Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How do you express emotions? (To people not super close to you)
I rarely express emotions because that is natural for me 33%  33%  [ 19 ]
I rarely express emotions because I feel I shouldn't express them 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
I rarely express certain emotions that I feel I shouldn't express 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
I don't censor myself, I express them in my own way 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
I express emotions in words well, but not showing much affect 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
I show emotions and I don't like it 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I show emotions and that is OK with me 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other... because you forgot a really important option! 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 57

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2010, 11:11 pm

katzefrau wrote:
no idea how to answer, really

^ This about sums it up for me.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 1:22 am

Expressing emotions is hard for me. Most of the time I'll be silent without an expression on my face. Sometimes I have a smile if I'm just kind of out of it or if I'm having a lot of fun. On the Internet it's really hard because I either cannot find the right words or I can't find a smiley that fits what I'm feeling.

Wily_Walleye
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2010, 1:39 am

I have lots of emotions but I am not good at identifyng which emotion I am feeling....I just know that they are not pleasent most of the time

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 5:01 am

I have no idea what I'm feeling a lot of the time, so I don't know how to express it. If I do understand what I'm feeling, unless it is very extreme, I still find it difficult to express. Exaggerating facial expressions, tone of voice, behaviour, etc. works for me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:07 am

I don't have any natural instinct to tell people my emotions, because I rarely understand them myself. I often have absolutely no idea what I'm feeling, my emotions are a big mess.

I'm often asked, "why didn't you tell me that then?" It's as if I'm expected to communicate certain things, but even if I had the instinct to naturally do so, I'd be simply unable to do it accurately. I'll take a guess if I have to, but that's the best I can do. Then, maybe, months later, while I'm lost in my thoughts, it'll suddenly come to me.

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2010, 5:21 am

if i do express any emotion, it either comes out very awkwardly, like, if someone said to me after i played them a flute song- "Wow, Em, you're really good at that", i would go into what i call 'panic mode' internally, and say stiltedly, "Uh, thank you very much.". or it comes out the exact opposite of what i mean to express. once, when i was happy, i just sat with an expression on my face appropriate when standing by the sickbed of a close friend. :roll:
im still practising. lol

ayla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2010, 7:58 am

I express emotions in my own way

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:02 am

I can't really answer because I don't really know. It depends too much on the circumstances, who I'm with, and my level of comfort.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 9:03 am

I can't express my feelings the way I really feel them. They always come out wrong and people think I am either crazy or overly dramatic. I've always used writing to say what I want to verbally. I can apparently write letters and emails and stories and poems very well. But in conversation I come off like an inarticulate idiot.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2010, 9:19 am

I think there's a difference between what you think you're doing and what others observe, too.
I dislike expressing any kind of emotion usually, so when I am expressing something, I think it's far too much or over-exaggerated. I've been told that to others, though, I'm hardly expressing anything at all. I always regret it when I have expressed some kind of emotion though, like I've exposed myself.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

I don't have a censor when it comes to my emotions, they're usually obvious so if I've been to someone's house my mum would often tell me afterwards that I was being rude by looking bored later on. Also when I'm angry I show my emotions very exaggerated.
Although when I'm really pleased about something it doesn't show, I get asked to be more enthusiastic even though inside I'm really excited or chuffed about something.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:33 pm

'I rarely express emotions because that is natural for me'

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

Emotions confuse me and usually I have trouble figuring out that I'm feeling something or what it is exactly. I am usually very calm and neutral, not feeling strongly about most things. I think of emotions in big exaggerated terms - subtle things are hard to detect - in myself as well as others. I have learned compassion, but it's largely an intellectual exercise that I work to make into a true feeling. Honestly, I think I have few feelings compared to others and I feel completely caught off guard if someone does some big emotional display in front of me.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2010, 1:45 am

I don't know.

I picked 'other' as I think the first I'm a half mixture of the first three in the list.

I say half mixture because I think I'm a mix of the second and third one while it seems (from what little I am actually told by my mother as she and I both have said at different times that other people wont tell me or any person such things normally.) it seems that people see me as the first one and I can understand why even though that is wrong but they naturally would not realize that as they can not read my mind. Nor can I read theirs. Both are unfortunate, though most of the time I don't mind others not being able to read my mind as I would not wish them to know my thoughts. Only when I need them to understand me better would such a thing be helpful. And I'm sure most people wouldn't want me to read their minds either.

.... to get back on topic ... I am very quiet by nature and I'm aware (as in I know this to be true even if I am not always aware of it all the time). I'm aware that my face and voice don't always express my emotions correctly. I've caught, unbeknownest to me, smiling after reading or thinking something funny or pleasant and asked why I was smiling (thanks to my brother my mom has been trained to be suspicious of her kids when any of us are smiling and she doesn't know why).

I often try to suppress emotions (and aside from the smiling thing it seems to work even when I don't try). I try to suppress emotions I feel inappropriate when around people I don't know well. And when upset I try to suppress my emotions around all people (save myself of course). If I am upset and have to leave the house and go outside for some reason I put more effort into getting to where I need to go and back again quickly. My mental mantra during such times is 'Ignore all other human life' until I calm down or get where I'm going (usually a familiar place where I can focus on why I'm there rather than being upset).

Sorry for the rambling. I type how I talk and my verbal skills outweigh my spelling skills. I did try to edit out the parts that were the least relevant to the topic.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2010, 11:26 am

Usually when something unexpected happens to me in a bad way, I try to restrain my tears. I don't know how, but no matter how hard I try, I start to let water run down my face, and I force myself to go into solitude so that no one will see me crying. It dosen't happen always, so thank goodness. Although my impatience to anything is something I have trouble with. I have a hard time waiting, and I'd go crazy if something dosn't come on time. :x

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2010, 12:23 pm

You missed the most important response: "I don't know". :oops: