Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gytu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2010, 9:21 pm

I'm not really sure if I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have not been diagnosed by a doctor, but I know from research and experience that I do have a problem. I come from a family where my mother has ADD and my father has Aperger's Syndrome. Like many of you, I often feel that I don't really fit in society. I can easily go from a group conversation to conversation , but I often have trouble settling down with a group of friends. I am always wandering about, seeing and learning things that a normal person wouldn't do. I have okay communications skills, but sometimes my attention seems to wander into dreamland as I'm talking or listening to someone.

Nowadays, I have tried speaking out in public or in groups. Sometimes, it works and I feel relieved but other times I feel trapped inside my very own mind. I know I have a serious social problem, but everytime I try to get rid of my problem, it shows up again. I am still battling this problem of mine so feel free to cheer me on!!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 9:48 pm

Do you have AS? Frankly, I have no idea; and neither does anybody here.

There are some things that point towards it: First, your dad has AS, and because AS is very strongly genetic, it's possible that he may have passed it to you. (The exact odds are unknown; but it's not at all rare.) Second, your feeling that you have a "serious social problem".

But what you're talking about isn't very specific. Your experiences could be those of someone who is simply introverted and forced into an extrovert's environment; they could be related to something like social anxiety disorder; they could be something like ADHD (you mentioned your problems involve attention wandering, so who knows?).

Since you say that you have a real problem, though, I think you should go and find yourself a shrink who can take a proper history, maybe talk to your parents to get your childhood history, and see whether you're AS or something else, and what might be done to help you learn how to interact more effectively.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2010, 9:53 pm

I agree it could be either

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 2:13 am

It's more than just issues socializing. Read up on the cognitive style, the sensory issues, the special interests. If it still sounds right, maybe consider diagnosis, although it's pretty worthless unless you're still in school or need accommodations for your job.

NOT A DOCTOR

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:39 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
It's more than just issues socializing. Read up on the cognitive style, the sensory issues, the special interests. If it still sounds right, maybe consider diagnosis, although it's pretty worthless unless you're still in school or need accommodations for your job.

There are other uses too, I was told in the past I just had traits of AS, or that if I had it, there was no need for me to be diagnosed because current dx was enough to bill insurance. They always told me however I had more than what I was diagnosed with, but would never say what.

But now, I am trying to get government social security and my shirnk is trying to add to my diagnosis (he has to get permission from the psychiatrist), but still making sure it's the correct diagnosis, so I can win my case more easily.

Also he's just now addressing my social issues more too. As a kid, I had lots of therapy in this area, but still need improvement, maybe if I get a diagnosis in the future I could get other things too and help with this.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020