Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Where do you look when someone is talking to you, or you are watchng a character on TV or a movie?
I mostly watch the lips. 63%  63%  [ 32 ]
I mostly watch the eyes. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I sometimes watch the lips and sometimes watch the eyes. 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
I usually look elsewhere. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 51

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2010, 5:17 am

I mostly look at the lips when someone is talking. If I'm not watching their lips, I'm not looking at them at all.
I absorb what people are saying if I can see their lips while they are talking to me. Also if I'm not watching lips I will not retain what the person has said.
If I try to look at their eyes I feel like I'm in a tunnel and their voice is all I can hear and it's so loud I can't understand them.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 11:20 am

StuartN wrote:
I always watch the lips, and sometimes suspect that I have some kind of selective deafness because my hearing is actually very acute, but I don't hear the same conversation that other people tell me happened.

I wonder this about myself all the time. I know when I was in elementary school, they suspected I had some hearing loss. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility given how many ear infections I suffered as a kid.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 11:21 am

I do it subconsciously, but I'll either look at the eyes or lips depending on... Well, I dunno what it depends on, it's all subconscious :lol:

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 11:25 am

I don't look at eyes thats weird

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 12:52 pm

I usually look at the lips when they're talking. Otherwise, I can't really understand them. I have to pay close attention.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 1:19 pm

I watch lips when people are talking, but I seem to miss things anyway.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

starquake
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2010, 1:35 pm

I was just thinking about this some days ago when I was sitting in the cafeteria with one of my colleagues - well, I'm working hard to have her as a friend, but I don't know if I'll succeed, I'm kinda worried for her not to get hurt by me -, so she was talking to me (I don't exactly know what it was about because I was hardly receiving the message). I usually tried to look in her eyes, because I know how important that is for NT's, but I'm rarely able to do that for more than a few seconds.

So I started to look at her lips - I'm usually doing that when talking to someone. But then I thought that maybe this would be very weird for her, so instead I started to look somewhere else, sometimes looking into her eyes just to make her feel that I'm "listening".

But I think now it's obvious that instead of listening to her, my mind was full with thoughts about how to act as an NT.

Actually, I told her I'm most probably an aspie and told her about some of the symptoms, so I think maybe she won't mind if I act weird. As she studied communications in the university, I've asked her about what she learned about not keeping an eye contact. She replied instantly: "not telling the truth".... aww :(

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 1:54 pm

Mostly, I watch someone's lips...but if they have some other feature that catches my eye...say a mole...I cannot divert my eyes from it. :oops: Sometimes during conversation, if there is nothing that stands out, my eyes will wander off to whatever else catches my attention. I've gotten better at glimpsing at eyes than I used to be, but if I'm really tired or stressed, all bets are off!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 2:55 pm

I watch lips nearly 100% of the time. If I'm in a quiet environment I don' t need to so much but at work or in a store where there's extra ambient noise I'll lose almost everything that's said if I don't. I didn't really pick up on the lipreading habit I guess until I was 12 or so, and that's when my comprehension went way up. Before that, even if it was quiet, most people's speech was just a jumbled mess of sounds. watching mouths is my biggest work around I think.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 4:02 pm

It depends. If lips are f.e. dry or teeth are yellow, or something else is interesting, I watch. I usually find interesting object and I look at it. It can be anything - lips, eyes, cheeks, shirt, shoes, hair... whatever.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 7:08 pm

I definitely watch the lips.

I am starting to appreciate more and more how, if I can't predict the context of the conversation, I am HORRIBLE on the phone. Even worse if both of us are on cell phones--I find myself having to use probing questions/statements to figure out what the hell the person just said (and thought they were perfectly understood) without letting on just how little I actually heard, until I get the context of the conversation and I can predict and respond appropriately.

Is this a normal thing for someone with only an ADHD diagnosis?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:09 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:

Is this a normal thing for someone with only an ADHD diagnosis?

I haven't seen anything about it in the ADHD literature I've read. :shrug: I learned about it with regards to APD and then learned that APD can be a part of autism.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:13 pm

Really? I'm surprised...my dad isn't as bad as I am with that (that or he covers it up REALLY well), but he has only ADHD that we know of and was taken to the doctor when he was little because his mother was afraid he was deaf. The doctor informed her, much to her chagrin, that he was just "ignoring" her. ;)

My mom says she doesn't believe I heard a full sentence when I was little, and she had to teach me to read in order for me to learn to speak. (I could repeat back things, but actually getting from a question to a statement, switching pronouns, and stuff, wasn't happening.)

I'd be interested to know more about this, though, because this is starting to cause me problems at work now that I'm in a job where I get a lot more very involved cell phone calls than I did before. Minor at this point, but I'd like to nip it in the bud somehow before it gets worse and it gets me in trouble or impacts someone else that I am supposed to be advising or listening to.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:17 pm

Wait, I did find an article addressing APD and ADHD... interesting....
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/731.html

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:38 pm

happymusic wrote:
Wait, I did find an article addressing APD and ADHD... interesting....
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/731.html

Add in my problems with being touched and certain textures, and I definitely seem to have a lot going on. But the phone thing is getting annoying and it's kind of renewed my desire to see someone to find out if I can get a clear diagnosis (or two or three?!), before I end up having a major screwup at work.

anjie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm

Like with the lip reading thing I first started doing that just a few years ago (had no idea why) but have noticed the last few months I went back to focusing on eyes again! Any ideas on that one. Maybe shifting stress levels? Or am I just an extra strange aspie?