Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:21 pm

So, my situation is this

-I have a slightly below average intellect.

-I have aspergers. However, I have learned to mimic NT behavior

-I want a decent job.

-I am willing to go to school

So, I was thinking maybe something in computer science would be good? I don't really think I have the intellect to handle engineering. I am also 23......so that plays a factor in my choice

I am quite good with working with stuff like simple math like shifting a function .

From looking at this forum, it appears computer/engineering are good options for aspergers? I guess that would depend on the person. However, I believe any skillset can be developed to an extent.

If anyone does work in computers/engineering......how many hours do you tend to work a week?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:39 pm

I am an engineer. I work 50 to 60 hours a week because my job is so much fun. My job and my special interest are the same thing. If you have a special interest, you should look for a job that touches it.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:41 pm

double post
double post

Last edited by Mudboy on 24 Jul 2010, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 1:45 pm

Mudboy wrote:
I am an engineer. I work 50 to 60 hours a week because my job is so much fun. My job and my special interest are the same thing. If you have a special interest, you should look for a job that touches it.

That sounds good on paper. However, bills are also vital to pay as well...

Right now, I make 12 dollars an hour......not a fun salary to live off of. I give the majority of it to mom and dad....but still

I don't think anyone is going to pay me 40k to sit on my butt and play video games all day. That's my special interest

So, I am looking for a stable job that pays about 40k-42kish

Computer Science/engineering seem like decent paying jobs where you can get away with having moderatly OK social skills.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:34 pm

Go for computer programming. You know what you like in video games, be a part of making them. Good money too.

flowerncsu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2010, 11:51 am

Just FYI, there is also a way into computer programming that doesn't involve going to school; it's harder work from one perspective, but doesn't involve the same kind of adhering to someone else's rules: volunteer some time working on open source projects. These projects are always short-staffed, and willing to accept help from anyone who will work hard at them. Keep track of your work (before-and-afters of the code) and you have a portfolio. (Since it's open-source, no one objects to you showing the code to a potential employer.)

Another benefit of computer programming for aspies is that it's possible to work freelance. This does take some networking to get projects, but you can work by yourself, without coworkers or bosses. (Be absolutely sure that the contract spells out exactly what the program will do at the end, and charge something for changes even if they're easy. Otherwise, you'll end up in all kinds of negotiations just to get fair compensation.) You also can outsource the networking part; offer someone $x plus y% if they make a sale for you. Just make sure the salesperson truly understands what you can and can't do, so they don't make a "sale" where the buyer is expecting the impossible.

And networking at things like your local "linux users group" or "java users group" or similar will be easier than normal networking; those groups tend to overlook social awkwardness because it's so common. They're far more interested in what you know about the subject matter.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 12:54 pm

flowerncsu wrote:
Just FYI, there is also a way into computer programming that doesn't involve going to school; it's harder work from one perspective, but doesn't involve the same kind of adhering to someone else's rules: volunteer some time working on open source projects. These projects are always short-staffed, and willing to accept help from anyone who will work hard at them. Keep track of your work (before-and-afters of the code) and you have a portfolio. (Since it's open-source, no one objects to you showing the code to a potential employer.)

Another benefit of computer programming for aspies is that it's possible to work freelance. This does take some networking to get projects, but you can work by yourself, without coworkers or bosses. (Be absolutely sure that the contract spells out exactly what the program will do at the end, and charge something for changes even if they're easy. Otherwise, you'll end up in all kinds of negotiations just to get fair compensation.) You also can outsource the networking part; offer someone $x plus y% if they make a sale for you. Just make sure the salesperson truly understands what you can and can't do, so they don't make a "sale" where the buyer is expecting the impossible.

And networking at things like your local "linux users group" or "java users group" or similar will be easier than normal networking; those groups tend to overlook social awkwardness because it's so common. They're far more interested in what you know about the subject matter.

Are there a lot of people who want into this field? Will I be competing against really smart people for the mid-level jobs?

That is my main concern as my intellect is a hair below average. I can grasp basic advanced math concepts EVENTUALLY....but it takes longer

t0
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:01 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
Are there a lot of people who want into this field? Will I be competing against really smart people for the mid-level jobs?

I would suspect that any field you look at will have people who want in who have been working at it since high school. If you're going to look at programming, I would seriously suggest some sort of formal education (university, trade school, whatever). I would also suggest finding open-source projects to work on to gain practical experience, but I think not going to school will severely limit the number of companies that will look at your resume.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:05 pm

t0 wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:

I would suspect that any field you look at will have people who want in who have been working at it since high school. If you're going to look at programming, I would seriously suggest some sort of formal education (university, trade school, whatever). I would also suggest finding open-source projects to work on to gain practical experience, but I think not going to school will severely limit the number of companies that will look at your resume.

Not true. For example, I work in a hospital

A lot of people decide to become Nurses later in life. Same with a lot of other mid-level hospital positions.

However, with some technical fields...Computer Science in paticular. You hear all these stories about the Computer Whiz who has been programming since he was 10.

So...

-How can someone who has NO programming experience compete with someone like that? I am just learning PYTHON as we speak. I just learned how to make functions with python.

-You also have to be able to update your knowledge base.........fast. How can someone who hasn't been writing code since age 10 do this???

Yes, you have to update your knowledge in other fields too. However, most don't require you to learn information at the rate of the world of Computers where a new programming language comes out every other day.

I feel these are reasonable concerns before I invest my money and time into going into a field.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:04 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
Not true. For example, I work in a hospital

A lot of people decide to become Nurses later in life. Same with a lot of other mid-level hospital positions.

Fair enough. But I suspect some of the doctors / nurses have wanted to be in that field since high school.

Quote:
How can someone who has NO programming experience compete with someone like that? I am just learning PYTHON as we speak. I just learned how to make functions with python.

It comes down to specializations. I'm the guy who was been writing code since I was 10, but I wouldn't apply for a job that required Python or Perl or probably even PHP. It's not that learning the language is a problem - any experienced programmer should be able to pick up a new language easily. It's the fact that I don't know what's already been done in those languages. I don't know what free libraries are available to help finish the tasks. The internet certainly makes it easier to keep up with this sort of thing - but programmers rarely have the time to write a project from scratch. They need to build upon what's already been done.