Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 9:40 am

I've noticed in my life that I have these serious mental blocks (certain fixations) that prevent me from enjoying life and make me come out as almost arrogant and prejudice. These mental blocks also make me very judgmental about people. For instance, I obsess over things at points to where they become problematic. To sum it up nicely, my mind plays games on me all the time.

Once example is that I am too afraid to date a party-hearty girl, on the basis of me finding it repulsive. Thing is is that I'm not quite shy and I have a problem talking to shy girls.

So, what do I do?

P.S. I thought this was better posting it here than in the "Love and Dating" category, since it's more open ended.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 9:47 am

This is obsessive thinking, as you said. It's a core part of AS. If you feel you judge people more than you should you can try to process through your feelings and figure out why you do it but the obsessive thinking is very hard to control. You could try medication or supplements if you'd like to, exercise or Yoga could help as well.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 9:56 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
This is obsessive thinking, as you said. It's a core part of AS. If you feel you judge people more than you should you can try to process through your feelings and figure out why you do it but the obsessive thinking is very hard to control. You could try medication or supplements if you'd like to, exercise or Yoga could help as well.

Tried yoga-it helps, but isn't the answer, only part of it.
Exercise-I'm sure I need more of that. A LOT more.
Meds-I'm on medication, some I want to get off of for various reasons, but not at the moment.
Supplements-I'll bring up that one with my doctor. She might strongly agree on this one.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:14 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
If you ... judge people more than you should you can try to process through your feelings and figure out why you do it but the obsessive thinking is very hard to control.

Yes ... and so I now instead focus on control of my *actions*. We all judge people in all kinds of ways for all kinds of reasons, but our *actions* (including words) are the only things that actually affect ourselves and others.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:20 am

leejosepho wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:
If you ... judge people more than you should you can try to process through your feelings and figure out why you do it but the obsessive thinking is very hard to control.

Yes ... and so I now instead focus on control of my *actions*. We all judge people in all kinds of ways for all kinds of reasons, but our *actions* (including words) are the only things that actually affect ourselves and others.

True, I do need to stop judging people, even if it stays in my head.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:30 pm

I find myself doing the same thing, and it always involves something that someone's said, or done. I drop the vigillant act, eventually and forgive those people.