Autism Talk TV - Ep. 6 - Steve Silberman - Pt 1

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:49 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
lau wrote:
It is less than a year since Autism Speaks chose to release the I am Autism video. It's still there, touting for donations. I wasn't even aware (until just now) that it was plagiarised from this article by Marty Murphy.

The current PSA snippet at http://www.youtube.com/user/AutismSpeaksVids ends up by saying:
Autism Speaks wrote:
... Autism is getting closer to home. Today, 1 in 110 children is diagnosed with autism. That's a 600% increase in the last 20 years. Learn the signs at Autism Speaks dot org.
That's their scaremongering propaganda from one month ago. In what way have they changed their tune?

Wow... that video was kind of misleading.

If that video is used to represent the entire autistic population its no wonder their are so many issues with stereotyping and parents giving up on their kids... I don't even want to think about the # of instances I've been hearing of parents killing their autistic kids & sometimes themselves. :(

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:57 pm

To be frank, to the point of crass (apologies, but no easier way to state the fact here) - Autism Speaks based upon Mommy Alison Singer is a train wreck waiting to happen. Alison Singer "Mommy Reinvented" is woefully ignorant.

Her sole qualifiction: She's a mommy. This means she knows how to lay on her back and spread her legs. Whilst this might impress Mr. Singer, it doesn't impress me much......That's not worthy even to list on any given resume. So, no wonder Autism Speaks didn't work out.

Ahem, did the modest Lab Pet say that aloud? Indeed. I'm a scientist, Alison. If Autism Speaks grows up, and one hopes they are getting there, they'll not need Mommy Alison any longer.

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

There sure is a lot of controversy about Alex accepting underwriting support from Autism Speaks. I know many of you probably think they are calling the shots or somehow influencing what Alex and my son put together, but they are not. Alex and Jack do their own stories their own way.

When I joined the Autism Speaks board earlier this year I made the point that they should be working with other groups, and this affiliation with Alex is one such example. Many of you have been quick to criticize Autism Speaks for not having autistic people working for them . . . I held out Alex and Jack for video production, and you criticize them them for taking up the offer. Well, Jack and Alex are on the spectrum, and they are going to help Autism Speaks with video production. That's the kind of inclusion you asked for, and I think it deserves support, not ridicule.

I agree that Autism Speaks has put out material and espoused positions that are offensive to many on the spectrum. I was troubled by much of that stuff myself. The question is . . . what does one do about it? Most of you here complain and say you want nothing to do with them. But what does that accomplish? With or without you, they will raise money and spend it as they see fit. They will also market and fund raise as they choose. I felt I could make a greater contribution by joining the organization and working to change the ways they present themselves and autism, and to promote research that benefits people on the spectrum today. I believe I am succeeding at that goal; I guess time will tell.

Meanwhile, why don't you consider giving them a chance, and see where it leads.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 8:22 pm

johnrobison wrote:
There sure is a lot of controversy about Alex accepting underwriting support from Autism Speaks. I know many of you probably think they are calling the shots or somehow influencing what Alex and my son put together, but they are not. Alex and Jack do their own stories their own way.

When I joined the Autism Speaks board earlier this year I made the point that they should be working with other groups, and this affiliation with Alex is one such example. Many of you have been quick to criticize Autism Speaks for not having autistic people working for them . . . I held out Alex and Jack for video production, and you criticize them them for taking up the offer. Well, Jack and Alex are on the spectrum, and they are going to help Autism Speaks with video production. That's the kind of inclusion you asked for, and I think it deserves support, not ridicule.

I agree that Autism Speaks has put out material and espoused positions that are offensive to many on the spectrum. I was troubled by much of that stuff myself. The question is . . . what does one do about it? Most of you here complain and say you want nothing to do with them. But what does that accomplish? With or without you, they will raise money and spend it as they see fit. They will also market and fund raise as they choose. I felt I could make a greater contribution by joining the organization and working to change the ways they present themselves and autism, and to promote research that benefits people on the spectrum today. I believe I am succeeding at that goal; I guess time will tell.

I agree with what your saying, but maybe I can make my personal point with a short story. Let's say you have a confidant (like a therapist, relative, friend etc.) you relied on for support and advice for a period of time and than this person goes behind your back talking about you and than tries to get you to do something (put in any over the top thing you want ranging from using drugs, sexual stuff, or trying to force you to speak in public when you have extreme glossophobia, etc.) they know you would never willingly do. They asked you this knowing full well they were breaking your confidence because you confided in them but chose to try and force the issue anyway. You tell them no, they accept and apologize and you forgive them. Even though you forgive them and try giving them a second chance, you can no longer trust them.

This is how I think of autism speaks, they were supposed to represent autism (took us under their wing; 1st bolded section), than betrayed the autistic population's trust (that can understand the situation) (goes behind your back; section #2). We told them our opinion (bold #3) & you + Alex took the initiative to join them in a way (forgave them #4). At least I (and possibly many others) because of what they did b4, can no longer trust them (#5 bold). The common phrase I hear; forgive and forget sounds completely stupid & naive to me b/c forgetting makes you vulnerable. I'd go with forgive but be watchful.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:17 am

lau wrote:

The current PSA snippet at http://www.youtube.com/user/AutismSpeaksVids ends up by saying:
Autism Speaks wrote:
... Autism is getting closer to home. Today, 1 in 110 children is diagnosed with autism. That's a 600% increase in the last 20 years. Learn the signs at Autism Speaks dot org.
That's their scaremongering propaganda from one month ago. In what way have they changed their tune?

Sorry, but I ran out of time, yesterday, to elaborate on the above bit of flim-flam from Autism Speaks.

"Autism is getting closer to home." - Since when has it been away?

"600% increase ..." - Where does this statistic come from? You don't quote figures like this as percentages. A "10% increase" means a figure that is now a little larger than before. A "600% increase" should mean "seven times as large". However most people will not hear the "%", and just think it is meaning "600 times as much". I know I did. A little misdirection goes a long way.

"... in the last 20 years" - An interesting choice. As Autism Speaks is based in the USA, the ten-year-old DSM-III would be the diagnostic reference at that time (1990). At this point, "infantile autism" would be the single autism diagnosis available, with an appropriate set of six characteristics, all of which had to be present. I presume those criteria were unchanged, even though the name for the diagnosis was amended to "autism disorder" in 1987.

"Learn the signs at Autism Speaks dot org." - I'm afraid I don't consider them a good reference - and indeed, neither do they. At http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/learnsigns.php (where we have solely a description of some possible signs for babies - parents being the only target audience for Autism Speaks) I found myself redirected to http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.html - which I also would think were probably a more reliable source.

And there I go again... running out of time... and I must rush off to work.

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2010, 7:34 am

The 600% thing may be misleading, but it's still real. Is some of it caused by more inclusive standards in the new DSM? Sure. Is some caused by much greater public awareness? Sure. Is some caused by increases in certain kinds of autism . . . probably. There have not been any studies to clarify this point because there is no data on the prevalence of certain kinds of autism in years past - there's only data on the whole spectrum. It's very hard to explain the reason for the increase and no one has figured out a way to determine if certain conditions like childhood disintegrative disorder are increasing, or just more visible. The same can be said for Asperger's.

The Silberman article talks about pockets of autism in hi-tech areas where geek parents are drawn. But is there more autism in total, or did they simply gather the autistic people from a broad area in one place, much the same way that a science fiction convention gathers Asperger people for a short while?

That said, there is still this vast increase in diagnoses. And no matter how you feel about how that came to be, those people still need services. So what are we gonna do? One of the commenters on another thread here said "many of us live on disability." Well, I am 53, and when I was growing up, there was NO DISABILITY for people like me (or like many of you, for that matter.) That is one obvious result of this diagnostic explosion.

But that is not the point of my post . . .

Autism Speaks is a big organization with a loud voice. If you don't like what they say, go inside. Give them reasoned presentations of what they might do different; give them a chance to change. That's what I am trying to do. What would you say instead?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

johnrobison wrote:

I think what it comes down to, at least in part, is that Alex never talked to the community here about it. "His" community. If he took the time to explain his thinking to the members here, they might disagree, but they would at least have the information. It all gets worse when one fails to give the information and allows everyone's imaginations to fill it in instead.

As I posted before, I remain skeptical of the organization, but am glad they are taking a few steps that show they are, at least, listening. We HAVE to work from that organization from the inside, because it is NOT going away; that is evident. I wish you success in having a positive influence from your position with the organization, and am sure you will encounter frustrations, as well; but it is a start, and I am really thankful that you are taking the time to converse with our membership and explain what is going on. A little communication tends to go a long way.

Again, thank you for taking the time.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:37 pm

johnrobison wrote:
Autism Speaks is a big organization with a loud voice. If you don't like what they say, go inside. Give them reasoned presentations of what they might do different; give them a chance to change. That's what I am trying to do. What would you say instead?

I'm only going to speak for me, but I think you are doing something smart - I'm old enough and effective enough to know how things work. Someone had to, and at this point it's actually pretty brave of you to take that risk. I hope you will be able to make a real, long term difference. Something more than a few videos.

None of which means there isn't still a place for skeptics to question the organization, or for different activists to take different tacks. Sometimes, an issue needs it all; a variety. Everything here is still in evolution, and the process isn't naturally a smooth one.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 08 Aug 2010, 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:40 pm

Regarding what LabPet wrote about Alison Singer I have something to say.

I am aware that if you are the spouse of or parent of someone with a condition then it is possible that you will become educated in it far more than the average member of the public. Same applied to medical staff, some nurses might learn a heck of a lot about a condition, which they treat on a regular basis.

But the big but is that "association with people with condition X does not mean that the person will be guaranteed to learn about the condition". The worst cases are people who have worked or lived closely with people with a condition, then drawn conclusions which they then refuse to allow to be tested. I hold the view that it is OK to create a hypothesis using inductive reasoning. But then the hypothesis must be tested in some way.

I recall meeting a woman who claimed that the wifes of drunkards get breast cancer as a result of their husbands drinking. This instantly struck me as an odd idea, but I guess that in the 1940s if you suggested that X-raying a woman's lower torso might harm her unborn child then many people would think you had an odd idea. How odd the idea is not important, what is important is "will the hypothesis resist an attempt to show that it is false".

I asked this self-appointed cancer expert why she held her view and she spouted some psychobabble. I then asked her how did she know if it was true, I pointed out that women with sober husbands sometimes get breast cancer. I also pointed out that her idea was very different to the accepted ideas in biology and medicine as to how cancer is induced, so I asked for her view on the mechanism by which drunken husbands are carcinogenic. She then retreated behind the screen of "I have worked with women with breast cancer so as a result I know what causes the disease". I think that this is a very poor system of thought.

I think that some parents of children with autism play the same silly card of "because I have a child with XXXXX I must be an expert on the subject".

This is silly in the same way as a man could work with something all his life and not have any idea of some of the aspects of it. For example a man on a building site could hammer copper rods into the ground all day long and still not understand that the rods are to be used for electrical earth connections. All the man might know is to drill and hole and then use a hammer to whack the rod into the ground.

If the nurse had a theory that working with radium, dog ownership, too much sex, bras, drinking milk or staring at the moon for too long caused the cancer and was willing to test the hypothesis in some way then I would have some more respect for her and her ideas. (My best first suggestion would be to compare two populations of women (such as dog owners vs. non dog owners)

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:51 pm

I must admit, Labpet, that the one sentence made my jaw drop ... it sounded so NOT like you to me.

Just goes to prove people are full of surprises ;)

Long run, I tend to think that is a good thing. Keeps life from getting boring.

Still, if I didn't know you I would have considered that crude and not scientific and edited it out ...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:14 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I must admit, Labpet, that the one sentence made my jaw drop ... it sounded so NOT like you to me.

Just goes to prove people are full of surprises ;)

Long run, I tend to think that is a good thing. Keeps life from getting boring.

Still, if I didn't know you I would have considered that crude and not scientific and edited it out ...

Concur it's provocative but we're all adults here (sort-of). I have the utmost respect for those whose lives are touched by Autism. When I heard/watched Mrs. Singer tell the public she wanted to kill her little Autistic girl I felt sickened - to drive her off the Washington bridge because she's Autistic is frightening. No. Then, I recall the writings of Hans Asperger and all Sister Viktorine did to protect our kind from the Nazis. What would Dr. Asperger think?

I am all right with giving Autism Speaks a chance and, to their credit, they have progressed. Mrs. Singer is not the right choice and they can do so much better. I very much liked Alex and Jack's interview as it's both informative and fun. I agree too with the gist of johnrobison's post in this matter.

Last edited by LabPet on 08 Aug 2010, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2010, 4:22 pm

Just so you know, LabPet, Alison Singer is no longer part of Autism Speaks

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:28 pm

johnrobison wrote:
Just so you know, LabPet, Alison Singer is no longer part of Autism Speaks

Thank you and that's good news.

< Maintaing my demure demeanor >

quasi PM: Mr. Robison, I love your book! My friend gave it to me some time ago and I read the whole book in one day. Excellent!

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2010, 4:41 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
johnrobison wrote:

Why don't you consider giving them a chance, and see where it leads.

I think what it comes down to, at least in part, is that Alex never talked to the community here about it. "His" community. If he took the time to explain his thinking to the members here, they might disagree, but they would at least have the information. It all gets worse when one fails to give the information and allows everyone's imaginations to fill it in instead.

As I posted before, I remain skeptical of the organization, but am glad they are taking a few steps that show they are, at least, listening. We HAVE to work from that organization from the inside, because it is NOT going away; that is evident. I wish you success in having a positive influence from your position with the organization, and am sure you will encounter frustrations, as well; but it is a start, and I am really thankful that you are taking the time to converse with our membership and explain what is going on. A little communication tends to go a long way.

Again, thank you for taking the time.

Neither Alex or I imagined there would be as much discussion as there is about Autism Speaks coming on as an underwriter for the TV project. We need money to cover production expenses, and they seemed like a logical sponsor. I also articulated my other reasons for working with them and trying to influence their course a bit more to the favor of autistic people.

There's a real strong perception that they are some evil force but that's just not true. Whatever you may think from what you read, I see the key people in person and I find a lot of common ground. Enough that I want to work together, not fight. Alex and my son see the same thing, and frankly, I think that comes across in their interviews with Peter Bell and Geri Dawson.

We've made friends with Peter's son Tyler, who is 17 with significantly greater verbal challenges than either me, Alex, or Cubby, and that's given us an understanding of why parents with more disabled kids may feel very different from us. We should allow both points of view in our community because there is a wide range of affect. The "victim mindset" is a non-starter for me, but I have to accept that some people, for whatever reason, cannot outgrow that world view. Luckily, I do not see that in the Autism Speaks staff I work with, or the scientists I serve with on the boards.

Please be assured that Alex, Cubby, and I are not subverted or bought in any way. Let's see where cooperation leads us.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 2:49 am

Please tell us why Alison Singer has gone. If you do not want to say it in a public manner then feel free to PM me. I would so love to know why that person has gone.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2010, 6:01 am

Woodpecker wrote:
Please tell us why Alison Singer has gone. If you do not want to say it in a public manner then feel free to PM me. I would so love to know why that person has gone.

I's sorry but I don't have any personal knowledge of Alison Singer and Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks reached out to me this spring. This May I met Alison at the IMFAR conference. She was with the Autism Science Foundation