Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:10 am

It used to be that Borders was a bookstore I looked forward to going to. No more, as they have made 90% of the store a giant romance section for hormone crazed teenaged girls and desperate housewives alike who suffer from form of hysteria causing them to have convoluted fantasies about psychopathic men.

I have considered telling the management that when they stop populating their shelves with mind rot I shall return.

Until then I shall only make the occasional excursion in to flip through a book on sand which I am both too cheap, and too poor to buy.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 2:48 am

I don't shop at Borders much.
It isn't 90% romance novels like your Borders but I collect manga.
and Borders doesn't carry as much manga and it comes in later then it does at comic book stores.

and as for novels I can find them cheaper at other bookstores like Dymocks.
and as for Borders online I have been told that they are slow when it comes to shipping stuff to customers.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:31 am

I love Borders! I love the atmosphere, the colors, the smell, the quiet. It's aspie heaven.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:40 am

I'm not sure if we have a Borders where i live, but we have Barnes & Noble and i love that place :D

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2010, 4:05 am

I prefer the library, less people/lots of chairs and a sound proof room.

But if I was to buy books I'd go with amazon, but my aunt actually goes to Borders weekly and reads a whole book and then leaves.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:59 am

I prefer Hasting's for my book and DVD needs. Except if I'm after something difficult to find. Then I order from Amazon.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 5:26 am

What about margins? :oops:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 8:57 am

We have Powells Books and it covers the whole city block and it's five stories. We have a few other Powells Books around too. They sell used and new books.

I used to go to Hastings a lot but we don't have one in my area. I went to one in Missoula when I lived in Montana. I have also been to the one in Spokane and one in Kennewick.

I have always loved Borders when I first went to one in 2004 or 2005. We have one in downtown now. I like their sale prices and how they have the Borders rewards card. Plus they have music and DVDs there which I find more expensive.

I have enough books so I don't need to buy any.

enid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2010, 10:20 am

oh!! a bookshop!!

I was temporarily livid at anti border-collie vitriol.

ok...

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:25 am

I like Barnes and Noble.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 11:17 am

Chronos wrote:
mind rot

(commonly referred to as..books)
Jeez. What do you care what other people read as long as Borders still has the classics? As long as I know I can always find Flowers for Algernon and Reading in the Brain: The Science and Evolution of a Human Invention..I don't care what giant Twilight cardboard cutouts they have when I can just weave through the mess to get to the nonfiction section. It's just another pop culture craze. There's no need to be a snob about it. No one is forcing you to read those books, and you already said you can't buy what you wanted there anyway.
It's quiet, safe and very red, and I love being surrounded by books. The employees are nice to me (they don't ask me a ton of questions and I'm not treated like an alien) which NEVER happens in other retail stores.

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2010, 11:43 am

I am a huge fan of going to Barnes and Noble for any reason whatsoever.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:26 pm

I love all book stores, but there's only Borders and Barnes & Noble here. Where I go depends entirely on where I am at the time.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm

I don't like chain book stores - they never have books I want - used book stores are better but sometimes they have something awesome and other times just crap, so usually I stick to online.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:50 pm

Celoneth wrote:
I don't like chain book stores - they never have books I want - used book stores are better but sometimes they have something awesome and other times just crap, so usually I stick to online.

I, like I said, love the quiet, peaceful and safe atmosphere of Borders. There is one really near me, so I can practically walk there. :D

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:56 pm

I love Borders, they have all kinds of interesting books. I mostly go for the historical stuff.

Too bad I can't afford any of their pricey books but I can sure read them while I'm there @_@