Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2010, 6:44 pm

This is my first experience with homelessness. I'm living in a van. I have little to no work, some bills and van expenses coming up which will take the last of my money. I was just turned down for SSI. I have food stamps which are a lifesaver, although with no fridge and no stove I can't cook or store leftovers, so I'm reduced to buying prepared foods and eating anything refrigerated in the supermarket parking lot, and keeping the van stocked with sardines, peanut butter, cookies, crackers, and Gatorade.
The van is semi comfortable for sleeping, if I trust where I'm parked, which is sometimes. I have a few friends and relatives who will let me swing through for a shower and rarely an overnight stay but none of them are prepared to put me up for an extended period. Quite frankly, I have no wish to impose that on them anyway, but the rejection for state assistance is a big blow since I can't keep a job. I'm currently appealing that but it takes a long time.
Anxiety and depression have worsened noticeably since the change, although I'm still keeping it together for the most part.
Anyone with tips on successful homelessness?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 7:11 pm

dtoxic wrote:
This is my first experience with homelessness. I'm living in a van. I have little to no work, some bills and van expenses coming up which will take the last of my money. I was just turned down for SSI. I have food stamps which are a lifesaver, although with no fridge and no stove I can't cook or store leftovers, so I'm reduced to buying prepared foods and eating anything refrigerated in the supermarket parking lot, and keeping the van stocked with sardines, peanut butter, cookies, crackers, and Gatorade.
The van is semi comfortable for sleeping, if I trust where I'm parked, which is sometimes. I have a few friends and relatives who will let me swing through for a shower and rarely an overnight stay but none of them are prepared to put me up for an extended period. Quite frankly, I have no wish to impose that on them anyway, but the rejection for state assistance is a big blow since I can't keep a job. I'm currently appealing that but it takes a long time.
Anxiety and depression have worsened noticeably since the change, although I'm still keeping it together for the most part.
Anyone with tips on successful homelessness?

What area are you in? There may be some shelters with social workers who can help you out.

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2010, 7:49 pm

I was homeless at the age of 42; you have my prayers and good thoughts!! ! It is a very traumatic experience and I am offering myself as a sounding board if you want to/need to get crap off your mind.

Took the liberty of doing a search for homeless shelters in Boston; here's a website and some phone numbers:

http://pinestreetinn.org/

New England Shelter-Homeless
(617) 248-9400
17 Court St
Boston, MA 02108

Heading Home
99 Bishop Richard Allen Drive
Cambridge, Ma 02139

Also, get yourself a disability attorney if you don't have one already. Even with getting turned down, it's a good idea to find a lawyer who will work on contingency (wait to get paid) to appeal your case; and keep your paperwork!! ! The city and/or county bar association can help you find a lawyer.

Please let me know how you're doing, okay??

I wish you peace.

Betsy

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

I don't know if they will be able to offer you any help, but you could try getting in touch with the Lucy Parsons Center. It's an anarchist, collectively run bookstore that might be able to point you to some squats where you might be able to stay.

http://lucyparsons.org/

And I agree that you should appeal your SSI case. You could try contacting GBLS for legal assistance.

http://www.gbls.org/health/index.htm

I have no personal experience with either of these groups, as I live in NYC. Best wishes.

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2010, 8:14 pm

I'd like to also add this suggestion - there is a book titled "Breakfast at Sally's" which I think is fantastic in how the guy writes about his homelessness in Seattle.

It's positive without being sappy. The author, Richard LeMieux (not related to the hockey player) became homeless in his 60's due to depression.

Hopefully a Boston area library will have a copy.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 8:58 pm

I actually WORK in homeless recovery. I teach at a shelter in West Virgnia. It can be very difficult to take yourself to a shelter if you've never stayed in one before. First of all, let's face it, you are going to be treated like a helpless ignoramus no matter how educated you are or
how well-employed you have been in your life.

You will be sleeping in a group home environment, sharing a bedroom with one to five people (might be more in some shelters), and you will need to share almost everything. You will also have housekeeping to do and some shelters require you to leave during certain daytime hours. I could go on and on.... That is the bad news, but the good news is that a shelter will provide a free place to stay while the workers help you to find employment and permanent housing. They often provide many other sevices as well. Plus, you'll get clean clothes, showers, and better food than you have now. Also it is much safer.

Let me know if you need any assistance. I might even be able to make a phone call for you, even though we are in different states. Taken all in all, a shelter is MUCH better than a van, no matter what you've heard. Some sheltees are better than others, but that is the way with everything, And seriously, PM me if you would like and I will help in any way that I can.

Steve

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2010, 8:10 pm

Thanks all for the replies. Still getting by OK without trying shelters, and in Boston I have heard lousy things about them. I've found that Whole Foods takes food stamps. I can't get any of their hot food but the salad bar plus some extras is nutritious and tasty. Got a couple more days of work (once a week on average) that puts gas in the van, and a friend is letting me stay a few days a week in an art studio, no shower there but I'll take the futon and sink over a shelter. Still feels like "homeless lite" so far, I hope it stays that way.
Lot of people sleeping in doorways out here. I don't know if it's an epidemic that the news stations are choosing not to cover, but it seems like a lot of people are in my boat or worse out this way.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 9:08 am

I once lived in the back of my cap-covered pickup truck parked beside the end of a bridge in the Florida Keys for a while. You might look for a small water tank and paint it black and fasten it to the top of your van near the back and then use your back doors and a blanket as a make-shift "circus shower" in the afternoon on sunny days. Note: Wearing a pair of cutoff pants while showering will keep you from getting busted for indecent exposure.