Why do some people need to listen to music CONSTANTLY?!

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2017, 12:17 pm

Sorry for bumping the very old thread, but this is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I am one of those people who need to be hearing something most of the time, whether it is music or an audiobook or my computer talking to me. I know some people get all excited about so-called silence, but for me there is no such thing. There are always sounds going, but most people's brains tune them out. Not me. I can hear sounds like the lightbulbs buzzing or the refrigerator running or different sounds like that, and it is not in the background. My brain is picking it up and absorbing it. It sounds like a repetitive B-flat that plays over and over and does not change. Blech! It's the equivalent of a radio station playing the test of the emergency broadcast system for ten hours straight. No...just...no. The only time I enjoy so-called silence is if I'm out in nature, like at the state park where I play the piano. I like nature sounds, but I flipping loath other non-structured sounds. Also I really can't frigging stand riding in a car, particularly on a long trip, with no music, especially if I'm already overloaded. When I was younger it would bother me a lot more than it does now. I wish all these silence lovers, or John Kage fans as I call them, could hear the way I do.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:14 pm

I am so glad the major bus companies banned passengers from blaring their music (most often chav rubbish) from their phones. However, I too have extreme difficulty blocking out noise so I can't just enjoy music through my headphones. More often than not there's a screaming baby or some kids acting like jerks, climbing all over the seats, shouting, jumping around (on a MOVING VEHICLE!).

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 9:29 pm

I need total quiet. Whenever music plays anywhere, it distracts me. As you can imagine, that doesn't go over well because music is ubiquitous. It needs to be very quiet if I am to be able to concentrate. I never understood people's love for music. Why is it so popular? I would prefer it if music was never invented.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 11:52 pm

Constant music helps me to block out bad memories from the past, and especially memories of things that have happened as recent as the previous year. There are even some nights that I have music playing in the background while I'm sleeping. Tonight will probably be on of those nights.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

Constant music helps me think less and as ^ stated curve bad memories as well as increase my focus (Slow thoughts allow me focus on what I am doing better). I like it unbearably loud sometimes if I get bad memories and it kinda of shuts me down a little which at that point would be the goal.

Luckily I have pretty good speaker, they are old and moody but they work 8)

Lots of bass, very loud, neighbor annoyer 8)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 5:35 pm

I listen to music to get my sister out of my head. And I listen to music to change my mood.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2017, 3:46 pm

Often, I prefer to listen to music in the background.

As for why music is a frequent presence, it seems that music esp. that classic 1960s and 1970s Rock guitar music provides those rare experiences in this "complex day in age!" - that is music, that well........"strikes a chord!" (Yes, pun intended).

Zsinix
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2017, 4:05 pm

Simple answer, dopamine.

As long as you're listening to music you like, your brain is getting its little reward.

Now a better question is why do some of us not like listening to music all the time. Aside from the occasional need to hear something clearly, or in some of our particular cases, being bothered by noise in general, it stands to reason that we should all be addicted to whatever music that we find most favorable.

Now 'scuse me while I dance out to some Santa Hates You.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 4:30 pm

I legit would probably end up smacking someone in the face if I had no music.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

drown out other noise

I like the songs

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Caesar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 7:52 pm

I can relate, people at my college always have their music a little bit too loud and they play it through the speakers of the room.
Music usually helps people concentrate but it just has the opposite effect on me, I only enjoy music with myself and if I need some energy. I enjoy cycling with music on and every genre just gives me the energy to move faster (even relaxing genres like ambient, jazz and classic)

But I only like to listen to music myself with headphones on, I wouldn't enjoy my own music if it was blasting through speakers in a room with other people.

Other people also don't have the same taste in music as me, I do however get shy and never mention what music I like when people ask me and want to play my music.
I do however enjoy ambient film soundtrack score type music, it doesn't distract me from working but still has an epic effect on my mind.

Most of my teachers have the same top 40 music playlist that they always play as warming up music although my popping teacher has dope rap tracks and that has become my favourite dance class. The gospel/soul music from singing class is pretty rad as well.

I guess I just don't enjoy music the same way other people do and I just don't like top 40 pop music with singing and stuff played at a distracting loud volume through the room.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 4:56 am

I know how you feel. No music, talk radio, or TV show sounds good LOUD. I listen to music or talk radio when I feel like it, but keep the volume as low as possible. I also enjoy watching TV and movies, but I also like peace and quiet a lot. When eating I rarely play the radio, as that's part of my quiet time. I also don't often play music or talk radio when sleeping, unless I fall asleep before I can turn it off, but do usually tune the radio to static when going to sleep, to sort of muffle outside noises, as I have nearby neighbors. I don't have the static on too loud, as I don't like that to be loud, any more than any other kinds of sound. I always enjoy the quiet when settling down to sleep, and don't turn the static on until I am done settling into bed, so I can have that quiet time first.

I have encountered people over the years who can't stand silence. They must have constant sound, whether the radio, the TV, or people talking, they must have some kind of noise going on constantly. I feel sorry for them, but realize that they can be frustrating to be around, as sometimes I do want silence. I am glad I can handle both silence, and some noise, as long as it's not too loud.