Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Olaf31
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2010, 5:13 am

I actually don't know if I have asperger's, but I thought I saw once that people with it have trouble remembering faces? Is this true?

I have trouble remembering faces the first time I meet someone. When I try to remember what they look like later, I picture the face of someone who looks similar. After I've seen them a lot I can remember though.

Does anything like that happen to anyone else?

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 5:32 am

This is my issue, REMEMBERING faces. I am not face blind. It's not like I can't tell the difference between people, that has to be INCREDIBLY rare. I really can't picture most people's faces in my mind unless I see them nearly every day, and I usually don't recognize people who recognize me if I've only met them once, possibly even 2 or 3 times.

On the other hand, I think I'm actually pretty good at remembering people who have distinctive features, everyone else just blends together for me.

CD84
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 6:24 am

I feel I have a good memory for faces and I can and have recognised people I have seen months, even years ago.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2010, 8:20 am

I have a much worse time remembering names than faces. I had a strange experience recently, however, where I was trying to remember the face of someone I'd met, and I couldn't remember what she looked like. It really bugged me, but then it sort of came back to me.

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2010, 10:22 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
This is my issue, REMEMBERING faces. I am not face blind. It's not like I can't tell the difference between people, that has to be INCREDIBLY rare. I really can't picture most people's faces in my mind unless I see them nearly every day, and I usually don't recognize people who recognize me if I've only met them once, possibly even 2 or 3 times.

On the other hand, I think I'm actually pretty good at remembering people who have distinctive features, everyone else just blends together for me.

:) I hate to break the news, but that is face blindness (probably.... you may also just not notice because your eyes are averted). Aspies generally have a milder form of it (there are infinite degrees of severity). I will only recognize people that I've seen multiple times (as in about a hundred), and I cannot recall any complete face at all unless I'm looking at the face in real life or in a picture. Right now I have no idea what my mother or my sister looks like, and as long as I've lived with face blindness, that is still amazing to me.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 6:23 pm

I experience face blindness as well. I will meet people around where I live and then when run into them shopping, I don't have any clue who the Hell they are. People actually will get upset with me because I don't know them. This happens all the time when I go home to Indiana, it's so embarassing, seems like everyone knows me but I don't know who they are. It stresses me out far too much because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:03 pm

I just recently had a problem with this. I went to the dentist, and he has about 3 hygienists working for him. They all look the same to me, so I get really mixed up. I don't like to look at faces that much whilst conversing. I blame my poor recognition on that..

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:35 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:

Same here. Doesn't mean that's true of all aspies. I'm not sure it's a problem with my perception either - I'm starting to think a lot of people just copy a style they see on TV and everyone ends up looking the same.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:48 pm

I remember faces, better than I remember names. That's the issue that I've always dealt with.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm

LancetChick wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:

:) I hate to break the news, but that is face blindness (probably.... you may also just not notice because your eyes are averted). Aspies generally have a milder form of it (there are infinite degrees of severity). I will only recognize people that I've seen multiple times (as in about a hundred), and I cannot recall any complete face at all unless I'm looking at the face in real life or in a picture. Right now I have no idea what my mother or my sister looks like, and as long as I've lived with face blindness, that is still amazing to me.

Well CRAP, that's one more point for potential AS.

I can't picture my mother right now either, or any of my friends. I didn't recognize my cousin when we ran into each other once so I just didn't say anything to him. That was a big WTF moment when Thanksgiving rolled around.

LOL.

But I CAN recognize some people very well. I recognize all the cashiers at grocery store and I don't see them all the time.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:48 am

My problem is not remembering which name goes to which face. Like I can remember faces and names, just not which goes with which.lolAlthough I think I am relatively good at recognizing people when they are related to my special interests. I can just about always recognize a picture of Marie Fyodorovna, Xenia Alexandrovna, Irina Alexandrovna, and Elena Vladimirovna. It never ceases to amaze me, how excited I get when I see a pic of any of my favorite peope in history. I'm like, 'Oh, look! It's Princess Irina/Grand Duchess Xenia/or whoever!! !'.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:01 pm

I'm a visual thinker rather than a linguistic thinker, so I tend to remember faces better

frag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm

I don't remember faces and I don't remember names. When people call me they tell me their name which is useless because I can hear who they are. They ought to do that when I meet them in real life instead! That would be a much better help! LOL!

I can only recognize people I see a lot in a crowd or a strange place. Else I'm lost.

The strange thing is I can't really imagine how a person looks but if I have a photo of them I can remember how they look in the picture... Also I took a test for face blindness and I wasn't face blind at all, but when you were supposed to recognize the people once more they used the same photos! I'm sure I would have done awful if they had used the same people and different photos.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:04 pm

frag wrote:
I don't remember faces and I don't remember names. When people call me they tell me their name which is useless because I can hear who they are. They ought to do that when I meet them in real life instead! That would be a much better help! LOL!

I can only recognize people I see a lot in a crowd or a strange place. Else I'm lost.

The strange thing is I can't really imagine how a person looks but if I have a photo of them I can remember how they look in the picture... Also I took a test for face blindness and I wasn't face blind at all, but when you were supposed to recognize the people once more they used the same photos! I'm sure I would have done awful if they had used the same people and different photos.

This is me! :oops: I think maybe I am confused by the way this term has been used somewhere. My bad, I need to research it better. I have never had a test for it.
-------------------------------------------------------------
But I have a bad time of recognizing people and I cannot recall what they look like in my mind unless I have seen them regularly over a long period of time.
When I was young, I don't remember having this problem. Infact, I would associate how X person's eye's looks like Z person's eye's and so on and so forth with their other facial features as well.
Weird huh!?! :chin: I wonder if it's because I don't have or take the time to stare at their faces like I did as a child or I am paying more attention to what they say now as an adult :?: :shrug:
I have lots of pictures of someone I have never met before IRL, from the time he was a baby through not too long ago I imagine.
I also have some of his mother and brother and it finally dawn on me they were related to him.
But yeah, looking at his pictures in the comfort of my home and away from other distractions, I know his face well and I would recognize him if I ever met him IRL. :)
Taupey :heart:

frag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

I was pretty good recognizing people as a child. I don't know if it was because I was really better at it or because there was a smaller circle of people around me that I saw on a constant basis. But I have a feeling I was really better at it.

Olaf31
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2010, 12:40 pm

Oh man, this is a really annoying problem. Meeting people when they're wearing sunglasses is annoying. When people I pass look at me I don't know if they're just being friendly, if I forgot who they are, or if I met them when I was too... thirst-quenched... to remember. On my way to class I passed a girl who I think I may have kissed but GEEZ her face itself didn't look that familiar, but come to think of it she had a lot of similar features.

BAH I am always too afraid to be the first to say "HI" (this is kind of unrelated).

Also, when I don't remember a face, my BRAIN just picks the face of someone I know who looks similar. Weird/annoying.