Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 8:24 am

I've always had a hot temper. I assumed it was genetic (I'm irish :) ). But now I'm wondering if it has to do with my AS.

If anger is a scale, say 0 -- 10, my temper has two settings 0 and 10, with nothing in between. And once it hits 10, it STAYS at 10 for with respect to that individual for a very long time.

I've never been violent, so mostly I supress it or vent verbally. Either way, it's very stressful. Is this something that's common to AS or is it just me?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 8:29 am

I think frustration is common to AS and that can lead to anger. I think AS runs in my dad's family and that side of the family is known for its temper. I did not inherit it, thankfully. It does seem very stressful.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2010, 8:47 am

I too get angry easily both with other people and myself. And in most cases I take out that anger on myself. It's not healthy and I've no solution, but agree its a common enough problem.

I would hope someone has a few words of wisdom as to how to deal with such situations - I try to run and hide but there must be a better way!

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2010, 9:03 am

I don't know if that is common to AS, although I will say that perhaps it has something to do with rigid and inflexible thinking - thinking in black-and-white, so to speak. The light switch is either ON or OFF.

Frankly, your description of anger fits me to a T! If I hadn't seen the screen name, I might have asked myself, "Did I write that?"

Komnenos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2010, 9:31 am

People with Aspergers can have trouble with understanding the intentions and feelings of others. It could be that some with Aspergers see insults and/or aggresions, that not really are insults and/or aggresions.

monkeybutt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2010, 10:57 am

I like your description of "0-10 with nothing in between". I totally know what you mean! I feel mostly calm all the time and then I'll get mad and just *boom*... usually screaming. Sometimes I pound my hands on the table or something, in frustration. My oldest son does the same thing- I said to his counselor he was "like a balloon, where he's just taking these little puffs of mad and saving them all up till he pops." He's also Aspgergers...

But I also know that many NTs have these same kinds of explosive anger. Therefore I can't tell if it's got anything to do with being and Aspie or if it's just a common (bad) way to handle anger.