Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends=Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Meliev
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2010, 2:37 pm

Hey there people, just browsing 4chan one day minding my own business and what not when i come across this comic. I bet some of you have seen this already but I felt that I should still share this with some of you. Credit goes to "~Empty-Smile" from devianart this drawing is called "St. Foster's" and I do not have autism (I have aspenger), it just made me a bit sad for some reason, I don't know, would you mind telling me on what you think about this fanfic comic?

if you don't get it, uh, just see the second comment :)
Link- http://empty-smile.deviantart.com/art/S ... s-60513412

Last edited by Meliev on 20 Aug 2010, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 3:19 pm

that was good but frankie doesnt seem that autistic

Meliev
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2010, 3:26 pm

Leekduck wrote:

it's trying to show that the entire world where bloo and mac live in and even themselves are just her imagination and that none of them ever existed, Frankie just imagined them all and that none of all that ever existed, its "all" in her head

hope i made sense?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 3:47 pm

Leekduck wrote:

Well, not in her imaginary world!

That was touching. Who made this strip?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 3:51 pm

This is (word-for-word as I recall) the last scene from the final episode of the television show St Elsewhere. One of those stupid finales where the writers try to be clever and end the series by pretending none of the stuff the viewers have been watching for years ever really happened. Which is pointless, because of course, it didn't happen, it was damned television show.

Last edited by Willard on 20 Aug 2010, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meliev
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Leekduck wrote:

Well, not in her imaginary world!

That was touching. Who made this strip?

Ok, ok I found who made it, he/she is an artist on devianart, "St. Foster's by ~Empty-Smile"

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

As previously mentioned by Willard, it's a parody of the ending of St. Elsewhere, in which the entire series (and its spinoffs/crossover worlds) were heavily implied to have taken place entirely in the mind of an autistic boy named Tommy Westphall. The series and its spinoffs are now collectively known as the "Tommy Westphall Universe".

For the record, I'm not a fan of St. Elsewhere or any show like that, but I learned about it while doing research on representations of imaginary worlds and imaginary friends in popular culture.

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2010, 2:02 pm

Wow. I used to watch Foster's all the time a few years back, even though I know that it's a fan art and not an original ending, it still made me well up a bit...

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 2:21 pm

That's nice and all, but not realistic.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 2:36 pm

buryuntime wrote:

Why is that?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 2:43 pm

Xenu wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Why is that?

Autism has nothing to do with having an imaginary world in your head.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 2:45 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Xenu wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Why is that?

And you are saying you know what goes on in a SEVERELY Autistic persons head? We know many are very intelligent and have amazing imagination so how is this in any way unrealistic?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 3:09 pm

Xenu wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
Xenu wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Why is that?

And you are saying you know what goes on in a SEVERELY Autistic persons head? We know many are very intelligent and have amazing imagination so how is this in any way unrealistic?

I don't see why it'd be any different than what I think about when looking at an object or turning it repetitively-- which is largely, nothing. I pace for hours, and when I do this I only have the exact same thoughts over and over in my head. I would imagine a "severely autistic" person would require even more self-absorbtion than I, and I doubt their time would occupy a highly-social world like Foster's*.

*Granted, I've never watched Foster's. But it seems to include jokes and talking.

BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2010, 6:35 pm

I always think/believe that Goo is the one who's autistic in the show...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 4:46 am

buryuntime wrote:
Xenu wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
Xenu wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Why is that?

I don't see why it'd be any different than what I think about when looking at an object or turning it repetitively-- which is largely, nothing. I pace for hours, and when I do this I only have the exact same thoughts over and over in my head. I would imagine a "severely autistic" person would require even more self-absorbtion than I, and I doubt their time would occupy a highly-social world like Foster's*.

*Granted, I've never watched Foster's. But it seems to include jokes and talking.

Just because you don't have an imaginary world doesn't mean other autistic people can't. I've made (and replied to) a lot of topics about imagination over the past couple of years I've been a member here, and the responses vary wildly: some people don't even know what it's like to have an imagination, while other people are engrossed in worlds that are so detailed they could rival Tolkien's.

Personally, I've had an official diagnosis of Asperger's, and I've always had an imaginary world. I suppose you could call it a "highly social world", since it involves characters interacting with each other and having relationships. However, I should note that the interactions and relationships of the characters in question have always been very simple, because my own experiences with such things are limited.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:12 am

Willard wrote:
This is (word-for-word as I recall) the last scene from the final episode of the television show St Elsewhere. One of those stupid finales where the writers try to be clever and end the series by pretending none of the stuff the viewers have been watching for years ever really happened. Which is pointless, because of course, it didn't happen, it was damned television show.

And don't forget that entire season of Dallas that was all a dream.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!