's taking too long to do it. College is going to start soon, and I'm broke.

what should I do?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 12:03 pm

You don't say what country you're in, so it's kind of hard to answer.

If you're in the US, I expect that unless your level of functionality is quite low, or you have some other handicap, you won't likely qualify for Disability at your age. You have to be able to prove that your disability is actually causing you enough trouble to make it near impossible to get or maintain gainful enough employment to support yourself.

Last edited by Willard on 19 Jun 2010, 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 12:40 pm

I would try looking or a job.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 6:22 pm

In the U.S., the government never wants to help. It only takes and punishes. If you want to get disability, you will have to fight for it tooth and nail. It is almost impossible to get without a lawyer. I have autistic disorder (the most severe diagnosis) and still was denied. I applied last year so that I could get health insurance (to satisfy Obama's government mandate). Medicaid in Florida will not provide coverage unless a person is on disability. You need to tell your mom that she needs to go ahead and apply, let you get a job, or she should financially support you. Unless you have the funds to wait years, you will starve to death before you see a single cent.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:22 am

cyberscan wrote:
In the U.S., the government never wants to help. It only takes and punishes. If you want to get disability, you will have to fight for it tooth and nail. It is almost impossible to get without a lawyer. I have autistic disorder (the most severe diagnosis) and still was denied. I applied last year so that I could get health insurance (to satisfy Obama's government mandate). Medicaid in Florida will not provide coverage unless a person is on disability. You need to tell your mom that she needs to go ahead and apply, let you get a job, or she should financially support you. Unless you have the funds to wait years, you will starve to death before you see a single cent.
i got disability benefits without a lawyer and i just have AS. I got it approved within about a month of applying :) .
also they threw in health insurance even though i'm still covered by Tricare til i'm 21 'cause my dad was in the navy 20 years. & also got food benefits too.
while i was down at the center, they also had free vaccination shots for H1N1 swine flu, so i jumped on that bandwagon too.

Their only condition so far has been to make a few doctors appointments to see what can be done for my AS. I'm getting $339/month. It basically only covers the cost of my rent though.

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2010, 5:00 am

Seanmw wrote:
cyberscan wrote:
i got disability benefits without a lawyer and i just have AS. I got it approved within about a month of applying :) .
also they threw in health insurance even though i'm still covered by Tricare til i'm 21 'cause my dad was in the navy 20 years. & also got food benefits too.
while i was down at the center, they also had free vaccination shots for H1N1 swine flu, so i jumped on that bandwagon too.

Their only condition so far has been to make a few doctors appointments to see what can be done for my AS. I'm getting $339/month. It basically only covers the cost of my rent though.

Wow, my mom finally applied me today and if I get it I'd get $604 a month. And then I can pay to fix my underbite and still have tons of money left over

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 5:16 am

Soledad wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

Wow, my mom finally applied me today and if I get it I'd get $604 a month. And then I can pay to fix my underbite and still have tons of money left over
mine could potentially double to that, but that's only if they decide i need it long-term. As i understand it, it basically means they're giving me a 1 year trial on the $339/month, because they're cheap bastards and are looking for an excuse to pay me less for as long as they reasonably can. Then it doubles after a time if i still show i need it once that period is over. But hey, i can play their game; i can wait :) .

Maybe one of these days i'll qualify for SSI too. But for now it's just GAU

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 8:07 am

Seanmw wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

I guess that there is no law, only bureaucrats. If we lived under rule of law, the same criteria would apply to everyone and it would apply in the same fashion.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2010, 1:12 am

Soledad wrote:
Should I apply for disability benefits or get a job. I'm 18 almost 19 with no work experience and my mom is telling me to wait until she applies me for disability but she's taking too long to do it. College is going to start soon, and I'm broke.

what should I do?

Here in America 1ce a person turns 18 it doesn't matter if their parents are on disability or not. They look at the disabled's income & situation for SSI. I applied after high-school cuz of some physical disabilities but they turned me down cuz my dad had setup aa mutal fund account & put my name on it when I was younger & they counted it as assets. I couldn't get my name off without closing it out. I was planning on getting a job so I left it in. A couple years latter I was still unemployed & started seeing a psych so I had to withdraw all that money & use it to pay a lot of medical bills I had. I would recommend applying now because some other agencies mite be more willing to help with schooling or employment if your on disability. I didn't have good health coverage from disability thou. None of the docs I saw would accept Medicaid so it only covered prescriptions for me,. I lost my Medicaid coverage at the end of last year because I was switched to Social Security Disability & sense I was making more than SSI; my Medicaid was cut off. I'm going to start getting Medicare at beginning of next moth, July but my benefit money is getting reduced so I can have the doctor coverage instead of only the hospital. In a way I would of been better off if I never worked because I ran up a lot of medical bills by wanting to work that I'm still paying off. After the cost for my Medicare coverage; I'll be making $10 a month more than what I would get from SSI. I would of probably been better off financially by NOT working at all. I know that was kind of a rant

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition