Page 4 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:25 am

layla87 wrote:
No if anything we are MORE mature:
You might be scratching your head but I'll explain,

Alot of immaturity is derived from social problems between NT's, male NT's are so damn competitive, NT females are so jealous at times, they they do stupid and mean and immature things to each other to hurt each other and then get revenge.
Not saying this never happens to Aspies, but since we are less extraverted, we are generally not inclined to get caught up in all that bitchy drama crap.
We are also not likely to follow the crowd, and can make open-minded and level headed decisions.

Also there is NOTHING wrong with liking cartoons and holding onto childhood memories, I am in some cases like a child, but I am also responsible, reliable, and educated. I am not inferior to NT's at all, I just think differently :D

I don't know when I start getting too stressed, get really bothered/upset or fall into the gloomy pits of my reoccurring major depression my ability to make level headed decisions kind of goes out the window a little bit or at least becomes a lot harder. I can still make 'open minded' decisions but in that state the decisions I might 'open my mind to' might be terrible.

Also I do not strive to follow 'the crowd' but if I am hanging out with a group of people...I am not going to be vehemently opposed to following along a little bit with the group rather than being contrary about everything. Not to mention I can be terrible at deciding on things to do, sometimes much easier to go along with people who already have some manner of plans. Though I am not going to do something though just because 'all the popular people do' for instance...or because its the latest fad being fed to the masses.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:35 am

Hosting a visitor from overseas who, like myself, is very interested in birds, I took him to the Auckland zoo especially to see the kiwis, though we also really enjoyed seeing the beautiful grounds and other animals who live there - particularly the rare Tasmanian Devils, and we walked through a beautiful park nearby where we saw a native New Zealand white heron, the Kotuku, which is very rarely sighted in this part of New Zealand, (only three sightings in years) which thrilled us both. What a wonderful day it was. If this is immaturity, I aim to be as immature as possible as often as possible whenever possible, and one thing I love about being part of the ASD world is that so many of us have a deep respect for other kinds of animals.

So what is maturity to the OP? I know this is an old post though it would have been revealing to request the OP to define his/her opinion as to what constitutes proper "mature" NT behaviour - and what activities he/she thinks are characteristic of and permissible within his/her definition.. then we can all strive to live up to that, lol. :)

OP quote:
"Also, sentence structure and word choices more childish, immature, slang etc..."

So kind of NTs to share their superior insights for our own good.. I will certainly bear this in mind if I should decide to do my doctorate after all. What would we do without helpful advice like this from our betters? :)

Kyubey
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2015, 11:01 am

Ive been more immature in interests but more mature in judgement skills then some of my own age group.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

B19 wrote:

So kind of NTs to share their superior insights for our own good.. I will certainly bear this in mind if I should decide to do my doctorate after all. What would we do without helpful advice like this from our betters? :)

Irony. I just love it. :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 9:04 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
Is somebody is sociophobic, afraid of everything, can't use public transport, manage basic things and get a job - yes, they're immature.

Beg to differ...
Social phobia/anxiety is a mental illness/disorder rather than immaturity...
Please correct me if I am wrong, but your argument needs to be convincing... ;)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:50 pm

I know people who can do all of those things, yet their understanding of life is narrow, undeveloped, and they have not mastered the adult task of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for their choices, so I don't regard them as models of maturity at all. People may show all those basic competencies but still manifest poor-me, life is never fair, it's never my fault, I am always right and everyone else is wrong characteristics which to my mind are far more indicative of immaturity patterns.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:53 pm

B19 wrote:
I know people who can do all of those things, yet their understanding of life is narrow, undeveloped, and they have not mastered the adult task of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for their choices, so I don't regard them as models of maturity at all. People may show all those basic competencies but still manifest poor-me, life is never fair, it's never my fault, I am always right and everyone else is wrong characteristics which to my mind are far more indicative of immaturity patterns.

that's an insuperable barrier to some of us, to learn how to become real adults. I'm still struggling with it.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 11:30 pm

As I said in a different thread on a similar subject, I was born old.

I may have had a speech delay, but I definitely had problems with speech, which, although the school district tried to address the issue, my parents (Mom, in particular) fought them tooth and nail, just like they fought the school district regardless what activity I was involved with.

I also have horrible handwriting. To this day, I'm told I'm a lazy sonofabitch because my handwriting is like an M.D. :mrgreen: I point out that have you ever tried to read handwritten script when the doctor hands you a prescription to be filled, and it gets thrown in my face that the doctor is all-wise (<sarcasm>RIIIIIIGHT!! !! !! !! !</sarcasm>) and I'm an idiot. I try to tell people how badly my wrists hurt (and now, with having carpal tunnel in both wrists, I don't get jumped on as much), I was always told by both teachers and my parents I was full of sh!t and I'm a lazy sonofabitch and not trying hard enough to be neat.

I seldom was invited to parties of any kind, unless it a group I was involved with. Even then, I was a bit uncomfortable, because, with the exception of church choir, alcohol was involved. I don't like drunks (my maternal grandfather was the town drunk, and he got quite vicious when drunk), and I can't stand the smell and taste of alcoholic beverages.

When it comes to finances, they're always in a mess. My checking account is continually bouncing. I'm surprised my current bank hasn't closed my account. I try not to bounce a check, but it's damn hard not to do so when the gas gauge in the car is sitting on E, and I have a doctor's appointment in Baltimore, and it's 3 weeks until I get my next SSDI payment. Credit cards are even worse. Add to that my most recent stays in hospital, with the bills I ran up because the Medicare advantage plan I signed up for didn't pay for everything, having to spend $900.00 to get my car out of the shop this past month, because of a $7.00 fuse, $100.00 for a new alternator, a $200.00 car payment, a$111.00 car insurance payment, a $350.00 towing and storage bill, and you'll understand why I don't have much food around the house, why sprint is ready to disconnect and take both my iPhone 6 plus and my iPad Air 2 that I lease from them because I owe them $300.00 for last month's, as well as this month's service, which I'm not able to pay them the full amount again this month, since I have to put a new down pipe on my car this month so I can get my car to pass both PA safety and emissions inspection, and why I don't go much of anywhere.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 11:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
B19 wrote:

that's an insuperable barrier to some of us, to learn how to become real adults. I'm still struggling with it.

AB, you have many mature qualities and they shine brightly on WP. Your thoughtful kindness towards others, always a willingness to walk a mile in "the other guy's shoes, the ability to see beyond your own issues, your courtesy, and your charming nature, which strives to see the value in other people. I would say you a long way down to the round to human maturity on a soul level.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 11:50 pm

[quote="Meistersinger"]

|I also have horrible handwriting.'

Many of the most brilliant - genius level - people I know have appalling handwriting. You are in good company there MS.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:00 am

B19 wrote:
AB, you have many mature qualities and they shine brightly on WP. Your thoughtful kindness towards others, always a willingness to walk a mile in "the other guy's shoes, the ability to see beyond your own issues, your courtesy, and your charming nature, which strives to see the value in other people. I would say you a long way down to the round to human maturity on a soul level.

thank you :mrgreen: it is a continual struggle to stay on the bright side. here is an old Cherokee legend-
One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, “My son, the battle is between two “wolves” inside us all.
One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed
.”
so I keep trying to feed the good side anyway I can. sometimes I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel, though. part of this is cutting struggling folk lots of slack, which can be the hardest part.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:04 am

Meistersinger wrote:
As I said in a different thread on a similar subject, I was born old. I may have had a speech delay, but I definitely had problems with speech, which, although the school district tried to address the issue, my parents (Mom, in particular) fought them tooth and nail, just like they fought the school district regardless what activity I was involved with. I also have horrible handwriting. To this day, I'm told I'm a lazy sonofabitch because my handwriting is like an M.D. :mrgreen: I point out that have you ever tried to read handwritten script when the doctor hands you a prescription to be filled, and it gets thrown in my face that the doctor is all-wise (<sarcasm>RIIIIIIGHT!! ! ! ! ! ! ! !</sarcasm>) and I'm an idiot. I try to tell people how badly my wrists hurt (and now, with having carpal tunnel in both wrists, I don't get jumped on as much), I was always told by both teachers and my parents I was full of sh!t and I'm a lazy sonofabitch and not trying hard enough to be neat. I seldom was invited to parties of any kind, unless it a group I was involved with. Even then, I was a bit uncomfortable, because, with the exception of church choir, alcohol was involved. I don't like drunks (my maternal grandfather was the town drunk, and he got quite vicious when drunk), and I can't stand the smell and taste of alcoholic beverages.

hang in there Image my handwriting is chicken scratch also, thank god for keyboards!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:16 am

auntblabby wrote:
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed[/i].”

Nice...

BTW...You two should get a room... :mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:42 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed[/i].”

Nice...BTW...You two should get a room... :mrgreen:

wrong planet is our room :)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 8:06 am

..I probably am - At least , " as people would define it " :| .

tombo12boar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2015, 8:23 am

"Well if immature is running around, going to bars and raves, drinking and getting drunk, smoking the occasional joint and having sex with someone on the first, second, or third date, then people with AS generally aren't, and NT's generally are. "

I agree that it's stupid. I've heard lots of women complaining about immature geek men who like comics and video games, but the biggest selling men's books here are either about business sleaze/mafia or autobiographies of racing drivers. Is that really so much more noble and admirable than comics.