WebM (combining VP8 codec and existing Vorbis audio codec)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2010, 3:13 pm

Since May 19 If I remember correctly, webm was announced, a video format which aims to be as royalty free and floss as ogg theora is. After reading similar entries I learnt that youtube will soon get a bit more less dependent on adobe flash software for people to watch videos on youtube. Right now I'm using Minefield(firefox beta) 4.0b2pre which is one of the first times I use beta software because I want to watch youtube videos without being dependent on the flash software.
There's also a search plugin at mycroft to search for only webm videos on youtube.

I don't think it's for the general audience, only for those that care extra for software libre or for those that are "hard core open sourcers".

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 3:44 pm

Right, they already had h.264 for html5 video but that one is patented. If Webm gains traction it could be a nice way to move past Flash without having to accept another proprietary standard.

I think Opera and Chrome are also supporting Webm, and possibly IE9 might have it. That leaves Safari as the only major browser that doesn't have plans to adopt webm.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 11:12 am

I check here sometimes for links to the latest firefox experimental software(it includes info on all browsers that support h.264 or WebM in relation to html5: http://www.youtube.com/html5

Soon after the announcement of webm when I couldn't watch videos using the firefox experimental software on youtube I installed the Chromium browser and it worked fine with webm video.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2010, 8:57 am

I made a whole lot of effort nearly breaking my Ubuntu system Lucid Lynx 10.04 by trying various "hacks"(trying to get gstreamer with various repositories) that I read from tutorials trying to get an encoder for transmageddon and similar encoding software to encode my first own webm file. I did not manage to encode any videos from this effort. After my disappointment I noticed that firefogg's most recent versions also include encoding a video to webm.

So firefogg 1.2.10 ( http://firefogg.org/ ) now has two ready profiles for webm, one "medium resolution and bitrate" and one "high quality and high bitrate". Now I should mention that the encoder is in it's really early stages, so expect lots of delays when encoding.

I don't know if you've tried firefogg, but as it's only 'dependency' is firefox (since firefogg is an add-on) it's pretty easy to install and given that you have enough bandwidth for its updates which are around 6.7MB for this huge addon everything should be just fine. Sometimes it seems that webm encoding is stuck "forever" and I'm not always sure it will continue encoding or just be stuck "forever".

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2010, 8:05 pm

ffmpeg can encode WebM pretty fine, actually.

Last edited by Jookia on 26 Jul 2010, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2010, 2:02 pm

Do you mean through the commandline interface?

In firefogg just select from the menu Tools -> Make Ogg Video (actually it also makes webm). Then a webpage pops up where you can click on the button "Select file". Do that and then the button "Encode" becomes available..click on that as well, save it somewhere and it starts. (not it is a bit more complicated since you first need to select one of the 2 webm profiles so it will become a webm file)

How does ffmpeg do this procedure? Do you know of any gui frontent for ffmpeg?

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 9:01 pm

one1ai wrote:
Do you mean through the commandline interface?

In firefogg just select from the menu Tools -> Make Ogg Video (actually it also makes webm). Then a webpage pops up where you can click on the button "Select file". Do that and then the button "Encode" becomes available..click on that as well, save it somewhere and it starts. (not it is a bit more complicated since you first need to select one of the 2 webm profiles so it will become a webm file)

How does ffmpeg do this procedure? Do you know of any gui frontent for ffmpeg?

That sounds more complicated than just typing 'ffmpeg -i video.mpg video.webm' in the terminal..

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2010, 5:54 pm

Yes it sounds more complicated for you who wants to use the commandline interface to do your computing in this instance.

Although it's less likely by doing 'man ffmpeg' that you will get this line first:
'ffmpeg -i video.mpg video.webm'

So the only way to find out that this is the command either you will have to tell me(just as you did) or I have to find out myself. So let's assume now that someone else gets ffmpeg. That person also needs you or me to tell them: "Hey! just use 'ffmpeg -i video.mpg video.webm' "

ffmpeg needs compiling for the latest version, doesn't it? While firefogg is a huge download (around 7Megabytes) it still is pretty simple without commandline interfaces.

Although for slow machines, like my netbook, ffmpeg is probably the only thing that works for me, because the firefogg addon freezes my browser.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 6:36 pm

That wasn't my point. My point is that you blurted out a gigantic post about how to use a GUI and my one liner did what you wanted quicker and simpler.

The latest version of ffmpeg that can do WebM is the one in the repos.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2010, 2:49 pm

Jookia wrote:
ffmpeg can encode WebM pretty fine, actually.

On a later post you mentioned that "ffmpeg is available in the repositories". I agree partly because if someone has an older version of Ubuntu or Debian or another distro then they are out of luck. Anyway FireFogg includes ffmpeg latest versions so just installing the addon gets you a recent version of ffmpeg, even if you are out of luck with an older version of a distro. (not all people 'upgrade their distro' while the 'new version' gets out)
A bit irrelevant, but if I didn't mention it the latest version of FireFogg is 1.2.10 (uses ffmpeg, yes repeating myself, which converts to webm)

Do you think that a "technophobe" will choose the commandline command, or the Graphical User Inteface? CLI commands are faster and can be shorter. I may use them, but maybe not those that are a bit uncomfortable or "afraid" of technology, I think they will prefer the GUI where doing things in '10 steps' accomplishes the same task as your '1 step' option. What do you think?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 3:19 pm

one1ai wrote:
Do you think that a "technophobe" will choose the commandline command, or the Graphical User Inteface? CLI commands are faster and can be shorter. I may use them, but maybe not those that are a bit uncomfortable or "afraid" of technology, I think they will prefer the GUI where doing things in '10 steps' accomplishes the same task as your '1 step' option. What do you think?

Those people will choose IE and Flash, so in this context it's rather a moot point.