Yes 91%  91%  [ 83 ]
No 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 91

MarijnR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2010, 9:39 am

One thing we do know, he is not crazy; his mother had him tested :P

Besides that, he is obviously somewhere on the spectrum. He was less so in the beginning when he seemed somewhat more socially able. My sister repeatedly stated that I'm exactly like him, except that I know when to keep my mouth shut. I can only agree with that observation.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:25 am

Is Morgan Freeman black?

Astron_Nomos1144
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2011, 3:15 am

I love Sheldon. I have been called a female Sheldon many times. This does not offend me, as he is the sane, reasonable one on that show. Leonard is pretty smart as well, but he's too emotional.

Another character that I absolutely love is Dr. Temperance Brennen - "Bones" - from the show Bones. These 2 are the only sitcom type shows I bother to watch.

YellowSpark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2012, 2:30 am

Definately an Aspi

either that or severely disturbed...

though in my opinion the two aren't mutually exclusive :lol:

unseenu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

This ten minute sequence shows off his AS qualities nicely,especially the line where he specifically says he has trouble recognising facial expressions and body language.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93cnncDzOuI[/youtube]

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

When people say that I'm like Sheldon I feel complimented and proud. Like calling me a geek or nerd which I also like.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm

Descartes wrote:
Totally. Sheldon Cooper screams "Aspie." :wink:

Yes I agree :wink:

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 8:30 am

How is it debatable?

"Parsons, who plays Sheldon, has read John Elder Robison's memoir Look Me in the Eye about his life with Asperger syndrome, and said that: "A majority of what I read in that book touched on aspects of Sheldon". He also stated that "the way [Sheldon's] brain works, it's so focused on the intellectual topics at hand that thinking he's autistic is an easy leap for people watching the show to make".[78]

Wiki-freaking-pedia

to his Interest."

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
How is it debatable?

"Parsons, who plays Sheldon, has read John Elder Robison's memoir Look Me in the Eye about his life with Asperger syndrome, and said that: "A majority of what I read in that book touched on aspects of Sheldon". He also stated that "the way [Sheldon's] brain works, it's so focused on the intellectual topics at hand that thinking he's autistic is an easy leap for people watching the show to make".[78]

Wiki-freaking-pedia

It is hard to not look at the Sheldon Cooper Character as a aspie he shows all the sign not to mention his struggle understanding sarcasam and humor.

I have both of those problems myself.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 1:28 pm

I've read that the actor says that although his character wasn't specifically written to be an aspie, he "couldn't have more symptoms" if he tried. I also think I've read somewhere that they debated mentioning AS in an episode or even having him diagnosed with it, or self diagnosed with it, but if they portrayed him as having AS then the others would be seen as mean when they bust on him for how he acts, rather than funny. They would be busting on him for a problem that he can't help rather than personality quirks.

If they did ever mention AS on the show, I think they would have to have Penny make a joke about the name "Aspergers". You know, the whole "ass burgers" thing.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 4:33 am

Definately..... Amy as well I think.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2012, 8:36 pm

Its almost scary how much I'm like Sheldon, I have many of the same habits and interests and "quirks" as the character. Everyone I know jokes that the creators of the series used me as an example to base Sheldon off of...

OliveOilMom wrote:
If they did ever mention AS on the show, I think they would have to have Penny make a joke about the name "Aspergers". You know, the whole "ass burgers" thing.

Ugh, I hate when people make that joke....

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

I'm curious when they came up with the show, the writers/ creators said "AS" When they came up with Sheldon.

Also if they told Parsons about AS when he auditioned for the character.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

brickmack wrote:
Its almost scary how much I'm like Sheldon, I have many of the same habits and interests and "quirks" as the character. Everyone I know jokes that the creators of the series used me as an example to base Sheldon off of...
OliveOilMom wrote:

As bad as it is to have something named that, imagine how bad it would be to have that name.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 7:01 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
brickmack wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

As bad as it is to have something named that, imagine how bad it would be to have that name.

In German, I doubt the name Asperger sounds like "ass burger" as it does in English. Then again, plenty of German Americans with that name probably had gone through a living hell while in school. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 7:03 pm

Sheldon: What exactly does that expression mean, 'friends with benefits?' Does he provide her with health insurance?

that sounds likea aspie statement making it clea in my opinon that the characcter is a aspie