MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:27 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
Woot! Fellow history nerd!

Ferdinand wrote:
Is that against the rules there?

I don't think so but I'm sure they wouldn't like the thought of me only going there to read rather than buy. It's a nice hang out for us book worms. You get your frozen frapuccino or whatever, browse around for a book that might peak your interest and sit on a nice comfy couch or chair and read away.

If you're like me and can't afford many of the refined luxuries that most of the ubber class enjoy, this is one you can afford. It's like a home away from home.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
If you're like me and can't afford many of the refined luxuries that most of the ubber class enjoy, this is one you can afford. It's like a home away from home.

I once read a whole book about Stalin in detention. Really interesting.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:30 pm

Ferdinand wrote:

I, like I said, love the quiet, peaceful and safe atmosphere of Borders. There is one really near me, so I can practically walk there. :D

The one near me tends to be filled with stay at home moms who come there with their kids so I don't even get the peace.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:04 pm

Celoneth wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

I, like I said, love the quiet, peaceful and safe atmosphere of Borders. There is one really near me, so I can practically walk there. :D

The one near me tends to be filled with stay at home moms who come there with their kids so I don't even get the peace.

The one I go to has the kids section on the second level. Everything I want is always on the first floor.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2010, 4:16 pm

I am not fortunate enough to live near a borders, although the nearest one (45 minutes by car) doesn't have screaming children all over. I have to rely on yard sales and the local library for books. I'm reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert currently, I just finished Dune, and I don't appear to own Dune Messiah. Unfortunately the library closes at 4:30 on Saturday, and is closed Sundays. :(

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 7:03 pm

Borders has free WiFi! Bring your Laptop or (WiFi capable) smartphone! I like books, but most of my reading is done on my netbook or Palm TX PDA.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 7:35 pm

We only have Fnac here which is French and they sell other things besides books. I go there because there are a science section, a science fiction section and also pocket books. Also there is a heavy metal section at the cd store. No other place is so organized. 8)

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

There's only one here that I know of, it's in the city about 5 shops away from a Dymocks bookstore. Borders charge about $5 more for every book than Dymocks, that's what I hate about them. They lose a lot of business since both stores are massive and stock the same sort of stuff.

They do have lots of books on different subjects though, the area by the counter is full of Twilight but that's about it. You can't really blame them for cashing in on the people who buy 10 copies of Twilight per person.