03 Jul 2010, 4:17 pm

*Raises hand and waves it around*

Yes.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 1:28 am

Greenmouse wrote:
Do you sometimes wish to be like other people around you?

Yes, I'm quite socially inept. But apparently I disguise this fairly well by following my social rules of engagement.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 3:44 am

I'm confused here, why did the OP ask two completely different questions in this thread?

To clarify, I am socially inept, but I do not wish to be like everyone else.

Last edited by Asp-Z on 07 Jul 2010, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hello-Nurse7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2010, 6:52 pm

For the most part, I consider most of the other people around me (middle schoolers) to be boring, and also cruel and mean. But there are times when I wish I could just relax, go up and just start talking and enjoying myself, instead of worrying what to say, how to say it, how to act, my mind is racing, etc.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 2:28 pm

Yes I will never win a trophy for being comfortable in social situations-I go into a shell even when just going out to lunch with co workers and I do not wish to be like the NT's -seems like too much drama follows.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 9:51 pm

Totally. 41 years of socially inept and counting.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

I don't quite understand what my social ineptness is exactly. I never know whether I'm just psyching myself out or making excuses to avoid socializing but it often feels like I just don't belong in a lot of situations. I feel like I have to put on an act but I can never quite picture myself from the outside. I just feel ashamed of myself for some reason I can't totally identify. I feel like this cold dead nothing person. I'd like to come out of my shell but I can't because I don't really know what's inside. I don't even know if what I write makes any sense outside of my own head.

sayjack
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2010, 3:35 pm

another_1 wrote:
Yes, I sometimes wish I was able to socialize the way others are. Last night, I went to a very small gathering at someone's house - only FIVE of us, and I know all of them. The host and his wife I don't know well, but they are some of the most open, welcoming people you could hope to meet. I still was unable to participate in the ongoing conversation - I'm just not interested in the same things, so I can't offer comment on whatever it is. :wall:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Willard wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
(I don't believe in AS , AS = socially ineptness label invented by psychiatrists)

Well, if that's your attitude . . . <SNIP>. . . don't you dare insult those of us with very real handicaps by pretending that just because your ability to function normally isn't crippled by things beyond your control that the rest of us are merely a little 'socially inept'.

Hey, you're going totally off-topic. Stick to the topic. You can always pm me.

Wow. Condescend much? Your comment was slightly more appropriate than using the "n-word" at an NAACP convention, and you think it's not appropriate for you to be corrected publicly? And I thought I was socially inept!

[ edited to make sure I was "on topic".]

grandtheftrondo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jul 2010, 1:06 am

RE:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really socially inept due to lack of experience and the fact that I think way too much about stuff. I don't have anybody I'd call a friend, just people I see once a week at most.

Through my experience, its better not to think about things. When you are out there meeting people, you should be in the moment. Listen to what they have to say and go with the flow of the conversation. I used to think too much about how to act when speaking with people when i am in an actual conversation and you know what I end up missing their point, the conversation doesn't flow, I get anxious, and I walk away without making friends. Now i silence my thinking during a conversation and I am connecting with people and enjoying conversation.

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 2:56 am

Sometimes.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 2:22 pm

Yes.