Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

boostjunky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2010, 9:45 pm

what are some methods you guys use, to cope with panic attacks?

i get panic attacks when i'm around just about anyone; i feel like my senses are all on high alert. i get sweaty, awkward, shifty, throat gets tight.
i'd like to hear how some of you calm yourself down and keep your mind clear.
even if it helps just a little.

i've heard some people use caffeine...coffee, redbulls, etc. anybody else do that? i would think that would do the opposite. 8O

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:50 pm

i use to walk around with my music on to drain out the noses of other people and to block out any odd movements of ruddy teenager that cause me great discomfort. 8)

boostjunky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2010, 9:55 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
i use to walk around with my music on to drain out the noses of other people and to block out any odd movements of ruddy teenager that cause me great discomfort. 8)

i've tried that, i actually get more self concious when walking around with earphones on.
for some reason when i'm listening to my music people always have to bug me with one thing or another. i feel like people watch me even more.

basically, i'm just kind of uncomfortable doing that in public. :oops:

that must make no sense whatsoever. :roll:

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:01 pm

My main method to cope with too much noise is listening to my iPod. I do this all the time, anyways.
When I am at home and annoyed by something, I go to my room and read or play a game on my iPod.
However, when my iPod isn't available, I really have no coping mechanisms that aren't considered "stimming".

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:07 pm

I have my headphones, everywhere that I go, except for my job. I find that music helps me, to navigate the world, and It helps me to block out, loud and annoying voices, that teenagers and immature adults like to make. I also sleep with my air conditioner on, to block out the outside noise. I'm considering buying earplugs to wear at night, during the winter, next fall.

boostjunky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2010, 10:15 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
My main method to cope with too much noise is listening to my iPod. I do this all the time, anyways.
When I am at home and annoyed by something, I go to my room and read or play a game on my iPod.
However, when my iPod isn't available, I really have no coping mechanisms that aren't considered "stimming".

my type of job, is one that i am able to listen to an ipod for extended amounts of time if i chose to. i might give the ipod another shot, it seems to be a popular choice. listening to music in my car does my head a lot of good.

and, im looking for any coping methods at all you guys use, to help clear your head in public.
i dont care if it is considered stimming, i do a lot of that already anyway.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 3:13 am

boostjunky wrote:
i've heard some people use caffeine...coffee, redbulls, etc. anybody else do that? i would think that would do the opposite. 8O

Yes, caffeine and alertness drinks are not at all helpful, and may make things worse.

Progressive muscular relaxation (PMR), yoga and Mindfulness are all techniques that you can practice somewhere quiet, in your own time. They train the body not to respond so quickly, so when you get anxious it reduces the sweating, muscle tension, heart rate, throat lump, racing mind and other symptoms that lead to panic.

Mindfulness, if it works for you, is something you can practice also when anxious - it is about feeling the anxiety and allowing yourself to become aware of all the symptoms, and of all the things around you. If anxiety and panic are just an aspect of your character, then greater awareness should lead to greater control. It works a bit for me. Next time that you are moderately anxious, try looking around you and just feeling all the symptoms.

You could ask your doctor (or psychiatrist / psychologist if you have one) if there are any courses on anxiety management that you could attend.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 6:35 am

I've not had "panic attacks" frequently enough to develop much of a strategy, but I used to get bouts of "paranoid delusional thinking." In those cases, something bad would happen (or just socially negative) and my brain would race into high gear imagining tons of scenarios envisioning the worst case scenario. I would be moody and unable to focus on what needed to get done...usually resulting in my fears being realized. It was very debilitating. It normally went away with a good night's sleep where my brain would "reset," but for the rest of the day I was next to useless.

I learned to cope by recognizing I had this problem and FORCING myself to get rational. When one of these bouts happened, I'd force myself to stop, take a breath and concentrate on what FACTS supported the scenarios I was imagining in my head. I can't say it made the problem go away because I'd still be in a blue funk for the rest of the day, but I did manage to not become so focused on my paranoid fears. In time, this practice started reducing the frequency of the events because I realized that sometimes crap happens and people doing the kinds of things that would trigger these events were often just upset at the bad day they were having and not angry at me for anything I did.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:59 am

boostjunky wrote:
i dont care if it is considered stimming, i do a lot of that already anyway.

Well, I tend to hum 'incessantly' when I am stressed or overwhelmed (or just bored). It helps taking my mind off of whatever if stressing me out or overwhelming me. However, this is one of those things that isn't helpful for everyone, and it can also get annoying to people around you. Rocking back and forth also helps me, and so does flickering my fingers in front of my eyes/'defocusing' my vision/etc.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 10:26 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I've not had "panic attacks" frequently enough to develop much of a strategy, but I used to get bouts of "paranoid delusional thinking." In those cases, something bad would happen (or just socially negative) and my brain would race into high gear imagining tons of scenarios envisioning the worst case scenario. I would be moody and unable to focus on what needed to get done...usually resulting in my fears being realized. It was very debilitating. It normally went away with a good night's sleep where my brain would "reset," but for the rest of the day I was next to useless.

I learned to cope by recognizing I had this problem and FORCING myself to get rational. When one of these bouts happened, I'd force myself to stop, take a breath and concentrate on what FACTS supported the scenarios I was imagining in my head. I can't say it made the problem go away because I'd still be in a blue funk for the rest of the day, but I did manage to not become so focused on my paranoid fears. In time, this practice started reducing the frequency of the events because I realized that sometimes crap happens and people doing the kinds of things that would trigger these events were often just upset at the bad day they were having and not angry at me for anything I did.

OMG I do the exact same thing about all the worst case scenarios and I do get a clear mind after a nights sleep but sometimes the thoughts keep me awake before I can get to sleep.