26 Jun 2010, 3:31 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:

* Sandal gap toes (59%)
* Facial asymmetry (46%)
* Abnormal non-frontal hair whorl (39%)
* High narrow palate (37%)
* Attached ear lobes (35%)
* Hypermobile joints (33%)

I'd like to read the study, do you know the author(s)? My husband has sandal gap toes, facial asymmetry (everyone has this), odd hair whorl, attached earlobes, and my son has hyper mobile joints. I think my husband, at 53 is too old for hyper mobile joints.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:44 pm

RosieOne wrote:
I'd like to read the study, do you know the author(s)?

The full text of the paper is at http://www.springerlink.com/content/ck4 ... lltext.pdf, and there is some supplemental material at http://www.springerlink.com/content/ck441558236x33w7

Morphological Features in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Matched Case–Control Study
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Heval Ozgen1, 2, 8 Contact Information, Gerhard S. Hellemann3, Rebecca K. Stellato4, Bertine Lahuis1, 2, Emma van Daalen1, 2, Wouter G. Staal1, 2, Marije Rozendal1, 2, Raoul C. Hennekam5, 6, Frits A. Beemer7 and Herman van Engeland1, 2
(1) Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
(2) Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
(3) Center for Biostatistics, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
(4) SIStat, Semel Institute for Neuroscience, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
(5) Department of Pediatrics, Emma Children’s Hospital, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
(6) Clinical and Molecular Genetics Unit, Institute of Child Health, UCL, London, UK
(7) Department of Medical Genetics, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
(8) Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, UMC Utrecht, HP B01.201, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:47 pm

StuartN wrote:

Member only access...

The link is 404 not found.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:49 pm

I think I have all of those things (can't see my earlobes right now, so not sure about that part), but I seriously question studies like this.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:05 pm

anbuend wrote:
I think I have all of those things (can't see my earlobes right now, so not sure about that part), but I seriously question studies like this.

You can't see them either?! 8O

Whew! I thought their was something wrong with me. :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:34 pm

MrXxx wrote:
For this particular study, the abstract can be seen here: springer

You know, I was just thinking this entire subject sounded like a topic for that show. :wink:

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:46 pm

[quote]

* Sandal gap toes (59%) - Yes
* Facial asymmetry (46%) - I think everyone has some measure of this
* Abnormal non-frontal hair whorl (39%) - I can't see the back of my head.
* High narrow palate (37%) - Yes
* Attached ear lobes (35%) - Only on the left side
* Hypermobile joints (33%) - I'm the oposite
* Brachycephaly - No
* Mouth asymmetry - No, but I have noticed that many ASD folks have a pronounced down-turning of the corners of the mouth
* Eyes asymmetry - No, but they are closer to center than they should be
* Ear lobe crease - Not sure what this means exactly
* Macrostomia (large mouth) - Not particularly, but I have noticed this on some of my AS friends
* Limited facial expression - Absolutely
* Open mouth appearance - Yes
* Abnormal whorl - Again, I can't see the back of my head
* Prominent lower jaw - My lower Jaw is huge and blocky

I have also noticed, among other things, that the ASD folks I know IRL tend to have long arms with bony wrists and slightly bell-shaped rib cages... and generally carry physiological traits subtly reminiscent of earlier homonids, particularly Hn.

Last edited by Kaysea on 26 Jun 2010, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 6:04 pm

Oh I have all on the first list, is what I meant. (From <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/silentmiaow/956193394/sizes/o/in/set-72157601049139737/"">this photo</a> I think my earlobes are attached.)

Second list...

No brachycephaly. Doesn't everyone have mouth asymmetry to some degree just like face asymmetry? (But like someone pointed out I have very downturned mouth corners.) I don't think I have eye asymmetry (they're unusually large though). I don't know what an ear lobe crease is. I definitely don't have a large mouth, I have a really really really tiny mouth. As far as facial expression, I can make some expressions just fine but not for long periods, my default expression is extremely blank. Open mouth, absolutely. Whorls, yes again (been told I have two whorls, by people who shave my head). Prominent lower jaw, absolutely not, I've got a small and receded jaw to the point where it causes me problems.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:18 pm

I tend to have the hyper-mobile joints which has caused mean-spirited laughter in my direction though, I simply look the other way :)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:02 am

I don't have hardly any of those traits.

* Sandal gap toes (59%) - A little, I've always done well with sandals/flip flops
* Facial asymmetry (46%) - "I think everyone has some measure of this" ...agreed
* Abnormal non-frontal hair whorl (39%) - I have long hair, so I can't tell
* High narrow palate (37%) - Don't think so
* Attached ear lobes (35%) - No
* Hypermobile joints (33%) - Not at all. I'm very stiff.
* Brachycephaly - No
* Mouth asymmetry - My mouth looks pretty symmetrical
* Eyes asymmetry - Eyes are symmetrical, eyebrows are asymmetrical
* Ear lobe crease - No
* Macrostomia (large mouth) - Small mouth
* Limited facial expression - Duh
* Open mouth appearance - Not sure what this means
* Abnormal whorl - Still not sure, lol
* Prominent lower jaw - Don't really know. I don't think so.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:10 am

These two for certain:

* Limited facial expression
* Open mouth appearance

The first is because of the "flat affect" and lack of nonverbal cues (so of course those with an ASD will show this), the second is because my nose is always blocked and it's impossible to breathe out of.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:19 am

* Sandal gap toes (59%) - Yes, Muchso
* Facial asymmetry (46%) - Although everyone does have some degree in this it is actualy noticable in me, the entire left side of my face is shunted up slightly
* Abnormal non-frontal hair whorl (39%) - cant tell
* High narrow palate (37%) - to an extent but i cant really tell
* Attached ear lobes (35%) - No
* Hypermobile joints (33%) - yesh
* Brachycephaly - No
* Mouth asymmetry - the teeth on the left side of my face are higher
* Eyes asymmetry - my left eye is slightly higher and is titled upwards
* Ear lobe crease - no
* Macrostomia (large mouth) - absaloutly, I have an abnormally large mouth to the extent that i can fit both of my fists in it
* Limited facial expression - yesh
* Open mouth appearance - Yes, Im slackjawed
* Abnormal whorl - i dont know
* Prominent lower jaw - my jaw is long and defined but not blocky

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:34 am

MrXxx wrote:
StuartN wrote:

Member only access...

The link is 404 not found.

The link (exactly as you quoted it) opens a PDF copy of the full paper, so I am not sure why it is not working for you. There is additional detail about the methodology and cases in Word documents at the main link. The paper is marked as "Open Access" and is not restricted in any way at http://www.springerlink.com/content/ck441558236x33w7

(There seems to be no facility to post attachments in private messages, but perhaps someone with functional web access could email it to you).

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 6:50 am

Where can I find some definition (maybe pictures) for these features? What is sandal-gap toes? non-frontal whorls? I thought everybody has one on the top back part of their head? Does it mean a whorl off to the side above an ear or something?

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:16 am

I fit many of these. I also used to walk around with my mouth hanging open as a kid. What are sandal gap toes? Toes that are far apart? I can spread mine really far apart from eachother. And what are are hypermobile joints? Is this being double jointed? I am and my sister has hyperflexible ankles...she has inattentive ADHD but I've been starting to wonder if she has a touch of AS, most of my family members display some traits, but we have different fathers and her dad has some SUPER Aspie tendencies.