Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Future_Patriot
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2010, 9:54 am

For me, High School hasn't been horrible for me. I get along with all my teachers, I have a great case manager, I do fine with my fellow students. I'm going to be a sophomore this upcoming year. This marks the last year for special education for me. I'm probably going to enlist in the army national guard in my junior year.

How is everyone else doing in HS?

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2010, 10:57 am

I'm going to be a freshmen, I haven't had a special ed class since 5th grade, it was an obnoxious social skills class that did nothing for me. I'm thinking that this is going to be a fairly easy year, since people backed off on the bullying over the last 2 years, and my brother claims that there's hardly any work compared to 8th grade in your freshmen year. I also do pretty well with my fellow students, much better than I historically have.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2010, 11:03 am

Well, the educational system is a little different over here, but I'm also doing great at 'high school'! I'm very soon starting my third year at my school, and I have a feeling that this year will be greater than ever! :D I've got plenty of friends from school, both among fellow students and teachers, and it's a very friendly environment, so the only thing I can complain about is my own discipline in regards to assignments and the like! :mrgreen:

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:08 am

hey, everybody, keep on writing about your high school experiences -- I'm a Mom, and it really helps me to read positive stuff about high school (my son's going to be a freshman this year)!

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

I had an unusually close relationship with a teacher. Enough said.

Future_Patriot
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2010, 2:43 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
hey, everybody, keep on writing about your high school experiences -- I'm a Mom, and it really helps me to read positive stuff about high school (my son's going to be a freshman this year)!

I would say for an Aspie in HS the most frustrating thing is when you're told what you can and can't do. Don't let him think that he's limited to opportunities just because he has AS/Autism.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

I think my concern with my son is just getting him to take advantage of clubs, etc. He has had a fairly good time socially in middle school, and academically was great until last year when he hit a wall as far as loading on the work in 8th grade. nodice1996, I sure hope you're brother is right -- I've heard the same thing from our older daughter about 8th grade being tough compared to 9th grade, where it all calms down a bit as far as academic load.

We're lucky, in that the high school here is HUGE, and there are lots of difference types of kids to pick from, including kids on the spectrum that are friends with my son, as well as some super smart nerdy kids that are also friends with my son. If he can just find his niche group, and get involved in good clubs like German club or any kind of political club [that's where my daughter found the lion's share of her long-term friends who were nice and nerdy], I think high school could be good for my son. Hope it's GREAT for all of you guys!! !

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2010, 6:06 pm

I graduated from high school back in 2009. For the most part, high school went well. I got along well with most of the students and staff. The environment was very accepting and I made plenty of friends. I knew people from every social group that existed, including many of the cheerleaders. My grades were pretty good for the most part.

Future_Patriot
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2010, 12:54 am

schleppenheimer wrote:
I think my concern with my son is just getting him to take advantage of clubs, etc. He has had a fairly good time socially in middle school, and academically was great until last year when he hit a wall as far as loading on the work in 8th grade. nodice1996, I sure hope you're brother is right -- I've heard the same thing from our older daughter about 8th grade being tough compared to 9th grade, where it all calms down a bit as far as academic load.

We're lucky, in that the high school here is HUGE, and there are lots of difference types of kids to pick from, including kids on the spectrum that are friends with my son, as well as some super smart nerdy kids that are also friends with my son. If he can just find his niche group, and get involved in good clubs like German club or any kind of political club [that's where my daughter found the lion's share of her long-term friends who were nice and nerdy], I think high school could be good for my son. Hope it's GREAT for all of you guys!! !

I would say Clubs is an important and great thing to do in HS. I'm currently a member of DECA (a business and marketing club) and I've loved every minute of it. I've gone on trips and competed on a local and state level! Anyways, make sure he joins at least one club he enjoys. It will really help his self esteem. I know it has helped mine.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:34 am

I graduated from high school earlier this year, and it was okay for me. My freshman and sophomore years were the best, mainly because I was heavily involved with the publications department, and I made a lot of friends there. Not only that, but I went on really fun field trips while being involved with Publications. I became good friends with the publications teacher, and she knew about my Asperger's, and she's the one who recommended this website to me. At the end of my sophomore year (which was the best year of my high school career), she announced to me that she would not be teaching at the school the next year, because she was going back to university to complete her Master's. Things went downhill from there...

I remained involved with Publications the next two years, but it wasn't half as fun as my first two years involved, because the new teacher didn't take us on field trips. Also, the staffs weren't as close-knit as the ones from my underclassman years. My junior year of high school, overall, was pretty boring.

Then came my senior year, the year I'd been anticipating. I thought it was going to be such a wonderful year. In an ironic twist of fate, it turned out to be my worst year of high school. I was picked on by random students that year moreso than during my previous three years (there was an awful incident at the beginning of the year in the courtyard in which some fatass stole my milk). I remained involved with some clubs, but they just weren't as fun as they used to be. I felt so disconnected from the rest of the school that year, that I didn't go to the prom at the end of the year, something that I was anticipating for my entire high school career preceding it.

Overall, my high school experience wasn't terrible. There were parts of it that I loved and parts of it that I'd rather forget. I'm hoping for a better college experience.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:48 am

My experience of high school (secondary school) was really crap tbh, it was good at the beginning but I definitely wasn't very happy there due to complications I had there, the journey was WAY too far (and expensive) and some of the teachers and staff was pretty much a fraud in the end, I thought they liked me but from what I heard from behind, it wasn't like that plus being a black kid in the class probably what also made things complicated. But at the same time, I did enjoy it with good friends that I made which only half of them turned out to be my real friends in the end, the other half for some reason turned against me because of somebody manipulative just happened to turn things around for me so it explains my social awkwardness and my some of my frustrations in some of the cases (but I try to keep them inside which is not always the best of ideas).

The area my school was in happened to be known for racism in London so that obviously didn't help, even by my own race which did not make any sense and that actually got to the stage where I got scared of actually walking out my house in case he same thing was about to happen and I did have depression.

It's only when I moved to college, I actually got on with people better and actually got to actually know myself even better and made some genuine friends (which I'm still confused about), its pretty much a whole new beginning for me and being accepted for who I am was what made my experience better.

I was in a special ed school as I mentioned many times before and the work that was given to me would be far too easy for me to actually complete it and I always wanted a complete challenge but having to learn the same old thing over and over again just got so boring for me to the point where I just wanted to bunk off.

That's pretty much my experience I guess?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:51 am

It's called secondary school here, and I've just finished it! I was very lucky to not get bullied a lot like a lot of Aspies do, mainly because I helped people with their tech problems and stuff, so they left me alone. I was also lucky to have some good teachers in my last year.

Starting college next month though!

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 8:23 am

I really hate the way people act in my school. Sexting and talking about it, bullying, girls getting pregnant...

I like school otherwise. I'm friends with the few decent people. And most of the teachers are great, they "get" me.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:52 pm

Strictly high school speaking, for one thing, I'm glad to be done with it and moving on to college next year.

The first two years were bad for me. Prior to freshman year, I enjoyed gym class. Then for some reason bullying was brought into the picture just out of nowhere. Meh. Some drunkard junior was in a freshman gym class and felt the need to target me. Then a few people from my football team that didn't like me (un)-luckily ended up there. Added to it. The rest of the day was generally pretty crappy as well, excluded and such. My lunch table ostracized me for my beliefs. Sophomore year came, and wasn't as bad, practice (for athletics) were largely unsuccessful for me and still welcomed a few people that didn't like me. A few other things, as well.

After those two, however, things kind of seemed to get better. Bullying kind of left the scene (then again, in sports, the upper-class-men are usually more respected) and I found an interest with music. Senior year was pretty decent, I was involved in athletics, band and theater (both briefly), charity organizations, etc... while I didn't really stand out anywhere, nothing bad happened.

I'd say that in the last two years, while nothing bad happened, it still wasn't really much fun. Then again, that's school in general for me.