Do your parents not support your major?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:55 am

I agree with WP members I should do college and learning Psychology for myself and not my parents but IMO this was where the emotional issues/depression/upset started even back in college 5 years ago. Oh I learned about Freud (Mom: Who?!) Oh he did dream interpretation (Mom: I don't give a damn about that s**t!) Me: Oh. (So I refrained from discussing my day with her) It got to where Oh I'm going to stay and chat with the psychology teacher and mom can pick me up later!

Also Oh wow I learned X in Psychology Mom: Oh we already knew that. UH! My teacher knows 1,000,000x's more than me yet she doesn't rub it in my face! I found this field (and still do) vast and interesting. Mom says I was to obsessive/interested but I know this is an Aspie thing now. Also my parents have this view of the clinical side talking about peoples problems I want to skip straight over that and jump into learning research and WHY we behave the way we do not diagnose you with Asperger's *insert disorder* :-) So as the topic title says do your parents support your major? and if no how do you cope? (I've gotten stronger in the past 5 years and thanks to WP and Conundrum I understand I have to do this FOR ME not them! Also I remember 5 years ago reading a article of "Why I became a Psychologist" One person's response "My parents didn't think I could." That rings with me to this day. :-) (Sorry for the long post) :-)

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:24 am

if by 'Major' you mean 'Subject you do best in', I dont know my mums opinions on Drama

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:01 am

Do you want a career that's totally related to psychology, or are you just majoring in it out of pure interest? Are you in grad school or do you plan on going to grad school? There aren't many jobs you can get that have psychology ingrained into them with just a B.A. or B.S. in psychology. Maybe that's why she [might not be] totally for your major. By the way, your mom might not be interested in what you talk about but that doesn't mean she doesn't support you and your endeavors.

Anyways, my mom doesn't really care what my major is. She supports my -hopeful- career choice and my major doesn't really make a difference. One time I told her I wanted to be a professional clown and she supported me. So she's pretty cool and at least tries to act interested when I tell her things from my lectures.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:45 am

I know you have to do grqaduate school. I already have that planned,and I agree perhaps the job issue might be her concern. I'm highly interested in research though. Hopefully college goes well for me.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm

My parents never, ever supported any of my interests. In fact, when ever I showed interest in a career, my mother would throw in the fact that I would have to do math in that career, and when I was younger I had almost panic attacks at the thought of having to do math. Even now when I expressed my interest in Anthropology she threw the "you would have to do math in that career". After I explained to her what Anthropology is...

In short, I never got much support from home. However I have a friend that really supports me and all my interests, not just Anthropology, but especially my animations.

What I've learned in life is this. Do what makes you happy. If psychology research is your interest, do it. And if your teacher/teachers support you in this, then listen to them.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I agree with WP members I should do college and learning Psychology for myself and not my parents but IMO this was where the emotional issues/depression/upset started even back in college 5 years ago. Oh I learned about Freud (Mom: Who?!) Oh he did dream interpretation (Mom: I don't give a damn about that sh**!) Me: Oh. (So I refrained from discussing my day with her) It got to where Oh I'm going to stay and chat with the psychology teacher and mom can pick me up later!

Also Oh wow I learned X in Psychology Mom: Oh we already knew that. UH! My teacher knows 1,000,000x's more than me yet she doesn't rub it in my face! I found this field (and still do) vast and interesting. Mom says I was to obsessive/interested but I know this is an Aspie thing now. Also my parents have this view of the clinical side talking about peoples problems I want to skip straight over that and jump into learning research and WHY we behave the way we do not diagnose you with Asperger's *insert disorder* :-) So as the topic title says do your parents support your major? and if no how do you cope? (I've gotten stronger in the past 5 years and thanks to WP and Conundrum I understand I have to do this FOR ME not them! Also I remember 5 years ago reading a article of "Why I became a Psychologist" One person's response "My parents didn't think I could." That rings with me to this day. :-) (Sorry for the long post) :-)

I think I've told you this before ...at some point....but I also have an obsessive interest in psychology ...biological psych......and my mom has told me several times that I shouldn't have chosen it as a major and that I am too obsessed. She is SOOOOO sick of hearing me talk about psych and she makes that clear. I just do it anyways ...carry on with my obsession ...and talk about it incessantly much to my mother's dismay..... (in true aspie style).

The only difference is my mom never said that I couldn't be a psych major... (I remember your mom forbidding you to do it at some point). I think this was very unfair of her. I hope you do go into psychology...... eventually..... and do some important research...despite what anyone might have to say about it. Good luck to you.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:35 am

I haven't picked a major yet, but my parents are supportive of the things I've explored as possibilities. They would be wary if I were majoring in something like women's studies or romantic literature or something like that.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 2:52 am

When I was doing my undergrad, my parents didn't have much say on what they thought I should study - they were more interested in seeing me graduate :lol: They did encourage me to take social work in the beginning but I left after two years for a BA and I'd chopped and changed my majors so much that towards the end of my undergrad, it was more just a matter of getting the piece of paper in anything.

Ironic that I'm back trying to finish my social work degree, over ten years after I started :roll:

That being said, some parents can be apprehensive about certain majors because of various reasons, such as the perceived lack of jobs involved in the field of study, time required to get qualifications, etc. I find doing your research about the possible pathways that a major can take you can really alleviate pressure off yourself and calm your parents about the prospects of your desired major.

Also, the more you're interested in a subject, the more likely it is you'll do well in it, so if your passion is in psychology - then go for it! It's a very interesting field.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!