Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:32 pm

pumibel wrote:
Erisad wrote:
pumibel wrote:
Some people just need to control portion sizes. A lot of times we eat way more than a single portion of something, and that is why we end up with too many calories at the end of the day. Only some people have to cut out certain foods, and that is due to allergies or digestive issues, like with wheat. You can have carbs, fats, veggies, meats- any of that if you keep all of your portions to the recommended sizes.

If you look up portion sizes there are good visual references to help you do this even when you are eating out. For example, a serving of chicken is the size of a deck of cards or most people's palm (adult size palm). A serving of rice will fill a standard muffin cup. A serving of cheese is the size of a pair of dice or your thumb (average adult thumb). Most of the time we eat way more of this.

Yeah a lot of people do lose weight by cutting out all of their carbs or all meat, etc, but if this deprives you of something you really like it will only be short term. You have to do something that you can maintain if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

Most of the time, I'm eating really small portions. It's just whenever I slip up that everything is ruined. D:

Hell, I just want to lose it. I've never got far enough to worry about keeping it off because I'm full of fail. If I wouldn't get huge headaches when I'm hungry, I would become anorexic because being bulimic is too messy. D:

Maybe you are waiting too long between meals? You have to try different things to see what is reasonable and what isn't . Once you do lose it, you will need to maintain it too, so you cant go back to the habits you had before. You do have a higher calorie target, though. If you slip up, just forgive yourself and go back to your plan- dont make a big deal of it or you will end up giving up in frustration. I may have missed this, but what type of physical activity are you doing?

My meal plan only gives me 12 meals a week. I eat breakfast in my room, then lunch and dinner whenever I have a break. I really have no choice but to wait. I mean, I've been fat for 11 years. The thinnest I was during that time was 143 pounds (I'm 5"3) and I was still fat. I'm now 100 pounds heavier and I hate it. >.<

Quote:
I do 20 minutes of core exercises on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, I started doing an hour or so of Fencing on Monday nights and sparring in "Fight circle" with the Renaissance Club on Thursdays. I also walk all over the place every day to get where I need to go and my calves are definitely burning by the time I reach my destination.

^This.

KTesh
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2010, 4:48 am

Was diagnosed as pre-diabetic a few years ago, went on Jenny Craig, and dropped from 320lbs to 264lbs. Then was hit by a car while cycling, and couldn't continue.

Recently (June), was hit by the desire to get back in the game.
320lbs/145.15kg in Feb
302.5lbs/137.5kg - 7/22/2010
271.4lbs/123.2kg - 9/14/2010

Regime:
cut down to one soda (any size) per day (was easily able to drink over a gallon over 24hrs)
making better choices for meals (often skipping desserts/treats)
Running w/the Wii Fit's program for 1/2hr/day (about 6.3miles
Riding bicycle everywhere.
Reading/Praying/Church also play a role.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:35 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:
I am trying to lose weight... I am a fat person who lives at her parents and thus cannot really influence her diet. Thus I started exercising religiously. Since I have heard that it is most important for the health to have endurance, but muscle per se, I walk every day for more than 2 hours. It feels good doing it but the morning after is always terrible. Even worse than mornings normally are.

Maybe you should cut back on how long you are walking? One of the biggest mistakes people make, who are trying to lose weight, is to do a lot of exercise early on, hoping to have quick results. If you are feeling terrible the morning after, you are going to get discouraged, and be in danger of quitting altogether. Get a pedometer, and plan to walk for thirty minutes. Take a day's break to see how you feel. Then slowly add more minutes to your walk, to see how much you can take. That way you are likely to stick with it. The idea is not to abuse your body, but gently coax it to handle more. Believe me, I suffer from Chronic Fatigue, and had to learn the hard way to pace myself. Before I had this, I used to jog every day, plus take dance classes. No wonder I burned out. :(

The issue is that the good routes are all a really long walk. I hate just to walk to walk, I need a reason to do it somewhere to go... most of the time a library or a place to read (away from my parents, but having a bench and a table) or a certain park...

What is a pedometer?

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2010, 4:24 am

In 11 weeks the end of 2009 I lost 33 pounds. Than I lost an extra 10 pounds earlier this month but now I am stuck on the same weight for 6 months now. So I hope to loose another 40 pounds. My total weight loss I want about 80 pounds maybe 90. It depends. I am total a "average" weight for me is 165 to 185. So I don't want to be too skinny just healthy.

nuckingfuts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

I’ve Lost 82 lbs

Here is what I did.
Stop eating so much sugar ( high fructose corn syrup) switch to honey to wean your self off all of the sugar.
No more diet soda. ( if you need a drink water is the best) Aspartame is a poison it will kill you.
Try to eat more natural i.e. Fruits, Veggie’s, no dairy if it can be avoided (I still eat cheese every now and then) little to no meat.
Try to only eat 50% of your daily Value of fats. If you feel like you need more eat more nuts.

What helps me is to think of a cave man.

He would forage for food. And mostly eat fruits, veggies, nuts and root type veggies.

Before all of this technology man hardly ever would eat meat. It took a lot of energy to kill an animal.

And some one once told me.
“the difference between Dead people and Alive people is movement, so if you want to be alive start moving.” it’s a race, death is right behind you, if you walk, it will take longer to catch up, if you run even longer.

Start out slow.

Check your weight EVERY DAY to stay motivated!! !
But remember due to the way the human body works you will gain and loose weight all day long. Try weighing your self multiple times a day to learn how you body reacts to the food your eating. (mine can jump 10 lbs a day) So don’t get discouraged if your weight is up one day because it will be down the next.

Get to know your body, Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Oh yeah and It's not a DIET!! !! !! !! ! your trying to be HEALTHIER.

And most important give your self a day off. Choose one, I like Saturday because I’m usually with my family. Then and I can eat any thing I want!

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 10:03 am

nuckingfuts wrote:
Check your weight EVERY DAY to stay motivated!! !
But remember due to the way the human body works you will gain and loose weight all day long. Try weighing your self multiple times a day to learn how you body reacts to the food your eating. (mine can jump 10 lbs a day) So don’t get discouraged if your weight is up one day because it will be down the next.

Get to know your body, Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Oh yeah and It's not a DIET!! !! !! !! ! your trying to be HEALTHIER.

And most important give your self a day off. Choose one, I like Saturday because I’m usually with my family. Then and I can eat any thing I want!

Um, checking my weight constantly makes me feel worse. Especially when I retain water weight and my number goes up. I'm banned from using the scale at my house. I'd only check once a week and I felt like it wasn't helping. I became obsessed with the number. If I gained three pounds even though I was eating well and exercising all week, I felt like I didn't accomplish anything. :(

No, it's a diet, there's no sugar-coating it. The people who "try to be healthier" are always just wanting to look better and are sacrificing what they want to do it. The people who are already hot eat whatever they want and look at me funny when I refuse to eat wings with them. Lucky people with a high metabolism. D:

It's better to just use one meal a week to get your cravings in. If you're eating bad ALL day, you'll lose all the progress you have made during the week. I only eat one dessert that's not a fruit in a week and I still feel like I'm not making any good progress. Stupid college food. >.<

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 10:05 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:
I am trying to lose weight... I am a fat person who lives at her parents and thus cannot really influence her diet. Thus I started exercising religiously. Since I have heard that it is most important for the health to have endurance, but muscle per se, I walk every day for more than 2 hours. It feels good doing it but the morning after is always terrible. Even worse than mornings normally are.

Maybe you should cut back on how long you are walking? One of the biggest mistakes people make, who are trying to lose weight, is to do a lot of exercise early on, hoping to have quick results. If you are feeling terrible the morning after, you are going to get discouraged, and be in danger of quitting altogether. Get a pedometer, and plan to walk for thirty minutes. Take a day's break to see how you feel. Then slowly add more minutes to your walk, to see how much you can take. That way you are likely to stick with it. The idea is not to abuse your body, but gently coax it to handle more. Believe me, I suffer from Chronic Fatigue, and had to learn the hard way to pace myself. Before I had this, I used to jog every day, plus take dance classes. No wonder I burned out. :(

The issue is that the good routes are all a really long walk. I hate just to walk to walk, I need a reason to do it somewhere to go... most of the time a library or a place to read (away from my parents, but having a bench and a table) or a certain park...

What is a pedometer?

A pedometer is a little device that you can use to keep track of how many steps you take. I used to think it was a device used to determine who's a pedophile. XD

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm

nuckingfuts wrote:
I’ve Lost 82 lbs

Here is what I did.
Stop eating so much sugar ( high fructose corn syrup) switch to honey to wean your self off all of the sugar.
No more diet soda. ( if you need a drink water is the best) Aspartame is a poison it will kill you.
Try to eat more natural i.e. Fruits, Veggie’s, no dairy if it can be avoided (I still eat cheese every now and then) little to no meat.
Try to only eat 50% of your daily Value of fats. If you feel like you need more eat more nuts.

What's been working for me is to a) avoid sugar like the plague (except as noted below) b) avoid carbs like the plauge (except as noted below) c) I've been avoiding all drinks except water and sparkling water (be sure it doesn't have too much sodium), and drinking a ton of these (1 oz a day for every 2 lbs body weight at least is my goal) - I'm not sure why diet soda / artificial sweetner is bad for diet (though i certainly can understand why its bad for you in the long run, just I'm not sure how it would negatively impact your weight) d) try to avoid sodium as much as possible - makes you retain water. What I have been eating - lots of fruit - grapefruit, apples, grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, grilled chicken, steamed veggies, nonfat Riccotta cheese (very high ratio of protein to calories, like 10 g protein for 50 calories), occasionally some ground turkey or turkey burgers, occasional slice of lowfat cheese, occasional slice of Ezekial bread. Not cheating though is tough. I don't weigh myself, just watch my wasteline. Not making as much progress as I was but I have to admit have cheated a little bit more - those 1/2 day a week cheatings (when I still tried to follow the above rules as much as possible, just having something small that's good) have started turning in to maybe twice a week.

Sometimes I just don't know if I even want to keep going - I made a lot of progress and while I haven't quite reached my goal in terms of my appearance, I feel more and more like its impossible and I really just want to maintain myself where I am now, and am thinking that means eating well maybe 80% of the time and eating what I want just a little bit more often and keeping up the exercising that I've been doing. But it would be so easy to just go back and eat whatever I want for a week or so its hard to keep myself disciplined.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2010, 2:03 pm

I've lost 9 pounds since late August :)

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2010, 1:25 am

Checking your weight every day is not a good idea. Your weight changes and goes up and down every day. So It's better to check your weight once a week in the morning same time every week and same day every week. Sometimes others check it once a month but once a day isn't a good idea.

nuckingfuts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 9:27 am

sorry

Last edited by nuckingfuts on 07 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuckingfuts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 9:42 am

sorry

Last edited by nuckingfuts on 07 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuckingfuts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 9:57 am

sorry

Last edited by nuckingfuts on 07 Oct 2010, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuckingfuts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 10:26 am

SORRY

Last edited by nuckingfuts on 07 Oct 2010, 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 2:56 pm

Thanks for the list of symptoms with artificial sweeteners. I'm sure in sufficient concentrations over a long enough period of time, any artificial sweetener could cause just about any bad thing you can think of. Yet nowhere in that list do I see anything that indicates it will prevent or hinder weight loss, so again, purely from the standpoint of dieting to lose weight, I don't see how artificial sweetener will prevent that.

Yes, to lose weight lots of water helps. Basically the liver has two functions - back up the kidneys and metabolize (consume) fat. Your kidneys work best when there's lots of water. If you don't drink enough, your liver is busy doing what your kidneys should be doing instead of metabolizing fat. That's why lots of water is important to dieting.

And yes, people's weights fluctuate from day to day, even while overall their weight is trending downwards or upwards. Plus typical bathroom scales (at least digital ones) aren't that accurate, can be affected by things like temperature etc. So for those reason I don't think its productive to weigh yourself every day.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 3:57 pm

Diet soda contain Aspartame which is a substance that slows down your metabolism greatly. On your list there, it even says "gradual weight gain." So one diet soda every once in a while is okay but I wouldn't drink it all the time. I'm more of a water, tea and juice person. :)