Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

insincere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2010, 2:06 am

Close to about 2 years ago I realized what an effect your body language can have on your environment . I have read some self help books and have a decent understanding of pyhysical gesturing and such, I've learnt to try and not become a victim if social posturing most importantly (this is a very hard for me to do and I feel that sooner or later I say something detrimental to myslef so it makes interaction with people that I don't know well difficult). What supprized me the most these last two years is the effect it has on animals because they mostly respond in a very respectful way. I have had other peoples cats run to me to find cover during a thunder storm and other peoples undisciplined dogs walk right on my heels as if I had trained them. That being said it seems like my size gets challenged more often, I had some farm kittens and birds get right in front of where I am moving to see if they can get a reaction out of me to avoid them. Naturally I have seen similar behavior from people at parties and bars trying to challenge my social value. In the throes of passion there have been gestures made to denigrade me as if I was her little brother, etc.

It all seems too consistent to be a co-incidence, and it makes me think that in its most primative state, creation, sexuality, and social interaction is just all colossal pissing contest to see who the biggest, badest dude is. Everything at infancy has the illusion of dominance over their environment, and as soon as they can, they go outside and start experimenting to see if they are right. For animals it means who can be eaten, mated, fought, and respected, and for people it is the same exept for the eaten part.

I believe that your environment ultimatley defines you, you cannot dominate nature because you cannot know the future. That such a large part of this world is controlled by such a flawed principle that most people never grow out of is baffling to me.

Last edited by insincere on 30 Jul 2010, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 4:40 am

It kind of makes sense to me, if I'm understanding you correctly. We are very technologically advanced but the parts of our brains that motivate a lot of behavior are very primitive.

I always wondered about the cat running in front of you thing. I've had cats do that a lot but my current cat never does.

hans66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2010, 6:14 am

I was thinking about this too. Dogs are sometimes afraid of me, but I don't know why. Possibly my walking speed is slightly higher tan usual. Depending I whether I am just wandering or have a clear destination for my walk, my walking speed is 4 km/h (2,5 MPH) or 6, maybe 7 km/h (3,7 or 4,3 MPH).

I try to figure how my appearance is. Maybe friendly, because children sometimes try to make eye-contact to me. People often walk to me, when they don't know the way to something and often ask me, even when initially someone else is closer to them, than I am, then they still walk towards me, and ask me how to get to a certain place.

Sometimes a dog is staring at me, although I thought that dogs generally don't like eye-contact. If a dog does this, it is generally a quiet dog that is sitting or standing and is observing the environment.

Last edited by hans66 on 29 Jul 2010, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:19 am

Once when my son was smaller I took him to the park. While he was playing I was sitting cross legged on the grass. A little girl about 2 years old I had never seen before calmly walked up and sat in my lap. :D

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 8:12 am

insincere wrote:
I believe your environment ultimately defines you ...

Would a rock sitting at the top of a mountain have ultimately become much different if it had been sitting at the bottom of an ocean?

insincere wrote:
... you cannot dominate nature because you cannot know the future.

We are the dominant species on earth, and we can both effect and affect our futures within the laws of nature.

insincere wrote:
That such a large part of this world is controlled by such a flawed principle that most people never grow out of is baffling to me.

Yes, some people do seem to believe we either are or can at least become sovereign over all.

insincere

29 Jul 2010, 6:19 pm

leejosepho wrote:
insincere wrote:
I believe your environment ultimately defines you ...

Would a rock sitting at the top of a mountain have ultimately become much different if it had been sitting at the bottom of an ocean?

insincere wrote:
... you cannot dominate nature because you cannot know the future.

We are the dominant species on earth, and we can both effect and affect our futures within the laws of nature.

insincere wrote:
That such a large part of this world is controlled by such a flawed principle that most people never grow out of is baffling to me.

Yes, some people do seem to believe we either are or can at least become sovereign over all.

First, yes a rock on a mountain will fare different than rock in the ocean because rocks are destroyed on mountains and created in oceans in a process called lithification. Ironic comment because the sediments from mountains and land are what prrovide the material for ocean rock.

Second and third, who is to say that because ants are more prolific than people that they are the dominant earth species, or plancton for that matter. It is the same arrogance that we believe we are the dominant species on the planet as the arrogance that lets us believe we are in control of the future. Anyone that claims to know the future is a guesser, I believe Kurt Vonnegut said that and then went on to list some poor guessers in Hitler and Bill Clinton. People want to believe in guessers because it gives an illusion of control when in fact there is little you can predict. Even the "laws" of physics are merely theories that have a strong tendancy to repeat themselves under scrutiny