Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:20 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Janissy, you are missing the point. It's not about giving responders a blanket methodology with which to track all missing Autistic kids. The WHOLE PREMISE behind the Mason Alert is to give responders INDIVIDUALIZED personality traits of the child they are seeking, provided by the parents.

I think it would be better to amend Amber Alert to make it possible for parents to do that. I have no idea why it's currently impossible but whatever the reason is, it's beaurocratic not technical. I do not think that creating a whole new alert is a better solution than amending the existing one.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:20 pm

:roll: It never ceases to amaze me at how quickly negative responses are posted on WP. I've been here long enough to know that most of the users here are not really this negative.

Look. I agree there are some negatives to the idea as it is. However, there is SOME merit in the idea, if you look for it.

Instead of simply shooting the idea down as bad, why not look for whatever merit there is in it, and offer alternatives you think WOULD work. Is it NOT clear that in Mason's situation, whatever was in place, DIDN'T work?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:23 pm

Janissy wrote:
I think that rather than making a whole new code, Amber Alert should be ammended to include important information that first responders need and to have it apply to missing as well as abducted children.

The good thing about Amber Alert is that it involves the public. Limiting it to abductions makes no sense to me in any case because a child who has wandered away can be just as rescued buy an alert citizen as a child who has been abducted. I think that Amber Alert should apply to any child gone missing and that it should have crucial info for first responders included with the child's photo. I do not think a new code should be created because there are, as ZachL pointed out, a perilously large number of codes already.

I am quoting my own post. My shooting down of the Mason Alert included this idea about how to improve Amber Alert.

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

MrXxx wrote:
:roll: It never ceases to amaze me at how quickly negative responses are posted on WP. I've been here long enough to know that most of the users here are not really this negative.

People disagree with you. Get over it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:45 pm

Janissy wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I think that rather than making a whole new code, Amber Alert should be ammended to include important information that first responders need and to have it apply to missing as well as abducted children.

The good thing about Amber Alert is that it involves the public. Limiting it to abductions makes no sense to me in any case because a child who has wandered away can be just as rescued buy an alert citizen as a child who has been abducted. I think that Amber Alert should apply to any child gone missing and that it should have crucial info for first responders included with the child's photo. I do not think a new code should be created because there are, as ZachL pointed out, a perilously large number of codes already.

I am quoting my own post. My shooting down of the Mason Alert included this idea about how to improve Amber Alert.

Yes, I did see that. Sorry I forgot to mention it. My last post wasn't directed specifically at you, but the overall tendency for threads like this to receive mainly negative responses, at least at first. Usually, given time, more positive responses will follow.

I some ways, I am in agreement with the point of not creating a new alert, however, sometimes it is the push to create something as a "new and separate" idea, that eventually leads to awareness of deficiencies in the current system, and either new systems and protocols, or inclusion of new protocols in existing systems. "Let's change the Amber Alert," I highly doubt, will get the attention of "Lets create a new alert called the Mason Alert." A new alert may NOT be the best idea, but new ideas tend to get more public attention if they have some kind of easily recognizable label. I don't have a problem at all with taking the Mason Alert ideas and including them in existing protocols. This idea could just as easily (not that it would be easy, no), be included in the Amber Alert as "Mason protocols" or something like that.

Getting behind the petition isn't necessarily going to cause a new alert system to come into existence, but it will cause DIALOGUE. And that's what I think is most important right now. I do think SOMETHING needs to change.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:48 pm

ZachL wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

People disagree with you. Get over it.

And people also agree. And I disagree with you. Get over it. I don't have a problem with it. My point is that I'm USED to it. Where are your constructive thoughts? It doesn't matter to me whether you disagree. I'd like to know what you have to offer to the conversation other than, "It's a crap idea," which basically offers nothing constructive.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:54 pm

ZachL: The first line on the Amber Alert site:

"AMBER plans require law enforcement to confirm an abduction prior to issuing an alert."

I ask you again:

How does this help a child that is NOT suspected of being abducted?

If you can't even CREATE an Amber Alert until there is sufficient evidence to suspect an abduction, there IS NO ALERT into which to include specifics about the child.

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2010, 3:56 pm

MrXxx wrote:

"AMBER plans require law enforcement to confirm an abduction prior to issuing an alert."

I ask you again:

If you can't even CREATE an Amber Alert until there is sufficient evidence to suspect an abduction, there IS NO ALERT into which to include specifics about the child.

Then instead of creating a whole new alert modify the existing process. You will as you see here get a much better response.

You will also need to learn to not type in CAPITAL LETTERS to people when your upset when they disagree with your points when advocating for things. It does not help you get your way when you yell and throw a tempter tantrum.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 4:10 pm

ZachL wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

I ask you again:

Then instead of creating a whole new alert modify the existing process. You will as you see here get a much better response.

You will also need to learn to not type in CAPITAL LETTERS to people when your upset when they disagree with your points when advocating for things. It does not help you get your way when you yell and throw a tempter tantrum.

I'm not upset at all. I sometimes use capitals because it's just quicker than including the italics codes. I'm not a very fast typist. The shift key is just quicker. You might interpret is as a temper tantrum, but it isn't. Just asking you to think and offer some constructive criticism, which you have, and that is appreciated.

If you read all the responses I've made, you will see that I have agreed that modifying the Amber Alert may be the better way to go. I'm not the person behind the drive for a new alert. Mason's mother is. I don't even know her. I do think a new alert, as you have said, might be more confusing, but, as I stated above, I also think that starting the discussion about a new alert, and getting behind the thought, could lead to some of the suggestions made here, including yours, to eventually becoming implemented. Doing something is, IMHO, better than doing nothing.

I'm not asking for people to agree totally that a Mason Alert, as its own separate alert, is the best idea. I am only suggesting that getting behind it will open dialogues that will hopefully lead to change that will save lives. The purpose behind the petition is to get people talking about the need for change. That's how I look at it. Even if she manages to get the million signatures she would like, it doesn't mean a new alert will be created. It only means that somebody, somewhere, with the power to cause change is more likely to listen and bring it to more public forums.

Change from the status quo, which didn't work in Mason's case, is what I hope for. Change that will, hopefully save lives. It doesn't matter to me whether that happens by means of a new alert or changes to existing ones.

By the way, as for the "crap" comments. Bah! Yeah, I reacted to that without thinking. Already over it. Heck I've thrown my share of monkey poo! :lol: Thanks for the lively spar too. Keeps me on my toes! No offense taken or intended. :wink:

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 4:29 pm

I signed it right away! I think I'll post a link to the Mason alert signup sheet on my blog. I REALLY hope enough people sign it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 4:49 pm

By the way...

Signing the petition doesn't necessarily mean you have to totally agree with the concept "as is." You can add comments to your signature, and outline any alternatives you think might be better. It would give whoever ends up reading the list your thoughts, and understanding that you may have some caveats with the way it's currently presented.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

Something about this rubs me the wrong way. I'm worried about how that will be perceived, but all the same, the very concept of this tells me that abandoning the idea might be better than trying to fix it. It doesn't even make sense to me, because I can't put it into words or say anything that doesn't somehow boil down to "no, let's ignore it" but... my gut tells me this is a bad idea and that there should not be such an alert. Anyone care to figure out what I'm feeling here and put it into words? Because there's definitely some reason.

NOT A DOCTOR

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:23 pm

If you look at a new idea through preconceived ideas that there just got to be something wrong with it, you will get bad feelings and see bad things. This isn't a law that's going to go into effect if enough people sign the petition. The petition will do nothing more than open a public dialogue. What on earth is bad about that?

The petition is nothing more than a suggestion. You don't have to agree with every letter of it. Only that something ought to be at least discussed about it.

Her child DIED, possibly because of the lack of action of the authorities. He could have been SAVED if more had been known, and better more informed action had been taken. What more do you need to know to think discussing the problem might be a good idea?

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2010, 7:41 pm

MrXxx wrote:
If you look at a new idea through preconceived ideas that there just got to be something wrong with it, you will get bad feelings and see bad things. This isn't a law that's going to go into effect if enough people sign the petition. The petition will do nothing more than open a public dialogue. What on earth is bad about that?

The petition is nothing more than a suggestion. You don't have to agree with every letter of it. Only that something ought to be at least discussed about it.

Her child DIED, possibly because of the lack of action of the authorities. He could have been SAVED if more had been known, and better more informed action had been taken. What more do you need to know to think discussing the problem might be a good idea?

When you sign a petition it means you agree with it. I don't agree with it. Telling people to sign a petition they don't agree with is wrong, its misrepresentation and in some states is illegal.

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2010, 7:45 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
ZachL wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
ZachL, I find it hard to believe that if you read the story you would have reached that conclusion. Please read it. You might change your mind.

I read the story then came up with the conclusion.

You assuming that I didn't read the story just because I disagree with you is rather shallow.

the zach is mad because he didn't come up with this idea first and use it at his blog, zach, if you don't like it then ignore the thread, theres no reason to troll the OP

I think its a great idea, maybe it should be combined with the amber alert

Why should there be a separate alert for missing autistic children. it isn't going to work more efficiently than the amber alert, so its a pointless idea.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:38 pm

Sionis wrote:
Why should there be a separate alert for missing autistic children. it isn't going to work more efficiently than the amber alert, so its a pointless idea.

The petition site allows for comments to be attached to your signature. If you think it's a better I idea for the ideas in the Mason alert to be changed and/or merged into the Amber Alert, you can easily include that opinion in your comments.

You do NOT have to totally agree with the petition as worded. You can state whatever exceptions you want to in your comments.