down syndrome ( i know its not autism)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 12:18 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-P4t2jR1g[/youtube]

i :wink: f you knew you child with down syndrome can turn out like this, would you abort. i doubt it

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 12:26 pm

That's a great video, and I would never abort an unborn child, for any reason. Everybody who's conceived, should have the right to liberty, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness. :)

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:01 pm

If you find out early that your foetus has a serious genetic defect like Down's Syndrome, why not abort? I mean, it's not like it's a person yet. It's just a bundle of cells. Why would you want your child to have a drastically reduced lifespan, mental retardation, susceptability to heart disease and other physical defects? It's no good for anyone, least of all them.

If you find out when the foetus has been gestating for a while, then it becomes trickier. But I'm all in favour of genetic scans at the zygote stage.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 3:19 pm

Actually people with downs syndrome now have a life expectancy only a year or two below the average mainstream population.

The key to that is that they now have access to antibiotics and are screened for cleft heart conditions at an earlier age.

The main killer of downs syndrome now is that they have a significant risk of developing early onset dementia in their 40's

Also there are three differnt mutations that are categorised as downs syndrome. One of these versions of downs syndrome do not have any intellectual disability what so ever. These are the people with downs who are able to get driving licences and hold down relatively skilled jobs compared to their contemporary's

With access to antibiotics they can lead quite long and fullfilling lifes. Denied modern medicine they die of respiratory disease

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:07 pm

KaiG wrote:
If you find out early that your foetus has a serious genetic defect like Down's Syndrome, why not abort? I mean, it's not like it's a person yet. It's just a bundle of cells. Why would you want your child to have a drastically reduced lifespan, mental retardation, susceptability to heart disease and other physical defects? It's no good for anyone, least of all them.

If you find out when the foetus has been gestating for a while, then it becomes trickier. But I'm all in favour of genetic scans at the zygote stage.

would you abort your child for having autism :roll: S.A

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:08 pm

No, I would not abort it. I would probaly give it up for adoption.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:58 pm

Have you read The Memory Keeper's Daughter?
That's all I have to offer on the subject. I wouldn't abort it or offer the child for adoption, assuming I would ever be in that position.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 7:05 pm

book_noodles wrote:
Have you read The Memory Keeper's Daughter?
That's all I have to offer on the subject. I wouldn't abort it or offer the child for adoption, assuming I would ever be in that position.

yeah i seen it i love this movie
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq6q_j8QEVE[/youtube]

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
KaiG wrote:

Autism isn't a genetic condition that can be tested for in the womb (yet). The autistic spectrum has its positive sides as well, such as high intelligence and, say, mathematical potential, unlike Down's Syndrome, which is much more severe and debilitating. Down's is caused by a fundamental developmental misstep. Autism isn't so clear cut.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:27 pm

KaiG wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:
KaiG wrote:

Autism isn't a genetic condition that can be tested for in the womb (yet). The autistic spectrum has its positive sides as well, such as high intelligence and, say, mathematical potential, unlike Down's Syndrome, which is much more severe and debilitating. Down's is caused by a fundamental developmental misstep. Autism isn't so clear cut.

:roll:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:30 pm

KaiG wrote:

I think the OP of this thread finds it morally/intellectually wrong how people can play God and judge one disorder being inferior to another and worthy of death. I don't have an opinion so I don't want to get into this argument.

I personally find the video to be adorable.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:32 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
KaiG wrote:

I think the OP of this thread finds it morally/intellectually wrong how people can play God and judge one disorder being inferior to another and worthy of death. I don't have an opinion so I don't want to get into this argument.

I personally find the video to be adorable.

yup thats my point :wink: