Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

The divorce rate in America is over 50%. The institution of marriage as it exists in America today is a farce.
I think all secular (read government sanctioned) marriage should be replaced by the civil union and open to any two consenting adults.

Since the fundies want to make a fuss about marriage as this super-sacred thing, I think we should give the babies their bottle.
I think marriage should be a sacred contract between a man and a woman and breakable only by death or by proof of some sort of truly heinous abuse.

Further, I think any man and woman engaged in a marriage must be compelled to live together until such time as the marriage is dissolved by the conditions stated above. Also, I think any violation of the sacred marriage contract, such as adultery, should be punishable by a lengthy prison sentence.

Do that and I bet you won’t see many fundies bitchin’… or getting married. :roll:

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:58 pm

cyberscan wrote:
I understand peoples' arguments here completely. You all who are for this judge' overriding of the peoples' will will find out that this is only a small step.

When the will of the people is in violation of the Constitution, what prevails? The whole point of rule of law is that no person, and no group of people (not even a majority) is above the law.

Quote:
If a judge can violate the constitution as well as override the will of the people, what makes you think that it won't be done when a gay couple complains about a church not performing a same sex "wedding."

What provision of the constitution has the court violated? It is entirely within the jurisdiction of the court to exercise judicial review of any decision of the electorate or the legislature and determine whether that decision is consistent with the constitution.

Given that no divorced Roman Catholic has successfull sued for the right to be remarried by the Church, your argument is alarmist, and of no probative value.

Quote:
As cannon and common law is concerned, name one example of a gay couple getting "married" 40 years ago. Marriage requires a bride and a groom. Who is the bride, and who is the groom? What this judge did is redefine marriage itself. I just wonder who made him god.

Law is a dynamic thing. A couple of centuries ago a woman was a chattel of her husband. Does that me that all women must be chattels of their husband's today? Of course not. If the law is constrained from any innovation, then black children would still be in separate schools in Alabama, today.

Quote:
All law in a free society is based upon morals. It is against the law to murder because it is immoral to do so. It is against the law to steal because it is immoral to do so. Most of the voters say that marriage is between a man and a woman. This too, is based upon a moral argument.

I disagree. Because morality is a personal thing, there can never be one standard of morality, and hence there cannot be one standard of law. But the law must be consistent for all citizens within a jurisdiction. I may think that it is morally correct to withhold that portion of my taxes that supports my Government's military intervention in Afghanistan, but that moral view has no weight at law. On the other hand, I think that same-sex marriage is perfectly moral when celebrated between two consenting adults. So whose moral view is superior.

The simple answer is, of course, that the superiority of moral views is irrelevant, because the law is amoral. The law exists to provide a framework for civilized behaviour. There are certainly offences that are malum in se but that is not the jurisprudential basis for their criminalization.

Quote:
Now, if gay couples wanted a civil union or partnership which had the same legal benefits as marriage, then the people may very well have voted in favor of it.

That's irrelevant. It's not the question that was put, and it was not the subject of the litigation.

Quote:
Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. business owners will be forced to grant same sex couples the same insurance benefits as married couples despite their moral and religious objections to doing so. This infringes upon their religious freedoms.

Is a muslim in secular business free to refuse to hire a woman because of his religious views? If your religious views do not permit you to do business the way that the law requires you do to business, you are free to refrain from doing business. If you hire people, you obey the law. If you give your employees employment benefits, you obey the law. Religious views are a not a free pass outside of their proper sphere.

Quote:
The voters of California decided that the several thousand year definition of marriage was the correct one and voted to make sure that that definition would be upheld. The vote was deemed constitutional by courts as well as election officials before it even made it to the ballot. One biased government official took it upon himself to override the entire vote and process and say f*** you to the people of California.

More accurately, the voters of California decided to say f*** you to the Constitution of the United States, and the Court has told them that they are not free to do so.

Quote:
What is next? Incestuous marriage? Multiple partner marriages? Euthanasia? When Communists decide to take over a government, one of the biggest tasks involved in doing so is to overthrow the traditional nuclear family. The easiest way to do that is to redefine the basic building block of the nuclear family, and that is based upon marriage.

Again with the alarmism. The issue here is monogamous, same sex marriage. If someone brings an action to legitimate one of these other issues, then the Court will deal with it at that time.

Quote:
The next step may be the changing of the definition of man, woman, or child. If a judge can presume to change the definition of marriage, then he or she can change the definitions of any other concept in spite of the wishes of the people or the thousands of years of precedent. The people know what marriage is, they know what a man, woman, or child is, and they have even went as far as telling the state government and court what marriage is. Now, a single judge is dictating to the people that marriage is not what it is.

Definitions at law do change. The definition of man and woman has already been changed in the last 60 years because of new insights into sexual dimorphism in humans, and the availability of sex reassignment surgery. The definition of a child has changed. When parents divorce and remarry, the relationship of the child to its step-parents is not one that was conceived in the legal definition of a child even 100 years ago (let alone thousands).

The law must speak in the present tense.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:45 pm

visagrunt wrote:
cyberscan wrote:
I understand peoples' arguments here completely. You all who are for this judge' overriding of the peoples' will will find out that this is only a small step.

When the will of the people is in violation of the Constitution, what prevails? The whole point of rule of law is that no person, and no group of people (not even a majority) is above the law.

Quote:
If a judge can violate the constitution as well as override the will of the people, what makes you think that it won't be done when a gay couple complains about a church not performing a same sex "wedding."

What provision of the constitution has the court violated? It is entirely within the jurisdiction of the court to exercise judicial review of any decision of the electorate or the legislature and determine whether that decision is consistent with the constitution.

Given that no divorced Roman Catholic has successfull sued for the right to be remarried by the Church, your argument is alarmist, and of no probative value.

Quote:
As cannon and common law is concerned, name one example of a gay couple getting "married" 40 years ago. Marriage requires a bride and a groom. Who is the bride, and who is the groom? What this judge did is redefine marriage itself. I just wonder who made him god.

Law is a dynamic thing. A couple of centuries ago a woman was a chattel of her husband. Does that me that all women must be chattels of their husband's today? Of course not. If the law is constrained from any innovation, then black children would still be in separate schools in Alabama, today.

Quote:
All law in a free society is based upon morals. It is against the law to murder because it is immoral to do so. It is against the law to steal because it is immoral to do so. Most of the voters say that marriage is between a man and a woman. This too, is based upon a moral argument.

I disagree. Because morality is a personal thing, there can never be one standard of morality, and hence there cannot be one standard of law. But the law must be consistent for all citizens within a jurisdiction. I may think that it is morally correct to withhold that portion of my taxes that supports my Government's military intervention in Afghanistan, but that moral view has no weight at law. On the other hand, I think that same-sex marriage is perfectly moral when celebrated between two consenting adults. So whose moral view is superior.

The simple answer is, of course, that the superiority of moral views is irrelevant, because the law is amoral. The law exists to provide a framework for civilized behaviour. There are certainly offences that are malum in se but that is not the jurisprudential basis for their criminalization.

Quote:
Now, if gay couples wanted a civil union or partnership which had the same legal benefits as marriage, then the people may very well have voted in favor of it.

That's irrelevant. It's not the question that was put, and it was not the subject of the litigation.

Quote:
Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. business owners will be forced to grant same sex couples the same insurance benefits as married couples despite their moral and religious objections to doing so. This infringes upon their religious freedoms.

Is a muslim in secular business free to refuse to hire a woman because of his religious views? If your religious views do not permit you to do business the way that the law requires you do to business, you are free to refrain from doing business. If you hire people, you obey the law. If you give your employees employment benefits, you obey the law. Religious views are a not a free pass outside of their proper sphere.

Quote:
The voters of California decided that the several thousand year definition of marriage was the correct one and voted to make sure that that definition would be upheld. The vote was deemed constitutional by courts as well as election officials before it even made it to the ballot. One biased government official took it upon himself to override the entire vote and process and say f*** you to the people of California.

More accurately, the voters of California decided to say f*** you to the Constitution of the United States, and the Court has told them that they are not free to do so.

Quote:
What is next? Incestuous marriage? Multiple partner marriages? Euthanasia? When Communists decide to take over a government, one of the biggest tasks involved in doing so is to overthrow the traditional nuclear family. The easiest way to do that is to redefine the basic building block of the nuclear family, and that is based upon marriage.

Again with the alarmism. The issue here is monogamous, same sex marriage. If someone brings an action to legitimate one of these other issues, then the Court will deal with it at that time.

Quote:
The next step may be the changing of the definition of man, woman, or child. If a judge can presume to change the definition of marriage, then he or she can change the definitions of any other concept in spite of the wishes of the people or the thousands of years of precedent. The people know what marriage is, they know what a man, woman, or child is, and they have even went as far as telling the state government and court what marriage is. Now, a single judge is dictating to the people that marriage is not what it is.

Definitions at law do change. The definition of man and woman has already been changed in the last 60 years because of new insights into sexual dimorphism in humans, and the availability of sex reassignment surgery. The definition of a child has changed. When parents divorce and remarry, the relationship of the child to its step-parents is not one that was conceived in the legal definition of a child even 100 years ago (let alone thousands).

The law must speak in the present tense.

Quote:

They are free to discriminate against autistic people. Businesses are free to NOT hire someone because they are autistic. However, the constitution prohibits GOVERNMENT from refusing to hire women. Speaking even with today's interpretation of the constitution, there is SPECIFIC protections put in place for women as well different races.
There is no specific protections within the constitution dealing with how people decide to conduct their sex lives.

Quote:
What is unconstitutional in this decision is the fact that despite being ruled as constitutional AND being put to the vote in accordance with the constitution, a biased judge decided to rule against both the people and the courts.

What provision of the constitution has the court violated? It is entirely within the jurisdiction of the court to exercise judicial review of any decision of the electorate or the legislature and determine whether that decision is consistent with the constitution. There is no legal basis whatsoever for this judge to decide to redefine marriage. Marriage falls under state jurisdiction or the jurisdiction of the people. In this case BOTH decided to keep the same definition of marriage that has has been for thousands of years. The fourteenth amendment makes no mention of one's sexual preference if you are going to try the equal protection card. Gays have always have had the right to marry just as any heterosexual.

Quote:

Yes, and the court will allow all of these too even against vote of the people. Government's role is to protect society, but increasingly, many have taken it upon themselves to destroy society.

Quote:

You wonder why the divorce rate is so high? At work here is the use of government to destroy the very basis of free society. Once this is done, then NONE of us will be able to enjoy rights, including gays. If one can change the very meaning of things at the whim of some judge, group of legislators, voters, or other bureaucrats, then we have little hope of retaining freedom. Don't like autistic people? Change the meaning of human to a definition that includes something that autistic people are not known to be capable of doing. Autistic people lose the exercise of human rights.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2010, 10:12 am

Anyways...

Hooray for Prop 8 being struck down!

8)

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III