Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 11:19 am

I just seen the Toni braxton autism speaks commercial and the end they don't say 1 out of 150.
they said 110. why are the number suddenly changing.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 11:21 am

1 in 110 kids have autism.

0 in 6,000,000,000 people care.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 11:24 am

^ :lol:

Just 109 more out of those 110 before we reach world domination. :twisted:

joealjim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 11:28 am

Ferdinand wrote:
1 in 110 kids have autism.

0 in 6,000,000,000 people care.

^This^

:)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 12:44 pm

Does this mean that less than 1% of the population has diagnosed autism? I'm not good with numbers.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 1:22 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Does this mean that less than 1% of the population has diagnosed autism? I'm not good with numbers.

I think that it's 4 percent.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:00 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
I just seen the Toni braxton autism speaks commercial and the end they don't say 1 out of 150.
they said 110. why are the number suddenly changing.

---

That number of 1 out of 110 may be based on a recent (within the last five years or so) USA study about autism.

At the same time, autism numbers vary widely. It depends on which study of many studies a person looks at.

ADHD numbers vary widely also.

It's almost like ADHD recently was the flavor of the month/the neurological challenge of the year and now it's autism which is the new flavor of the month/the new neurological challenge of the year.

In the past, some educational departments were rewarded with money when a certain amount of children were diagnosed with a certain condition because that neurological challenge had been targeted as an area of interest and qualified for grant money/easy money whatever.

In some cases, the high numbers of estimated cases would result in larger educational department budgets so it was a way to get money flowing into certain education departments quickly. If an educational department had to fudge on actual numbers (aka fib about them/lie about them), it was done to raise money automatically (aka cook the books).

It's not that unusual to look at five different studies about numbers of persons with autism or ADHD and come up with five different estimated numbers.

The number of those with ADHD has been estimated to be 10/100 children to about 2/100 children.

That's like saying the average child weighs 80 pounds or 400 pounds and the experts aren't sure about it at all since it is such a complicated question - figuring out exactly what a child weighs.

It says something about how numbers are calculated and how they are presented to the pubic by experts.

Most persons would lean toward the average child weight as being closer to 80 pounds vs 400 pounds but there may be economic/political forces which might wish to push higher figures (the Obama White House stated health mission to cure all USA child obesity ~ in twenty years). By emphasizing the problem (using exaggeration) - all USA children weigh 400 pounds - it's easier to get the money to reduce weight in children flowing from Washington, D.C. into federal and state weight-reduction centers.

Words

Accurate numbers
Inaccurate numbers

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:31 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Yes, 1 out of 100 is 1%. We are almost there.
We are at 0.909%

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

buryuntime wrote:

More exactly, this mean that less than 1% of the population is estimated to have autism, diagnosed or undiagnosed.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:19 pm

pgd wrote:

At the same time, autism numbers vary widely. It depends on which study of many studies a person looks at.

All polls have a "margin of error".

Then, if we are studying a condition relatively rare (as is autism), even a small margin of error can produce great differences in the results (9.8% or 10.2% is almost the same thing; 0.6% or 1% is very different).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:24 pm

There's a new denomination, for the meat market. The meat off the bones of Autism Speaks staff persons, around the world. Maybe, on the other hand, I don't want the taste of Autism Speaks in my mouth, when I bite into a big, juicy steak from one of their bodies. :twisted:

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

Oh no, it's an epidemic :o By 2060, as many as 101% of newborn babies will be born with autism. We must do all we can to stop this worrying trend now, in order to have a safer, happier, homogeneous tomorrow.