When I try to say something, it always comes out backwards!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2010, 1:28 pm

Hasn't anyone with AS or autism found that sometimes, when you try and say something, it comes out backwards, wrong, or the complete opposite of what you meant to say?
EG-
I HATE vegetables... and when my friend's parent asked if I wanted carrots with my meal, I cried out "On!" I only meant to say no... but it came out as 'on'.
Also, when someone in a paper shop came up to me, held out a newspaper and said "Is this your newspaper?" I jumped practically a foot in the air and said "Sorry!" And I ran away...
Anything like that ever happened to someone else??

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 3:01 pm

When I talked, virtually all my speech came out wrong, to the point where even at my best, very little of my communication had anything to do with what I was thinking. Most of the time when it wasn't my best, the best I could get was it would have something tangentially to do with what I was thinking ("speaking in theme and feel" is what Donna Williams calls it) but wouldn't be recognizable to anyone looking at my speech and taking it literally.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2010, 3:03 pm

Oh absolutely. On, off, left, right, stop, go, etc., you should never trust me to use the right one. In addition to opposites, I also frequently use the wrong unit of measure. I ask for a "12 foot sub" instead of a "12 inch sub" all the time. :lol:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 3:07 pm

my brain and mouth arent connected as well as they should be

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

YyetsNepMotneet WarRripMorneetsnYippsnYippsnYippBaarRrpmMeenOWhark

Which played backwards, says:

Life should come with an effing script - I'm fine with a script, its talking and thinking at the same time I can't do.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

Yeah, quite a problem when talking my doctor. Usually it's misspoken things that sound ok in context, but can be completely opposite in meaning. And increasingly there's having jumbled pieces of scripts come out and sound like total nonsense. I think people think I'm brain damaged when that happens (I probably am, but not the way they think), but so far people have been decent to me when that happens.

Age is defintely not making me more verbally articulate, either. I.e. "it's like the thing... where... you know, it... like in that movie? you know..." Uggh.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:01 am

Frequently. My brain either gets the right words in the wrong order, or it forgets the verbal translation of a thought-concept, or it reaches for a word and gets one that is categorised similarly in either sound or meaning, or one that is frequently used with the word I'm actually after- for example, "sock" instead of "shoe", "count" instead of "can't", or taking 5 attempts to say "startup and shutdown" because it comes out as things like "shartup and stutdown" "startdown and shutup" "stoutup and shartdown".
My poor piano students have to deal with me saying the opposite hand of the one that I meant a lot of the time. Amazingly, they seem to know the different between saying "right hand" and meaning "right hand" and saying "left hand" and meaning "left hand".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 2:12 am

Sometimes. I have to remember to think about what I say before I say it, or I'll just pattern-match something appropriate into the conversation, and may not actually mean a word of it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2010, 2:19 am

I sometimes mix my words up so what I say has a completely different meaning then what I was thinking. Like once I meant to say "No it isn't." but I said "Yes it is.".